Ant Banks Thread (Respect The Bay Area Legend)...

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

HeRBaN LyRiX
Location: NoRTH CaCKaLaCK by way of tha O~DouBLe T, CaNaDa baby!!!

Ant Banks Thread (Respect The Bay Area Legend)...

Post by HeRBaN LyRiX »

Always loved his production & felt that he provided Spice 1, Too $hort & countless others with the beats that helped them create some of their best work. He hasn`t truly received the props that he should get, that being said let his music do the talking...

Ant Banks - Sittin` On Somethin` Phat
Label: Jive/Dangerous Music
Released: 1993

1. 2 The Head
2. Late Night Fuck
3. Roll `Em Phat
4. U Just A Punk
5. Livin` The Life
6. Sittin` On Somethin` Phat
7. Lyin` On Yo` Dick {ft. Mhisani}
8. Spice 1 Wit` Da Banksta {ft. Spice 1}
9. Only Out To Fuck
10. Hit It {ft. Mhisani, Pooh-Man & Too $hort}
11. The End

BaCK~uP LiNK #1
BaCK~uP LiNK #2
BaCK~uP LiNK #3

N`JoY...
Last edited by HeRBaN LyRiX on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herban-lyrix.blogspot.ca

HeRBaN LyRiX

Re: Ant Banks Thread (Respect The Bay Area Legend)...

Post by HeRBaN LyRiX »

Probably my fav` Ant Banks album, still got the cassette...

Ant Banks – The Big Badass
Label: Jive Records
Released: 1994

1. The Big Badass
2. 2 Kill A G {ft. Spice 1 & Too $hort}
3. Streets Of Oakland {ft. Boots}
4. The Drunken Fool
5. Parlayin` {ft. Goldy}
6. Clownin` Wit` Da Crew {ft. Father Dom, Pee-Wee, Rappin` Ron, Ant Diddley Dog & Too $hort}
7. Fuckin` Wit` Banks {ft. Goldy & Too $hort}
8. Straight Hustlin`
9. Pimp Style Gangstas {ft. Rappin` Ron & Ant Diddley Dog}
10. The Loot {ft. Too $hort}
11. Packin` A Gat
12. Hard As Hell

BaCK~uP LiNK #1
BaCK~uP LiNK #2
BaCK~uP LiNK #3

N`JoY...
Last edited by HeRBaN LyRiX on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herban-lyrix.blogspot.ca

HeRBaN LyRiX

Post by HeRBaN LyRiX »

Ant Banks – Big Thangs
Label: Priority
Released: 1997

1. Intro
2. Big Thangs {ft. Too $hort & Ice Cube}
3. Coolin` In The Luff {ft. Chuey Gomez}
4. Can`t Stop {ft. E-40 & Mack 10}
5. West Riden’ {ft. King T & Spice 1}
6. Hard Knox {ft. J-Dubb & W.C.}
7. Gamblin` (Wit` Ice-T)
8. 4 Tha Hustlas {ft. Too $hort, 2Pac & MC Breed}
9. Time Is Tickin` {ft. Bad-N-Fluenz}
10. Cutaluff [Intro By Dr. Dre] {ft. Slink Capone}
11. Hoo-Ride Ant Banks {ft. B-Legit, MeanGree, MC Ant & Baby D}
12. Make Money {ft. CJ Mac & K-Dee}
13. Playa Paraphernalia [Intro By Coolio] {ft. J-Dubb & Rappin` 4-Tay}
14. Fien {ft. Allfrumtha I}
15. You Want Me Back {ft. Audrian, J-Dubb & CJ Mac}
16. Outro

BaCK~uP LiNK #1
BaCK~uP LiNK #2
BaCK~uP LiNK #3

N`JoY...
herban-lyrix.blogspot.ca

Fritz

Post by Fritz »

dope thread, ant banks & shorty b were a hell of a team.
Here are some dangerous crew interviews from way back:
http://www.dubcnn.com/2013/04/15/too-sh ... ew-series/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Features with other members of the Dangerous Crew over the last few years including Shorty B (Part 1 | Part 2), Pee-Wee, Spice-1 (Part 1 | Part 2), Goldy, MC Breed (Part 1 | Part 2), Ant Diddley Dog of Bad N-Fluenz (Part 1 | Part 2) and others has seen the re-emergence of many Dangerous Crew fans, as well as giving many readers of the West Coast News Network an opportunity to read and learn about the Dangerous Crew’s history and contributions to hip-hop.

dochiphop

Post by dochiphop »

ya man I agree Ant Banks is heavily slept on and under appreciated. Sittin' on somethin' phat is a dope ass album!!! Now I'm gonna go back and listen to it again cuz I haven't heard it in a while... Good topic man. Peace

Fritz

Post by Fritz »

for his more recent work:
https://www.discogs.com/Pooh-Man-Kaos-T ... se/6437951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Banks did the whole damn album except for two songs, man. He didn’t do “Macaroni”, and he didn’t do “Free”
source http://www.dubcnn.com/2017/01/18/danger ... uary-2017/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

always been a fan of AB. got a lotta of his joints on WCC.

HeRBaN LyRiX

Post by HeRBaN LyRiX »

Ay yo good lookin` out on sharing the dubcnn links Fritz, found this bit of the Shorty B interview to be quite interesting...

"...And then the funny part, this is the God-to-honest truth, Jive gave Ant Banks a record deal thinkin’ he was me!

Dubcnn: Are you serious??

Hell yeah! They gave Ant Banks a record deal, but Ant banks wasn’t makin’ the music. Ant Banks was just mixin’ the music. I don’t know how they thought that shit, cuz it was fucked up. A lotta shit that was sold, soley mine, $hort kinda played me out of it, and put “Produced by The Dangerous Crew.” That wasn’t no goddamn Dangerous Crew, that was produced by Shorty B! Period!

Dubcnn: So in the credits, if it says Produced by The Dangerous Crew, it’s really Shorty B?

Yeah that’s me, cuz them muthafuckaz didn’t play nothin’!! Goddamn! The reason why Ant Banks ain’t poppin’ is cuz Ant Banks, I think he got confused himself and started to think that he was really gonna be, he wanted to be Dr. Dre, but how you gonna be Dr. Dre and it’s me! But see, Jive didn’t know that and that’s why they dropped him after they found out that Banks couldn’t deliver. That’s it, they dropped him. I was like, “you stupid muthafuckas, it wasn’t him from the beginning!” Cuz Banks don’t play nothin’...

Dubcnn: But what about his TWDY albums…?

I mean, you know he producin’ doin’ alright. And then Banks got a song called 4 Tha Hustlaz, with 2Pac on it, that’s me, that’s my shit - I did that song! That’s all Shorty B. So there was some old faulty shit goin’ on, but I knew it couldn’t really hold me back cuz I knew it was comin’ from my fingers. I knew where it was comin’ from. Even if my homies had confused themselves, I knew where it was comin’ from, and everybody else knew. Cuz it’s my sound to this day..."

Source: http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/shortyb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
herban-lyrix.blogspot.ca

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

One of my top 5 producers! He had the best bass lines in the history of rap music, imo. My favorite album of his is The Big Badass (first Banks solo joint I heard, btw).

fuck it, we makin' ducats, never ridin' buckets, playin' punk bitches like puppets

And thanx for sharin' that Shorty B interview. I really hope that Shorty is PHin' but knowin' how shady the game is, I wouldn't be surprised if what he says is true.
HeRBaN LyRiX wrote:The reason why Ant Banks ain’t poppin’ is cuz Ant Banks, I think he got confused himself and started to think that he was really gonna be, he wanted to be Dr. Dre, but how you gonna be Dr. Dre and it’s me!
So basically, Banks was just like Dre, lol.

Fritz

Post by Fritz »

Thanks for reminding me again of the content, I read them a long time ago. I don't know enough about the timeline of Ant Banks productions to validate Shorty B's claims, like I do with Dr Dre. Also its a harder case to validate since Shorty B didn't make music any more after he left the Dangerous Crew (not totally sure). With Daz en Dr Dre it was quite easy, Daz claimed he produced Dr Dre's music, Dre left, and Daz his music wasn't as good as it was with the Dr Dre stamp on it (in my opinion).

I hope shorty B is still gonna share his unreleased music one day.