Miami Bass Tribute

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Miami Bass Tribute

Post by Philaflava »

https://soundcloud.com/user-997269105/t ... ss-tribute" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Miami Bass movement was extremely prominent in the 80s and 90s, thanks to legendary artists like 2 Live Crew, MC Shy D, Planet Patrol, Gucci Crew, Anquette, Poison Clan and Clay D. The DJ’s also played a significant role in the movement as well, like Mr. Mixx, DJ Magic Mike, DJ Laz, Uncle Al, Jam Pony Express, Felix Sama, Power Supply and Jealous J (Jim Jonsin). While most people think Uncle Luke when talking about Miami Bass, the scene was so thick as Andre would say. Before you had Pitbull, Flo Rida, Kodak Black, Rick Ross, Ace Hood, DJ Khaled, Stitches, Lil Pump or XXXTENTACION, you had this great music featured on our 1 hour and 23 minute mix. We know our core audience is prominently east coast (bias) and we all know where hip-hop started. If you’re a fan of Take It Personal, you’ll know we cover everything and take pride in showcasing music from all over. But it’s important to listen, understand and appreciate what other regions like the South have to offer. We don’t expect you to love everything we play, but everything played on this tribute was played for a reason. This is an extensive timeline of Miami Bass themed music and while the Miami sound evolved and featured less bass as the years went on, all these tracks capture an important time in music, especially in the MIA. This is our Miami Bass Tribute. We hope you all enjoy it!

dochiphop

Re: Miami Bass Tribute

Post by dochiphop »

Man you are so right about the Miami Bass scene back in that era. A lot of that music was good and there were a lot of talented artists that usually get overlooked when talking about Hip Hop history. Looking forward to hearing this mix.

Thanks

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Absolutely. Love to hear what you think once you listen too.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

I look forward to revisiting this sub-genre, Phila Flava-style. The most I remember is Luke's Doo-Doo Brown video that had teen boys going ape-shit in my junior high school class. Also a guy named Half Pint who had a song called One Leg Up. '

It was hard listening to Miami Bass as a New Yorker, but a trip to Miami in the summer of '93 opened me up a bit more to it. I went to a club and then down to South Beach where I saw Redman perform during a tour for his first album.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Trust me, I hated this shit too. Like you, I came to Florida and the rest is history. I hope you dig it!

Fritz

Post by Fritz »

I'll try to find the source special on Miami Bass from 1994 (maybe I got it digital somewhere), they caught a lot of heat because of that special, some reader even returned the issue with vomit to Source HQ. Besides that I will peep the mix of course, always nice to hear some unknown music from the 90's

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

Interesting...Will check this out Jay

Fritz

Post by Fritz »

Here is is the Source Miami bass special (march 1994): https://www54.zippyshare.com/v/fzCIMYba/file.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;