The Firm album - How It Should've Been

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

lescratch

Re: The Firm album - How It Should've Been

Post by lescratch »

Thanks! @Cairokid Would be amazing to have these in even higher quality. I did come across a bootleg 12 on discogs that had 'hardest thing to stay alive'.

Have you seen this promotional cassette? https://www.discogs.com/Nas-Nature-Exce ... se/5135239" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the info! I'll start a new thread for this tonight

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

Brandan I think Stevie wanted to tie him into a production deal. (maybe with the Trackmasters involved) Cormega doesn't like one of the dudes.
Ask him...

cairokid

Post by cairokid »

lescratch wrote:Thanks! @Cairokid Would be amazing to have these in even higher quality. I did come across a bootleg 12 on discogs that had 'hardest thing to stay alive'.

Have you seen this promotional cassette? https://www.discogs.com/Nas-Nature-Exce ... se/5135239" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the info! I'll start a new thread for this tonight
I think I've heard about that tape before. The images look familiar. Cool stuff!

itzmurda

Post by itzmurda »

I own that cassette. It's the source of "The Curse" snippet.

lescratch

Post by lescratch »

Whoa! I know it's a lot to ask but think you can upload a .wav of that @itzmurda? I'll find somebody who'll perform magic on a cassette-rip. :)

lescratch

Post by lescratch »

@cairokid the tape confirms a couple IAM tracks as well as shows 'triple threat' was meant for nature

itzmurda

Post by itzmurda »

lescratch wrote:Whoa! I know it's a lot to ask but think you can upload a .wav of that @itzmurda? I'll find somebody who'll perform magic on a cassette-rip. :)
I don't currently have the means to rip cassette tapes, but I may try to get what I need in the near future.

cairokid

Post by cairokid »

lescratch wrote:@cairokid the tape confirms a couple IAM tracks as well as shows 'triple threat' was meant for nature
Here's the best version I have of The Curse, in 192 kbps. This comes from "Vamp" who was a well known member of the various Nas message boards back in the day. Before he posted this, to my knowledge, there was only a really really bad quality version of it. He always claimed to have heard/or have the full version of the song, but who knows, as it never has leaked. This is likely the version that is floating around the 'net, at least it used to be. I recall people going crazy when he posted this. to have it in great quality finally (just the snippet!) made people lose their minds!

https://www.sendspace.com/file/126mke" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BrandanEvans

Post by BrandanEvans »

lets keep it on Firm Biz fellas

final product coming dj filthy rich?
"Rap is something u do, Hip-Hop is something u live"

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

yeah Brandan....like I mentioned before, I'm waiting for the Desperados bootleg to arrive in the mail so I can record it and include it in my compilation.
I got the Nas 'I Am' thread started which you were asking for. Go ahead and start posting your 'I Am' tracks & info in there homie

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

Here's a refix I did of Half A Mill, Animal & AZ's 'Quiet Money (Blood Money)'. The beat was so mafioso it was perfect for The Firm, but I figured it'd be better if I replaced Animal's verse with a verse from Foxy to make it more Firm-like. Lemme know what you guys think....

AZ, Foxy Brown, Half A Mill - Quiet Money (Blood Money) [Filthy Rich refix]
http://www109.zippyshare.com/v/WUJbtgCd/file.html

Thereallex

Post by Thereallex »

Friend of Ours with E-Money Bags, Nature and G Rap would be a great addition imo.
I have two versions, both poor audio, one being polluted by Clue
Does anyone have a clean and proper audio ?
One of the most exciting threads ever
Thanks to all the contributors

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

^true, but I doubt that somebody has the boots at hand for clean audio. Also there are 2 versions of the song. (diff beat)

https://www.discogs.com/de/E-Moneybags- ... se/1436521" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ...haha G Rap

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

This is a draft of a blend I did for the Firm project (but not sure if I should keep it or not). It's Cormega's "Angel Dust" acapella over the Real Live 'Turnaround' beat. It has kind of a mafioso vibe to it, but in a different way than the slow guitar samples used on other tracks on the Firm album. What do you guys think?

Cormega - Angel Dust (DJ Filthy Rich blend)
http://www56.zippyshare.com/v/8TWqR3NK/file.html

BrandanEvans

Post by BrandanEvans »

im feeling it no doubt, its tight!!
the original beat on Angel Dust is fire too tho, one of my all time favs from Cormega

but i love what u did.....its up to u tho if u want to add that to the final project

BrandanEvans

Post by BrandanEvans »

and i dont think some people here knows who Real Live is...which is sad

Thereallex

Post by Thereallex »

The blend is well done really but i dont get the mafioso vibe to it, honest. Hard hitting K-Def nonetheless and a great blend for us ; )
Maybe the Dre-Produced Ghetto Fabulous instrumental off Ras Kass could fit, even though not quite the same tempo, fear you'd have to pitch down Mega's a capella way too much.

Stieflkater, curious about the two versions of Friend of ours you mentioned - only know the beat that uses the same sample as Hi-Teks Karma for Mood

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

Thereallex wrote:The blend is well done really but i dont get the mafioso vibe to it, honest. Hard hitting K-Def nonetheless and a great blend for us ; )
Maybe the Dre-Produced Ghetto Fabulous instrumental off Ras Kass could fit, even though not quite the same tempo, fear you'd have to pitch down Mega's a capella way too much.

Stieflkater, curious about the two versions of Friend of ours you mentioned - only know the beat that uses the same sample as Hi-Teks Karma for Mood ; if you could upload them, that'd be a great addition to my hoarding :cheers:
Sorry, maybe I have dreamt it. I can't find the 2nd version atm.

At least here is the one you know in 320: (got this on the net - quality is good enough to be included on the Firm boot)

Code: Select all

https://www.sendspace.com/file/nwgtmx

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

Cool track, but I don't think the beat has a mafioso vibe to it. If there's an acapella, I can try putting it over a more fitting beat

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

Here's my blend of Nas - The Setup. A crime tale over a mafioso beat....

Nas - The Setup (DJ Filthy Rich blend)
http://www56.zippyshare.com/v/r70sjnrD/file.html

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

G Rap drops a mafioso verse though...no a cappella...I don't know how to point out a mafioso beat unless it samples e.g. The Godfather's Theme...

Nas blend is way better than the Mega one you did. Not including "Friend Of Ours" would be an epic fail. (especially for the G Rap verse - E-Money n Nature too) Matter of fact if we talking mafia theme G Rap shits on the whole comp. straight Goodfella rap...

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

Friend Of Ours has a Firm member on it and E-Money Bags is mentioned in Firm song(s)/ has worked with Nas. The recording date also fits the timeframe. The other G Rap stuff wouldn't have any real connection. Too bad the Half-A-Mill La Famiglia solo version is too low qual to blend it.
Maybe we should do a poll on Friend Of Ours. hahaha just kidding...I also don't see "Everyday Thing" having a mafiosi beat, but do what you like.

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

djfilthyrich wrote:
Thereallex wrote:The blend is well done really but i dont get the mafioso vibe to it, honest. Hard hitting K-Def nonetheless and a great blend for us ; )
Thanks for the feedback homie. Yeah, I was on the fence about that one. It's hard to have mafioso uptempo joints. I've decided to cut it from The Firm project.
That's a great suggestion about the Ghetto Fabulous beat! I'll see if I can match any acapellas with it. If you have any other instrumental suggestions, lemme know. I have a few that I'm currently trying to match up, but not much luck so far...
Will be dropping another blend later today....this time of Nas....
Thanks to the suggestion from Thereallex, we now have a new and improved blend of Cormega's 'Angel Dust', and this beat sounds like it fits in more with The Firm project.

Cormega ft Havoc - Angel Dust (DJ Filthy Rich blend #2)
http://www102.zippyshare.com/v/hRdW5mHv/file.html

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

djfilthyrich wrote:Here's a refix I did of Half A Mill, Animal & AZ's 'Quiet Money (Blood Money)'. The beat was so mafioso it was perfect for The Firm, but I figured it'd be better if I replaced Animal's verse with a verse from Foxy to make it more Firm-like. Lemme know what you guys think....

AZ, Foxy Brown, Half A Mill - Quiet Money (Blood Money) [Filthy Rich refix]
http://www109.zippyshare.com/v/WUJbtgCd/file.html
Good job. I also thought this song could be used but Animal ruined it. My alternative would have been to just delete his verse.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Thereallex

Post by Thereallex »

[quote="djfilthyrich"]It's hard to have mafioso uptempo joints. I've decided to cut it from The Firm project.
That's a great suggestion about the Ghetto Fabulous beat! I'll see if I can match any acapellas with it. If you have any other instrumental suggestions, lemme know. I have a few that I'm currently trying to match up, but not much luck so far...

Raekwon - Black Mozart instrumental
Mastas of illusions - Partnas Confused instrumental

All sample Jesus Acosta and the professionals interpretation of the Godfather theme, as well as Phil Da agony - Clear the lane; cheaper sample than Nino Rota i guess...

Only Kutmasta Kut took the time to work on his beat and make sthg outta the sample ; E-Swift and RZA were lazy as fuck on those. Maybe this K Kut instro deserves to be in the comp, as it is really crafted and as long as we don't drawn the Firm project into a general mafioso theme project ; ).

Beats with Godfather samples of course make a mafioso based instrumental, but some strings and horns arrangements can create the Goodfella atmosphere, as well as mandolin tunes or some ol piano, ragtime sounding- look Dre's quick underwork on Morricone's Al Capone theme from The Untouchables for Sosa vs the State - This sample, as well as the Poverty theme from Once upon a time one America, would deserve a proper flip and work, as they cry out to be sampled and turned into hip hop bangers. Still can't believe they didn't make a track out of it and just laid it simply as the LP intro. It sets a mood no doubt and gives depth, but sthg was missed there nonetheless imo.

Again, we don't want to drawn the comp with blends, but as far as instrumentals go Filthy Rich,Not the Godfather, Taj Mahal, Criminal Loot, Deep Fried, Grimy Strings by DJ Grumble could inspire you and make a good addition to a Deluxe Philaflava Firm Edition... :phila:

If i Had to choose one more, long side the Partnas Confused, an original and nice instrumental to make a blend to and to fit a balanced Philaflava Firm Edition would be Stomy Bugsy - Avoir le pouvoir instrumental, off the Ma 6-té va cracker OST (My Hood will burn). If ya'll don't know about this piece of the french golden era, make sure you check it or even cop the double vinyl edition with the instros, as this is great work really...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHs_X3_dIWY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Curious to see what blend you could get off from your magic hat with this one Filth' :cheers: - the Ghetto fabulous blend works perfectly imo. Great work again, you definitely got skills, proper work in here...

Thanks for your link Stieflkater, this is a better audio than what i had ; i do think too that Friend of ours has to be in the comp. The Donnie Brasco inspired theme, Nature, firm member, E-Money-Bags, firm featured, G Rap as the QB Mafioso Don voucher... Lots of reasons to count the track in, even though this is no gambino tune. But as Filthy put it, each one can upgrade the comp, we'll see.

Thank you to ya'll !!!

step one

Post by step one »

At this stage you could probably hook up 3 cds worth of material
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

BrandanEvans

Post by BrandanEvans »

another mafioso beat is that Kool G Rap "On The Run" remix instrumental...that track was about mafioso

NWA appetite for destruction is mafioso beat....
AZ mo money mo murder mo homicide beat.....
AZ uncut raw beat is kinda mafioso......
Jay Z friend or foe ( the one with the horns, is a mafioso beat too)...

Thereallex

Post by Thereallex »

step one wrote:At this stage you could probably hook up 3 cds worth of material
True, that's why blends are a good idea but have to be limited and chosen to make the final cut ; everybody can customize it afterwards, but i'd be curious and eager to have Filthy Rich crafting sthg with Partnas Confused and Avoir le pouvoir :gyeah:

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

I imagined Dj Filthy Rich exec producing the real Firm Album, sitting in his office telling The Trackmasters "no guys, I told you already... its not mafioso enough!"

This could be an ill Firm blend with the original Cormega verse (one of his best ever verses) and a Nas/AZ acca.

Also agree that The Promise would be dope to blend. But the beat is like is like a 2 bar loop, so you could loop it yourself right from the start where Foxy says "ungh" - sounds like thats the cleanest loop you could make.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB