Philaflava.com :: • View topic - Saukrates-Father Time (Shelved Album)

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:09 pm 

Been revisiting this lately. I think its really dope and would love to see Soxx release this properly. Does anyone know if a proper promo tape of this even exists? We’ve all heard the shitty quality tape rip that the scene released years back but i was hoping something else existed. I know someone here cleaned up the mp3 only tape rip of the crustified dibbs tape and it sounded significantly better. Would anyone here be willing to clean up the saukrates album? I know it sucks to work with mp3 instead of having a pure .wav rip with all the transcoding. I have it saved as one long audacity file if anyone wants me to send it their way... a few mp3 tape only rips I wouldn’t mind someone taking a crack at are

Code:
Freddie_Foxxx-Crazy_Like_a_Fox-1995-CMS (Still prefer this version over the reissue)
Trigger_Tha_Gambler-Lifes_A_50-50_Gamble-2001-CMS
Ras_Kass-Soul_On_Ice(Demo_Version)-1995-CMS
Saukrates-Father_Time-1997-FTD

I also have a .wav rip of the pudgee-king of new york album... was disappointed how back2daSource handled that one. I hooked em up w the whole tape and they pulled from different sources and fucked up the sequencing smh. Anyways this post is long enough... hit me up if you have them “mastering” skills

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:28 am 

What's the tracklist of the Father Time tape? I might have some of the tracks in HQ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:50 am 

I appreciate the offer. I own the brickhouse ep and the underground tapes so i have some of the songs. I just dont wanna piece it together from multiple sources

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:40 pm 

There is a deluxe version from the the underground tapes, maybe that release has some missing tracks in good quality.
http://www.largehiphop.com/2017/07/sauk ... -2017.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:09 pm 

madstadik wrote:
I appreciate the offer. I own the brickhouse ep and the underground tapes so i have some of the songs. I just dont wanna piece it together from multiple sources

Ok, send me the audio homie....I should be able to improve it for you. I can try some different filters, etc and try to fix the EQ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:17 pm 

I messed w it myself. Cant seem to get it right lol. Sounds a bit better but some sounds get distorted or tinny. Ill send it to ya later today. That one long wav file ok? Or u want me to send it as audacity file?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:29 pm 

You can leave it as one long .wav or Flac file when your done. I can split it once you send it back

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:05 pm 

madstadik wrote:
I messed w it myself. Cant seem to get it right lol. Sounds a bit better but some sounds get distorted or tinny. Ill send it to ya later today. That one long wav file ok? Or u want me to send it as audacity file?

1 long .WAV file is fine.....I don't use Audacity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:23 pm 

Ok sounds good man. I appreciate you taking the time! Ill send a link shortly!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:44 pm 

sauks been needing to put out that father time demo.

i would pay decent cash for a CDQ version of "Stone Cold" and "Get On Down".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:57 pm 

Id pay a lot for the whole thing. Was supposed to drop on Genesis Entertainment in 1995. A sampler tape is listed on discogs. Someone needs to his Sauks up

https://www.discogs.com/Saukrates-Father-Time-Sampler/release/2770221

I wonder how FTD got a copy of the full tape

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:52 am 

Yeah, maybe if a bunch of us tweet him asking him to release the demo officially, it might put a bug in his ear. Might as well make some cash off those unreleased tracks....they're not even subpar.
Aight Stadik...I'll try and give it a crack this weekend and see if I can improve it.
Maybe one of those labels like Slice Of Spice who specialize in this kind of deal can contact him and make it happen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:01 am 

Agreed! Saukrates is on Twitter and Facebook

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:28 am 

madstadik wrote:
Code:
Freddie_Foxxx-Crazy_Like_a_Fox-1995-CMS (Still prefer this version over the reissue)
Trigger_Tha_Gambler-Lifes_A_50-50_Gamble-2001-CMS

I also have a .wav rip of the pudgee-king of new york album... was disappointed how back2daSource handled that one. I hooked em up w the whole tape and they pulled from different sources and fucked up the sequencing smh. Anyways this post is long enough... hit me up if you have them “mastering” skills

Don't have mastering skills but I'm wonderin' if u could upload Freddie_Foxxx (what's the difference between this and reissue?), Trigger_Tha_Gambler & pudgee albums? back2daSource really did fuck up that reissue... half of the tracks are lossy mastered.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:57 am 

Freddie’s album has more skits and 2 tracks not on the reissue. “Mr. Microphone” and “Raw Skill”. I gave B2DS a wav copy of the Pudgee album. I bought a wav rip from the guy who sold the tape on ebay. Ill most likely up the Pudgee once i get it mastered. Lotta hiss on that one. I dont wanna overwhelm Rich with a ton of remaster req but maybe he will do the rest at some point

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:39 pm 

Hows it going rich? You get a chance to mess with it?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:42 pm 

I've got the freddie foxxx tape, don't remember if I've ripped it..I'll put it on the to do list but probably not any time soon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:57 pm 

Whoa. You own that?! Please send me a wav/flac rip. At your convenience of course!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:56 am 

For sure. Not sure when though. Got it on discogs for a reasonable price

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:51 am 

madstadik wrote:
Hows it going rich? You get a chance to mess with it?

Whatup man....yeah I tried a few different things, but unfortunately nothing I tried works.
Usually with certain tape rips, I can improve the quality in a few areas.....

1) remove (or lower) tape hiss if there's a portion with just the hiss sound, which I can sample, and filter out of the main file
2) boost the bass
3) brighten up the mids and highs

With this rip, hiss isn't really a problem. The bass doesn't need to be boosted either....it's actually boosted too high on a lot of the tracks to the point of distortion. Distortion is actually a problem on a lot of the tracks, which can't be undone.
I did think that this demo needed some brightening in the top end, but when I boosted those frequencies, it started bringing out annoying hiss and hum sounds that I couldn't filter out. So I had to just leave it be. It's too bad....I'm a big Sauks fan, and was hoping I could salvage this stuff. I guess we can hope that he'll release the demo one day....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:25 am 

Yea man i totally agree. Thanks for taking a look. Maybe normy can rip that Freddie Foxxx tape to wav and u can clean that up

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:43 am 

madstadik wrote:
Yea man i totally agree. Thanks for taking a look. Maybe normy can rip that Freddie Foxxx tape to wav and u can clean that up

No prob...wish I coulda helped. Yo....did you get a chance to record your Ak Skills 12" yet?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:27 am 

Not yet. Sorry i have been swamped at work. Will make it a priority this weekend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:12 am 

Location: NoRTH CaCKaLaCK by way of tha O~DouBLe T, CaNaDa baby!!!
I`ve always wanted to hear this album in better quality, DaMn shame it`s never leaked in CD quality at the very least. Saukrates is a very talented producer/emcee & this album is very good, sound quality aside...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:00 am 

We gotta hit social media and nag this guy!