Re-imagining of Nas "I Am"

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

djfilthyrich

Re: Re-imagining of Nas "I Am"

Post by djfilthyrich »

Good work on this Lescratch.
This album was supposed to have an autobiographical theme, from birth, to a young man, to death, and to rebirth. It would be cool to have these tracks arranged as best as possible in some sort of storyline. I know Claaa7 attempted one of his own, but had left some tracks out:

http://claaa7.blogspot.ca/2010/11/nas-i ... raphy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95721" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He ends his version with 'Afterlife' & 'Amongst Kings' (presumably setting up for the Nastradamus album). I've also seen people end disc #1 with those tracks, and have a bunch of the tracks above on their disc #2. Of course nobody knows for sure what the exact tracklisting would've been, but it would be interesting to try and sequence these songs.

I started to try and make a version using Claaa's version as a guide. I also removed a few tracks I hated like 'You Won't See Me Tonight', 'Pray', etc.
I know this isn't perfect, but ths is what I have so far. I'll be tinkering around with it until I feel that it works storywise.
Thoughts guys? Any suggestions on arrangement?

01 - Fetus.mp3
02 - Poppa Was A Playa.mp3
03 - Project Windows (ft Ron Isley).mp3
04 - New York State Of Mind Pt2.mp3
05 - Blaze a 50.mp3
06 - Money Is My Bitch.mp3
07 - Day Dreamin' Stay Schemin'.mp3
08 - Dr. Knockboot.mp3
09 - K-I-S-S-I-N-G.mp3
10 - Find Ya Wealth.mp3
11 - Small World.mp3
12 - Life Is What You Make It (ft DMX).mp3
13 - Favor for a Favor (ft Scarface).mp3
14 - Wanna Play Rough.mp3
15 - Hardest Thing To Do (Stay Alive).mp3
16 - Sometimes I Wonder.mp3
17 - U Gotta Love It.mp3
18 - The Curse (Interlude).mp3
19 - Hate Me Now (Original).mp3
20 - Nas Is Like.mp3
21 - Ghetto Prisoners.mp3
22 - We Will Survive.mp3
23 - The Rise & Fall.mp3
24 - Worst Enemy.mp3
25 - Drunk By Myself.mp3
26 - Undying Love.mp3
27 - Afterlife (Interlude).mp3
28 - Amongst Kings.mp3

cairokid

Post by cairokid »

Just FYI for everyone, DJ Rhude, is apparently dropping Vol.2 of his "The Found Tapes". Vol. 1 had many if not all of the DOE tracks in good, clear,and free quality if I recall. It was a big help in my DOE project I worked on with claaa. I have Vol. 1, but haven't given it a good listen in a while. It's possible there may be some I Am... related tracks on this. On his Instagram account, he has a capture of The Curse, but it looks like it is just the snippet. you can scroll through his Twitter for some info/teases.

https://twitter.com/DJRhude" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJc8jrRg5jj/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BrandanEvans

Post by BrandanEvans »

wow this came together pretty quickly...i love all the tracks on here
most of em i never heard....
@ DJ Filthy Rich....u didnt like You Wont See me Tonight wit Aaliyah??? Wow, that track was crazy!! Timbaland on the beat!! That track is fire, i love that record

people gotta give Nas credit for goin back in the studio to record new joints on the fly cause of the bootlegging, to me that a feat in its self to create new bangers just like that!!
Nas will always get my props for that, and i love the I AM album, but i love to hear these tracks didnt make the album cause i only heard some of them from mixtapes that came out in '99 & 2000
"Rap is something u do, Hip-Hop is something u live"

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Only shitty things about the rhude tapes is they are mixed. And there are drops if i remember correctly

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

Not on the Jay-Z and Sauce rareness he gave. He got joints.

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

He def does

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

Stieflkater wrote:Not on the Jay-Z and Sauce rareness he gave. He got joints.
which tracks are these Stieflkater? do you have a link to them?

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

Here's the DL link for DJ Rhude's 'Found Tapes 2'

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8bsi3 ... apes+2.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dirt_dog

Post by dirt_dog »

FYI, I saw this posted today. Not sure how the quality of the tracks are vs. the ones you already have.

Nature-Queens Classics-WEB-2016-ENRAGED
1. Nature – Kingz of Queens (feat. Tragedy & Black Poet)
2. Nature – Take It On
3. Nature – Jungle Music
4. Nature – Triple Threat (feat. Nas & Noreaga)
5. Nature – The Most Heart (feat. Littles)
6. Nature – Kings of NY (feat. ACD)
7. Nature – Look Who’s Talking
8. Nature – Ultimate High (Pete Rock Remix) (feat. Nas)
9. Nature – You Lose
10. Nature – Magic & Bird (feat. Noreaga)
11. Nature – Shoot Ya Clips Out
12. Nature – Swerving (feat. ACD)
13. Nature – Time (feat. Nas & AZ)
14. Nature – Summer Cookout (feat. Nas)
15. Nature – How Cool (feat. E Money Bags)

http://scnlog.eu/music/nature-queens_cl ... 6-enraged/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or maybe this belongs in The Firm thread? Ive read so many comments I can't keep them straight.

step one

Post by step one »

Yeah the Nature thing was mentioned. Quality is a bit hit and miss by all accounts.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

@ dirtdog - yeah I posted that up in The Firm thread. Thanks though

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

I fixed the stereo panning issues on the 'Street Dreams (K-Def RMX)' off of DJ Rhude's 'The Found Tapes 2'. For some strange reason, K-Def masters a lot of his tracks all fucked up. There are 9 tracks on the Real Live album that are panned all weird too...almost like he panned the left and right channels far to the outside, and there's a big 'hole' in the middle, which throws the listener off. Anybody ever noticed that? I can't even listen to most tracks on that album because of it. Luckily I think I found a way to fix it though. Here you go....

05. Street Dreams (unreleased K-Def RMX) [panning fixed]
http://www79.zippyshare.com/v/dyMtLnIG/file.html

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

^good job, thx

Here is the Jigga stuff: 10 rare tracks - the rest is known, DJ Clark Kent got stuff for days I believe - Hardpack (Jaz, Jay-Z, Sauce), Jay and Sauce, maybe even Jaz. I doubt a limited label will be gangster enough to get em out though. Hardpack for sure is dead according to Clark since they are on bad terms nowadays.

Code: Select all

http://www88.zippyshare.com/v/OaKybDlu/file.html
Rhude cut off E-Money and Horse of "Want It". What a punk...Horse killed it...only 2 highlights..."Queens Style" at right pitch and "Queen's Finest". The rest is either known or wack. Respect for owning all them joints though.

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

Stieflkater wrote:^good job, thx

Here is the Jigga stuff: 10 rare tracks - the rest is known, DJ Clark Kent got stuff for days I believe - Hardpack (Jaz, Jay-Z, Sauce), Jay and Sauce, maybe even Jaz. I doubt a limited label will be gangster enough to get em out though. Hardpack for sure is dead according to Clark since they are on bad terms nowadays.

Code: Select all

http://www88.zippyshare.com/v/OaKybDlu/file.html
Rhude cut off E-Money and Horse of "Want It". What a punk...Horse killed it...only 2 highlights..."Queens Style" at right pitch and "Queen's Finest". The rest is either known or wack. Respect for owning all them joints though.
Thanks for the Jay-Z tracks.

The Rhude compilation also upgraded the quality of some tracks that were previously floating around. I believe these are the best versions of Fetus (Original version), Sometimes I Wonder, Everyday Thing, and Hardest Thing To Do Is Stay Alive that I've heard so far.

Now we just need Nas to drop Lost Tapes 2...

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Hey rich, you ever think of taking nas accapellas and putting them on large professor instrumentals off of beatz vol. 1 and 2?

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

madstadik wrote:Hey rich, you ever think of taking nas accapellas and putting them on large professor instrumentals off of beatz vol. 1 and 2?
naw that thought never occurred to me (it's a good idea though)....probably because I have a ton of mixtape projects I wanna finish but can't find the time to do them all

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

If u ever get the time that would be dope. Especially since everyone bitches nas needs to do more tracks w extra p.

step one

Post by step one »

someone tweeted me about this earlier. Don't remember it being discussed before and don't recall any Meth or D'Angelo collabs appearing on any mixtapes or the numerous Nas bootlegs out there. Anyone know anything?

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

I remember seeing that too. Never heard any confirmation if anything got recorded. I swear someone said meth missed the studio session

dirt_dog

Post by dirt_dog »

step one wrote:someone tweeted me about this earlier. Don't remember it being discussed before and don't recall any Meth or D'Angelo collabs appearing on any mixtapes or the numerous Nas bootlegs out there. Anyone know anything?
I had totally forgotten about this. But then i remembered I asked around several years ago before I posted a rip of the promo sampler tape on TROY:

http://www.thetroyblog.com/2011/12/29/n ... ette-1996/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Really nothing special on this promo sampler cassette. A Kid Capri Source freestyle and a couple excerpts of some tracks that didn’t make the album and took several years before they got released. But it was during the outro in the last 15 seconds of the tape that had always grabbed my attention. “And guest appearances by Lauren Hill, D’Angelo and Method Man…”

As we all know when “It Was Written” dropped, there were clearly no tracks with Method Man or D’Angelo. I (like many others) always assumed that those tracks were locked away in Nas’ vaults.

But according to DJ Mike Nice, “the Meth session in 96 never took place, Meth was to be on it was written but missed the studio session” and “D’angelo missed his session with Nas as well.”

Really?!? Kind of a disappointing end to the story. Well, here’s the promo tape. Side 2 is exactly the same as side 1, but I ripped it anyways. All scans are included in the rar file."

step one

Post by step one »

cool, thanks man. The dude that tweeted me said the version of If I Ruled The World is different on that tape?

dirt_dog

Post by dirt_dog »

step one wrote:cool, thanks man. The dude that tweeted me said the version of If I Ruled The World is different on that tape?
Here. You tell me. Side 1 and side 2 are the same, but I recorded them both anyways. Scans included too

https://mega.nz/#!rkQWkBQI!jzlN7N9xtbGm ... V_S1AfxmUs

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Big up dirt!

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

I had that sampler back in the day...I had subscribed to The Source, and it was included in one of their issues. Mine looked like the one Step posted above. Thanks for ripping it dirtdog. I noticed that your scans don't have the info like the one Step posted. Where did you get your sampler from? Yeah, I think if 'I Ruled The World' is slightly different (Lauryn's background singing in the beginning, etc). Never noticed it back then.
Step...I remember seeing that info about Meth and D'Angelo too, and was disappointed that they were missing when the retail album dropped.
Nas apparently was supposed to be on Lauryn's first album, but he missed the studio session. He said it's one of his great regrets

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Rappers and time management smh

dirt_dog

Post by dirt_dog »

djfilthyrich wrote:I had that sampler back in the day...I had subscribed to The Source, and it was included in one of their issues. Mine looked like the one Step posted above. Thanks for ripping it dirtdog. I noticed that your scans don't have the info like the one Step posted. Where did you get your sampler from? Yeah, I think if 'I Ruled The World' is slightly different (Lauryn's background singing in the beginning, etc). Never noticed it back then.
Pretty sure my guys at The Beat Parlor (record store) in Chicago gave it to me. They used to save all kinds of oddities for me back then.

BrandanEvans

Post by BrandanEvans »

Method Man & D Angelo? wow...that woulda been insane!!

missing studio sessions back then seems very normal, but bad for hip hop history....
u got these 2 then u got a big one wit Nas missing the studio session for Jay's Can I Live track in which Nas said he will come thru...

i mean damn...
"Rap is something u do, Hip-Hop is something u live"

lescratch

Post by lescratch »

Can somebody let @dirtdog know this is the link for below? I'm still not able to PM. Thanks!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rrltsdu4ivla ... 4seja?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nas - Iam / Nastradamus / D.O.E. - Leftovers
1 Fetus (Belly Button Window) (ori...
2 Small World
3 Money Is My Bitch
4 Project Windows (original)
5 Poppa Was A Playa
6 Dr. Knockboot
7 Day Dreamin', Stay Schemin'
8 Sometimes I Wonder
9 Hardest Thing To Do Is Stay Alive
10 Drunk By Myself
11 Wanna Play (Rough)
12 Blaze A 50
13 We Will Survive
14 Nas Is Like
15 Hate Me Now (original)
16 Nature’s Shine (feat. Nature)
17 Afterlife Interlude
18 Amongst Kings
19 The Curse
20 Pray (feat. The Bravehearts)
21 Rise & Fall
22 Hustlers & Killers
23 Find Ya Wealth
24 Never Gonna Give It Up
25 Gangsta Tears
26 U Gotta Love It
27 My Worst Enemy
28 Seeds of Heaven
29 Your Mouth Got You In It
30 Tales From The Hood
31 You Don't Know
32 My Way
33 Nothing Last Forever
34 Project's Too Hot (feat. 50 Cent &...

dirt_dog

Post by dirt_dog »

lescratch wrote:Can somebody let @dirtdog know this is the link for below? I'm still not able to PM. Thanks!
Got it. Thanks (to you and everyone involved) for putting this together.