Craig Mack: A Mixtape Tribute (ft UNRELEASED track from 94)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

djfilthyrich

Craig Mack: A Mixtape Tribute (ft UNRELEASED track from 94)

Post by djfilthyrich »

DJ Filthy Rich Presents: A Mixtape Tribute to Craig Mack

Waking up on March 13th, I was saddened by the news of Craig Mack’s passing the night before. He created some of hip hop’s most loved songs, and with his megahit ‘Flava In Ya Ear’, provided the spark that propelled Bad Boy Records to fame. The idea of recording a ‘Best Of’ tribute mixtape crossed my mind, but my immediate thought was “there’s not enough material”. As I usually do after a beloved musician dies, I spent some time going through his discography /videos/live performances. I find it sort of cathartic. As I dropped the needle on a bunch of white label & independent 12”s, I realized how many dope tracks I had forgotten about over the years. The mixtape idea began running through my head again, but it was after watching his interviews that I 100% knew I had to make this. His responses to questions highlighted his character and heart, which was further corroborated by the accounts of his friends and industry peers on IG & Twitter. Looking past the typical braggadocio on his songs, he came across as pretty humble in real life. The irony that such a good guy was signed to a label called Bad Boy made me chuckle. He felt strongly about sticking to his principles, and conducted his business on his terms. One listen to his off-kilter flow and you could tell that this guy marched to the beat of his own drum. Mack was an unsung hero, and I’m a sucker for a good underdog story. So here I present to you my tribute to Craig…

I wanted to give people a mix that not only highlighted his hits, but also featured his deep cuts, remixes, freestyles, guest appearances and unreleased gems. I’ve also created some custom blends & sprinkled in some interview soundbites to give the mix a unique twist. Some of the features I chose simply because I liked the sound of the artist on the beat (e.g. Lord Finesse on ‘Jockin My Style’), others were to match themes (e.g. Canibus & Roxanne Shante on ‘Get Retarded’ & Kanye West on ‘When God Comes’), but the majority were created with a purpose. According to Erick Sermon, Craig was originally supposed to be a member of the Hit Squad before the legendary collective split. So I took a “What If…” approach, and created a few collaborations with Hit Squad members that I would’ve liked to hear back in the day. Craig’s raw, abstract style would’ve fit perfectly alongside Redman and Keith Murray.

Perhaps the most exciting thing about this mix is the unearthing of “Press Rewind”, a (mostly) unheard song from 1994 that was graciously shared by DJ Mastermind. For those who are unfamiliar, Mastermind is a Canadian hip hop radio & mixtape pioneer, and was to Toronto airwaves what Funk Flex was to NYC (thankfully though, there are no bomb drops every 20 seconds on the track).
Mastermind recounts the story behind the track on his IG:
“I asked [Craig] for a ‘Flava In Ya Ear’ dubplate and he was like no problem, we went to Play De Records basement studio (yes they had a studio in the basement) and he cut something for me. He made a ‘new’ song just for me, I wanted Flava In Ya Ear But how do you say ‘No I’m good’ when Craig Mack, the guy with the hottest song out sits down to make a new beat and cut you an exclusive song just for you?! You don’t...you just smile and nod.”

The result is a dope track with lyrics that will be new to everybody, unless you lived in Toronto & listened to his mixshow in ‘94.
The mixtape is split into two portions, the ‘Funkalicious’ and ‘Mackalicious’ sections, which comprise Craig’s Hip Hop songs and R&B features respectively. Even the most well-versed Craig Mack fan will find something new on this mix, so press play and go on a journey with the Mackaliciousphatfunkflav.

Thanks to the Philaflava members who helped with some tracks that I was missing: J Preme, Step One, Breeze & BBL.

Special Thanks to DJ Mastermind for the exclusive, and to Craig C. The Artist for the cover art sketch.

LISTEN HERE:
https://www.mixcloud.com/djfilthyrich1/ ... ed-tracks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TRACKLIST

FUNKALICIOUS SECTION
Filthy Rich Intro (ft Jay Lamont on beatbox)
Flava In Ya Ear RMX (ft Biggie, Rampage, LL Cool J, Busta Rhymes) [Filthy Rich Easy Mo ReFix]
Mainline (ft Redman) [Filthy Rich blend]
Get Down (Orig + RMX ft Q-Tip)
Makin Moves With Puff
MuchMusic Rap City freestyle
Special Delivery (ft Ghostface Killah) [Filthy Rich blend]
NYC Let's Go (ft Nas & Rakim) [Filthy Rich blend]
Straight In Ya Mouf
Judgement Day
Jockin My Style (ft Erick Sermon, Lord Finesse) [Filthy Rich's "Jockin For Beats" blend]
The Most Beautifullest Thing RMX (w Keith Murray) [Filthy Rich blend]
Brand New Nigga [Filthy Rich blend]
Tony Touch freestyle
Press Rewind (Mastermind EXCLUSIVE)
Mack Come Thru
What I Need [Official RMX + Filthy Rich blend]
On Da Run
You Don't Have To Worry (Verse)
Flava In Ya Ear [Filthy Rich blend]
What I Need (original version) [Filthy Rich blend]
Today's Forecast
When God Comes (ft Kanye West) [Doo Wop RMX + Orig + Filthy Rich blend]
Get Retarded (ft Canibus, Roxanne Shante) [Filthy Rich's "Retarded-er" blend]
Do You Have What It Takes? [Filthy Rich's "Street Fighter 2" ReFix]
Real Raw
Craig Mack & Biggie - Let Me Get Down (Original unreleased version)
MACKALICIOUS SECTION
Please Listen To My Demo
Heard It All Before
No One But You RMX (w/ Veronica)
Kick Your Game RMX (w/ TLC)
Vibin RMX (w/ Busta Rhymes, Method Man, Boyz II Men)
It's Alright (w/ Sista)
Spirit (w/ Sounds Of Blackness)
Wooden Horse (w/ Frank Sinatra)
If You Love Me RMX (w/ Brownstone)
Coronation Of A King
Tonight's The Night (w/ Blackstreet & SWV)
BONUS TRACKS
Flava In Ya Ear (ft EPMD, Keith Murray, Redman, Das Efx)[Filthy Rich's Hit Squad Mix]
Craig Mack & Biggie 1995 Westwood freestyle

For more mixes & blends:
https://twitter.com/djfilthyrich416" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.instagram.com/djfilthyrich/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/DJ-Filthy-Rich ... 909601122/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://soundcloud.com/user-160574689" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by djfilthyrich on Thu May 10, 2018 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

HeRBaN LyRiX
Location: NoRTH CaCKaLaCK by way of tha O~DouBLe T, CaNaDa baby!!!

Re: Craig Mack: A Mixtape Tribute by DJ Filthy Rich

Post by HeRBaN LyRiX »

:cheers:

Always been a fan of this kat, DaMn shame we lost him so early! Once I give this a solid listen I`ll be back with my 2 sense/cents...

herban-lyrix.blogspot.ca

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

HeRBaN LyRiX wrote::cheers:

Always been a fan of this kat, DaMn shame we lost him so early! Once I give this a solid listen I`ll be back with my 2 sense/cents...

I always liked Craig's music, but it wasn't until I made this mix that I realized just how dope he was. He just needed some better guidance with his career. Erick Sermon said that he was supposed to join the Hit Squad.....that would've been a good lane for him IMO.

dirt_dog

Post by dirt_dog »

can you hit us with a d/l link?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

dirt_dog wrote:can you hit us with a d/l link?
word! this looks dope.

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

Philaflava wrote:
word! this looks dope.
I'm trying to direct all traffic to Mixcloud, so I haven't released a DL link yet.
Going to PM both of you right now

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

Got the co-sign from Erick Sermon, Easy Mo Bee, and Jamal (so far) :bow:

STAM

Re: Craig Mack: A Mixtape Tribute (ft UNRELEASED track from

Post by STAM »

One love kid, you did a great job (again) i really enjoy to your mixes and im not alone wit that. Keep goin!

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

STAM wrote:One love kid, you did a great job (again) i really enjoy to your mixes and im not alone wit that. Keep goin!
Thanks for taking the time to leave some feedback Stam....glad you're feelin it :cheers:

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

Here's one of the blends from the project:

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

sounds dope! especially your blends are on point!