Saukrates-Father Time (Shelved Album)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

madstadik

Saukrates-Father Time (Shelved Album)

Post by madstadik »

Been revisiting this lately. I think its really dope and would love to see Soxx release this properly. Does anyone know if a proper promo tape of this even exists? We’ve all heard the shitty quality tape rip that the scene released years back but i was hoping something else existed. I know someone here cleaned up the mp3 only tape rip of the crustified dibbs tape and it sounded significantly better. Would anyone here be willing to clean up the saukrates album? I know it sucks to work with mp3 instead of having a pure .wav rip with all the transcoding. I have it saved as one long audacity file if anyone wants me to send it their way... a few mp3 tape only rips I wouldn’t mind someone taking a crack at are

Code: Select all

Freddie_Foxxx-Crazy_Like_a_Fox-1995-CMS (Still prefer this version over the reissue)
Trigger_Tha_Gambler-Lifes_A_50-50_Gamble-2001-CMS
Ras_Kass-Soul_On_Ice(Demo_Version)-1995-CMS
Saukrates-Father_Time-1997-FTD
I also have a .wav rip of the pudgee-king of new york album... was disappointed how back2daSource handled that one. I hooked em up w the whole tape and they pulled from different sources and fucked up the sequencing smh. Anyways this post is long enough... hit me up if you have them “mastering” skills

djfilthyrich

Re: Saukrates-Father Time (Shelved Album)

Post by djfilthyrich »

What's the tracklist of the Father Time tape? I might have some of the tracks in HQ

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

I appreciate the offer. I own the brickhouse ep and the underground tapes so i have some of the songs. I just dont wanna piece it together from multiple sources

Fritz

Post by Fritz »

There is a deluxe version from the the underground tapes, maybe that release has some missing tracks in good quality.
http://www.largehiphop.com/2017/07/sauk ... -2017.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

madstadik wrote:I appreciate the offer. I own the brickhouse ep and the underground tapes so i have some of the songs. I just dont wanna piece it together from multiple sources
Ok, send me the audio homie....I should be able to improve it for you. I can try some different filters, etc and try to fix the EQ

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

I messed w it myself. Cant seem to get it right lol. Sounds a bit better but some sounds get distorted or tinny. Ill send it to ya later today. That one long wav file ok? Or u want me to send it as audacity file?

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

You can leave it as one long .wav or Flac file when your done. I can split it once you send it back

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

madstadik wrote:I messed w it myself. Cant seem to get it right lol. Sounds a bit better but some sounds get distorted or tinny. Ill send it to ya later today. That one long wav file ok? Or u want me to send it as audacity file?
1 long .WAV file is fine.....I don't use Audacity

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Ok sounds good man. I appreciate you taking the time! Ill send a link shortly!

DredScott

Post by DredScott »

sauks been needing to put out that father time demo.

i would pay decent cash for a CDQ version of "Stone Cold" and "Get On Down".

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Id pay a lot for the whole thing. Was supposed to drop on Genesis Entertainment in 1995. A sampler tape is listed on discogs. Someone needs to his Sauks up

https://www.discogs.com/Saukrates-Fathe ... se/2770221

I wonder how FTD got a copy of the full tape

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

Yeah, maybe if a bunch of us tweet him asking him to release the demo officially, it might put a bug in his ear. Might as well make some cash off those unreleased tracks....they're not even subpar.
Aight Stadik...I'll try and give it a crack this weekend and see if I can improve it.
Maybe one of those labels like Slice Of Spice who specialize in this kind of deal can contact him and make it happen

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Agreed! Saukrates is on Twitter and Facebook

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

madstadik wrote:

Code: Select all

Freddie_Foxxx-Crazy_Like_a_Fox-1995-CMS (Still prefer this version over the reissue)
Trigger_Tha_Gambler-Lifes_A_50-50_Gamble-2001-CMS
I also have a .wav rip of the pudgee-king of new york album... was disappointed how back2daSource handled that one. I hooked em up w the whole tape and they pulled from different sources and fucked up the sequencing smh. Anyways this post is long enough... hit me up if you have them “mastering” skills
Don't have mastering skills but I'm wonderin' if u could upload Freddie_Foxxx (what's the difference between this and reissue?), Trigger_Tha_Gambler & pudgee albums? back2daSource really did fuck up that reissue... half of the tracks are lossy mastered.

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Freddie’s album has more skits and 2 tracks not on the reissue. “Mr. Microphone” and “Raw Skill”. I gave B2DS a wav copy of the Pudgee album. I bought a wav rip from the guy who sold the tape on ebay. Ill most likely up the Pudgee once i get it mastered. Lotta hiss on that one. I dont wanna overwhelm Rich with a ton of remaster req but maybe he will do the rest at some point

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Hows it going rich? You get a chance to mess with it?

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

I've got the freddie foxxx tape, don't remember if I've ripped it..I'll put it on the to do list but probably not any time soon

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Whoa. You own that?! Please send me a wav/flac rip. At your convenience of course!

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

For sure. Not sure when though. Got it on discogs for a reasonable price

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

madstadik wrote:Hows it going rich? You get a chance to mess with it?
Whatup man....yeah I tried a few different things, but unfortunately nothing I tried works.
Usually with certain tape rips, I can improve the quality in a few areas.....

1) remove (or lower) tape hiss if there's a portion with just the hiss sound, which I can sample, and filter out of the main file
2) boost the bass
3) brighten up the mids and highs

With this rip, hiss isn't really a problem. The bass doesn't need to be boosted either....it's actually boosted too high on a lot of the tracks to the point of distortion. Distortion is actually a problem on a lot of the tracks, which can't be undone.
I did think that this demo needed some brightening in the top end, but when I boosted those frequencies, it started bringing out annoying hiss and hum sounds that I couldn't filter out. So I had to just leave it be. It's too bad....I'm a big Sauks fan, and was hoping I could salvage this stuff. I guess we can hope that he'll release the demo one day....

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Yea man i totally agree. Thanks for taking a look. Maybe normy can rip that Freddie Foxxx tape to wav and u can clean that up

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

madstadik wrote:Yea man i totally agree. Thanks for taking a look. Maybe normy can rip that Freddie Foxxx tape to wav and u can clean that up
No prob...wish I coulda helped. Yo....did you get a chance to record your Ak Skills 12" yet?

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Not yet. Sorry i have been swamped at work. Will make it a priority this weekend

HeRBaN LyRiX
Location: NoRTH CaCKaLaCK by way of tha O~DouBLe T, CaNaDa baby!!!

Post by HeRBaN LyRiX »

I`ve always wanted to hear this album in better quality, DaMn shame it`s never leaked in CD quality at the very least. Saukrates is a very talented producer/emcee & this album is very good, sound quality aside...

herban-lyrix.blogspot.ca

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

We gotta hit social media and nag this guy!

MV

Post by MV »

madstadik wrote: I also have a .wav rip of the pudgee-king of new york album... was disappointed how back2daSource handled that one. I hooked em up w the whole tape and they pulled from different sources and fucked up the sequencing smh. Anyways this post is long enough... hit me up if you have them “mastering” skills
I find the mastering pretty decent on this release, although some tracks seems to be flat like "Talk behind your back".
I tried to expand a little bit the sound stage but I still have the noise to reduce and have to add a limiter :

https://instaud.io/1Dxs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VS https://instaud.io/1Dxw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;