Golden Era Trivia

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Kelly Kel

Post by Kelly Kel »

@ Yak

Nah I live in Wexford but I gig in Dublin quite a bit and a lot of my friends live there

"i'd leave chante moore's p*ssy in stiches
I'd f*ck rupaul before I f*ck them ugly ass xscape b*tches" - Biggie

www.16bars.com/robkelly

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Before joining The Roots, Rahzel was in a crew called the Vibe Khameleons, which I'm pretty sure included Sha-Key, J-Live, Ill Bill, and Priest from Anti-Pop.
No....that info is wrong...it was just Sha Key and some unknowns...

Raphael De La Ghetto

Post by Raphael De La Ghetto »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:
MASTER416 wrote:I don't think Serch rapped with Sabac and Ill Bill, I thought he only managed them, and then things fells apart. It says it on that Green CD or whatever that shit was called.
He did. He's on a few of the early 12s.

Dante Ross has the Black Bastards masters.
Really? I haven't heard those tracks, are they worth checking out?

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

MASTER416 wrote:
Y@k Bollocks wrote:
MASTER416 wrote:I don't think Serch rapped with Sabac and Ill Bill, I thought he only managed them, and then things fells apart. It says it on that Green CD or whatever that shit was called.

Yeah, some of their best stuff. Heres 2 that he's on - 5 Boros and 2002. There are others - i can't remember offhand...

http://s15.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0C44 ... F09E547F84

skurdur

Post by skurdur »

Jaz wrote:
Before joining The Roots, Rahzel was in a crew called the Vibe Khameleons, which I'm pretty sure included Sha-Key, J-Live, Ill Bill, and Priest from Anti-Pop.
yeah, weren't Vibe Khameleons a live band like the Roots or something?

cuntface

Post by cuntface »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote: After Public Enemy's sample trouble in the 80's and Chuck's blatant defense of the art of sampling on It Takes a Nation of Millions... Chuck D sued the estate of Notorious BIG for sampling his voice (even though Primo sampled it) on "Ten Crack Commandments," at the time I remember many people claiming that Chuck had completely lost it. He soon left Def Jam for the independent scene - dissing Lyor Cohen among others with the blantantly anti-semetically titled song "Swindler's Lust."
he sued cos he didn't want his voice on a song promoting crack.
it don't make him the hypocrite that you're implying.
plus i'm pretty sure that he only sued the label and nobody else
Kelly Kel wrote: Keith Murray once got locked in jail in london a false rape charge. On the night of the show he played for 20 mins had a dispute with the promoter and then jumped feet first into crowd
my cousin was at that show.
supposedly when keith jumped in the crowd he got peeled for his watch and the show fee which he had in cash in his pocket
Kelly Kel wrote:Masta Ace and Fat Joe had beef in the mid 90's

Fat Joe accussed Masta Ace in some magazine of "selling out" ("what's love" anyone...?) to the west coast with The INC sh*t he was rocking - the born to roll remix etc - Ace ripped him on a dis track called "top ten" i used to have it on a tape and it was sick wish i still had it

Basically Ace breaks down the top ten reasons Fat Joe is wack on the song and it was ill had an ill KRS sample in the chorus
"at eight you're a sucker, seven a motherfucker"

the way i heard it it was due to joe dissing ace's legitimacy as a graffer.
ace said only one line was about joe "and real gangsters dont talk shit in magazines"
remember joe used to be called fat joe da gangster

Kelly Kel wrote:Sun also recorded a dis track of 2pac around the time of "hit em up" It wasn't very good I think doo wap did the beat but I cant remember
yippie kie, yippie kie, yippie kie ey, a real cali-phoney motherfucker i say
Jaz wrote:
it was a different j-live, a lot of people got them twisted.
i do think high priest was in the group though

Kelly Kel

Post by Kelly Kel »

Fat Joe accussed Masta Ace in some magazine of "selling out" ("what's love" anyone...?) to the west coast with The INC sh*t he was rocking - the born to roll remix etc - Ace ripped him on a dis track called "top ten" i used to have it on a tape and it was sick wish i still had it

Basically Ace breaks down the top ten reasons Fat Joe is wack on the song and it was ill had an ill KRS sample in the chorus
"at eight you're a sucker, seven a motherfucker"

the way i heard it it was due to joe dissing ace's legitimacy as a graffer.
ace said only one line was about joe "and real gangsters dont talk shit in magazines"
remember joe used to be called fat joe da gangster

Yeah But I was pretty sure the entire track was aimed at Joe - and joe's remarks in the magazine had been made about The Graf writing but also the alleged west coast d*ck riding

Kelly Kel wrote:Sun also recorded a dis track of 2pac around the time of "hit em up" It wasn't very good I think doo wap did the beat but I cant remember

yippie kie, yippie kie, yippie kie ey, a real cali-phoney motherfucker i say

thats the one "lets look at all the things that you did had a shoot out in new york, raped a b*tch did a bid" ...

Yeah the Chuck D thing is correct too he sued a malt liquor company in the early 90's for sampling his voice - his reason for suing not because he was against sampling but he did not advocate the use of hip hop to sell malt liquor to the black community so it makes sense that he would sue bad boy over that song - and the way he broke it down was that everyone thought he was suing primo - but it was bad boy - that was in turn owed by arista and clive davis wasnt gonna be out of pocket etc etc

here is one more - Biggie and Puff allegedly "stole" the Idea to sample Mtume's "Juicy Fruit" for the single Juicy - Puff had took Biggie to see pete rock and have him rhyme and the same time Pete Rock was working on a beat, the beat had that sample of Juicy Fruit in it. Pete Rock heard no more until it showed up as the first single, inscensed that he was being bitten he called puff and accused him, puff let him have the remix

the song "come on motherf*ckers" has a version with Lord Finesse, Biggie and Sadat X it contains that "7 mack elevens" verse- the reason this didnt come to light at the beginning is that Puff had mistakenly sent TWO cheques to Sadat who kept them both and wouldnt return the fee - puff in turn would not release the song

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

^ I have the original Lord Finesse produced version of "come on" somewhere at home.

It's good but not that good.

Raphael De La Ghetto

Post by Raphael De La Ghetto »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:
MASTER416 wrote:
Y@k Bollocks wrote:

Yeah, some of their best stuff. Heres 2 that he's on - 5 Boros and 2002. There are others - i can't remember offhand...

Thanks a lot for upping those tracks, I'm listening to them right now.

Wexford

Post by Wexford »

Kelly Kel wrote:Nah I live in Wexford
:arrow:

slow down homie...

ha... but it's (obviously) one of my fav locales in the world... soon as i get multi i'll have a place there.

Menace To Sobriety

Post by Menace To Sobriety »

For the UK heads

Mista Jam played Minty the Chef in the new Crossroads

he had also a brief appearance in Eastenders
playing a bingo caller

Anne Charleston ~ the actress who played Madge Bishop in Neighbours

her son was a member in the Australian rap group Def Wish Cast
who sounded very much like an Australian Gunshot or Demon Boyz
on the tongue flippin' ragga tip

I also heard somewhere that the guy who plays
Steve macdonald drops a freestyle on some UK Hip Hop DJ's mixtape
and doesn't come off too bad

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

cuntface wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote: After Public Enemy's sample trouble in the 80's and Chuck's blatant defense of the art of sampling on It Takes a Nation of Millions... Chuck D sued the estate of Notorious BIG for sampling his voice (even though Primo sampled it) on "Ten Crack Commandments," at the time I remember many people claiming that Chuck had completely lost it. He soon left Def Jam for the independent scene - dissing Lyor Cohen among others with the blantantly anti-semetically titled song "Swindler's Lust."
he sued cos he didn't want his voice on a song promoting crack.
it don't make him the hypocrite that you're implying.
plus i'm pretty sure that he only sued the label and nobody else
DJ Premier was the main one, quoted in the Source at the time, who was pissed at Chuck over this. Chuck did sue because of the song's content, but Big had passed just recently, and it still incensed the hip hop community that Chuck would split hairs like that. Suggesting that you can only sample somebody if they like the product is one of the things that PE and others were fighting against in the day. Because a lot of the old soul artists producers were sampling did not like hip hop at all musically, nevermind the subject matter. The song was also obviously slightly tough-n-cheek (nh) in nature, and the case did end up causing Big's family some hassle (despite what Chuck said at the time), because Bad Boy took the court fees, etc out of the earnings from the album (much of which would go to Big's family), whether that is Bad Boy or Chuck D's problem is a matter of debate.

PEACE

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote: Hobo Junction and Hieroglyphics had crazy beef in the mid-nineties. Mainly because Hiero felt that Saafir was biting their flows. As a consequence Saafir and Casual battled on the wake up show, and Saafir murdered him. Hieroglyphics lyrics were filled with salty references toward biters and biting ass crews for years prior to and subsequently to the Casual/Saafir battle.
i have the mp3 of this
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

what about the rumor that several major labels offered rakim deals, he would go into the offices, talk to them, ask for and receive random amounts of cash/money, get whatever upfront dough they gave, and then completely vanish out of their sight and never return calls - that shit is gangsta and funny
Nets 2022

Kid B

Post by Kid B »

^ ^ You can't get an advance without signing a contract.

LL Cool J was consistently herbed as a youngster.

The Beastie Boys originally titled their debut album, "Don't Be A Faggot" until Rick Rubin and Russell Simmons had a conference with them in a NYU dorm room.

Jeru The Damaja sold hot women's apparel out of the back of his Honda hatchback to make ends before he got signed.

Notorious B.I.G. after blowing up and sitting in a parked limo, spotted Shinehead walking down an uptown street, rolled down his window and gave humble praise to him.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Kid B wrote:The Beastie Boys originally titled their debut album, "Don't Be A Faggot" until Rick Rubin and Russell Simmons had a conference with them in a NYU dorm room.
I knew that and so did several others on HHI, but Seagraves never seemed to believe it. It was even mentioned in Ego Trip's Book of Rap Lists.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Dango727 wrote:
Kid B wrote:The Beastie Boys originally titled their debut album, "Don't Be A Faggot" until Rick Rubin and Russell Simmons had a conference with them in a NYU dorm room.
I knew that and so did several others on HHI, but Seagraves never seemed to believe it. It was even mentioned in Ego Trip's Book of Rap Lists.
haha - we should do a seagraves trivia thread

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Jaz wrote:
Before joining The Roots, Rahzel was in a crew called the Vibe Khameleons
Nevermind made me a mixtape many moons back and one of the cuts was from the Vibe Khameleonz. Rahzel was on that cut. Incidentally, that was the weakest song on the tape.

phonebill side:

Supafriends-Off to See the Wizard / So Fresh
Supernatural- Budda Blessed It / Mind Tricks / Flashbacks
Ghostface and RZA-Who's da Champ
Sha-Key-Vibe Khameleonz
Busta and Q-Tip-Wild Hot
Ras, Heltah & Canibus-Uni-4-orm
Walks at Large-When I Flow

car payment side:

KRS-High School High / Bring it Back / Move Ahead / No Gimmicks / Brainstorm
BCC-Down by Law / Heads are Redee Pt. II
Roots-Proceed II / the Good, the Bad and the Desolate
Prince Paul-Psycho Linguistic
Goodie Mob-Blood

damn good mix tape, one of the few tapes i still have

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

reason is yellow wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote: Hobo Junction and Hieroglyphics had crazy beef in the mid-nineties. Mainly because Hiero felt that Saafir was biting their flows. As a consequence Saafir and Casual battled on the wake up show, and Saafir murdered him. Hieroglyphics lyrics were filled with salty references toward biters and biting ass crews for years prior to and subsequently to the Casual/Saafir battle.
i have the mp3 of this
Murdered them, yes. Came with writtens, yes.

He admitted that shit numerous times. That battle is way too mythologized (except for Tajai sounding like a total jackass the whole time).

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:-Busta has a male lover somewhere in Europe.
it's true

B. Ware tha Siniq

PopeyeJones wrote:
reason is yellow wrote:
i have the mp3 of this
Murdered them, yes. Came with writtens, yes.

He admitted that shit numerous times. That battle is way too mythologized (except for Tajai sounding like a total jackass the whole time).
true he came with writtens... and yes the battle is way too mythologized (wake up show hype)... The funniest thing to me is that Casual knew Saafir was going to come with writtens (because Saafir told him) and he still decided to spit his wack ass freestyles... most people come with written shit on radio battles at least if they're pre-organized or if they have beef.

Here's casual's take on the "beef":

Casual: "When that beef started, it was between Casual and Safir, and it really started because I didn't want to be on his album. (This is the first time I told anyone this.) Truth is, I asked Saafir to be on my album because he was my boy at the time. But in the short time we kicked it, I seen he was a fake ass nigga. I mean, I met Saafir, through A+. I needed some weed one day, and Plee was like, "my nigga got bomb." I was like, "Who," Plee was like, "this nigga Saafir, he be trying to rap and shit." I'm like, "cool." Saafir was a "street nigga" so when we met we was cool like that from the gate. I mean, I was blowing my money on weed and he had fat sacks, so we started to see each other often. We started to kick too. That nigga had a clean ass white 72 malibu, I had a 80 Z28 Camaro. And we was on some "nigga your shit ain't as tight as mine!" shit. Chillin though, now here comes the bullshit. First out, it took me a minute to notice how much this nigga was bashing 2 Pac (Pac was alive then). I would have been like, "yeah whatever" but this nigga and Tupac was really boys. He would tell me stories about how Tupac punked out and he had to whoop some niggas for him, hella shit like that. But I'm sitting there like, "damn I thought this nigga was Pac dogg?" Anyway his boastfullness and his betrayal qualities were starting to surface, I was like "I ain't fuckin' with dude know more"(subconsciencly). This is about the time he asked me to be on his album, I tell no lie, when he called, I was layed up. He asked me to come to the studio at bout 8. I was like "alright," but I really was thinkin', "damn, I don't wanna go." I called that dude back at about 7:45 and threw some drama about how I couldn't make it and he should work on something else. He was like whatever. A few days later I got a call from Sasfir, I was at Domino's house playing video games. I answered the phone, "Hello"? he was like, "Blood you wrong fa fakin' on me." I was like "what?! (still talking calmly), he said, "You made me lose money the other night." My sense went off instantly. Before I replied I was thinking "damn, he trying to play me, i fucked up," and to keep it real, i replied (verbatim) "Dude you putting too much on it." This is when the calm broke. "Too much on it!!!!!!!!! Nigga what!!! How am I putting too much on it? etc. blah blah nigga blah nigga!!!!!!!!" Next think I know, I got beef with these niggas.

Now every time I seen them niggas in the street, I was with some nigga that they probably didn't expect me to know. To keep it real, this shit was big, it was all in the streets, every body I knew was talking about this beef I had with Ssafir. Niggas started really fonkin'. The cold part is, them niggas was from Fresno, I was born and raised in Oakland. Don't get it twisted, Fresno is gangsta,
but when you start some beef with a well known artist, in the streets of his home city, its gonna be problems. What everyone didn't know is, me and Saafir would speak on occasions. If I seen that nigga in the club, I would always address him first, like "Whats up Saafir?" He would be like,"sup nigga" and we would go on about our business, no prob. But when other members of our crews seen each other there would be confrontations. It was all typa shit. (Buy the Book when it come out!)

Saafir came to my house in North Oakland a few days before the battle, bout 8:30.pm. I looked through the peep hole and said, "Hell haw!!!!!!" I went and grabbed that little 380 he was rappin bout, and tucked it in the pocket of my Hiero hoodie. I opend the doe', this nigga was like "blood i need to holla at you," i was like, "alright." We went outside, I'm thinking its about to get grimey. I see this nigga got his homie sitting in the car bout 15 feet away, I got my hand in my pocket, heart just pounding, then this nigga gonna start talking about his rap strategy!!!! "I'm gonna kick some written shit Cas, how you comin'?" This was the weirdest Hip Hop beef moment. I was like "What!! I'm coming freestyle dogg."

The night of the imfamous Wake Up Show Battle, dudes heard that and was coming out the woodworks!!! I tell know lie, when we entered the studio room before the battle it was Hiero and Hobo. After that two hour broadcast we exited the studio and it was all typa niggas, nigga from the block, niggas I was raised with, dudes I hadn't seen since the second fuckin' grade was like, " you alright my nigga?" Seagram(R.I.P), a local rapper at the time, was in the lobby of KMEL Punking them niggas!!! Dudes road all the way from Vallejo to San Fran to hold me down. It was big. The only thing that was in the back of my head was, them horrible freestyles I was kicking. I was so dissapointed in Kmel, Tech, Sway, Saafir, and mostly, myself. I don't know why, but I felt exploited. It really was the single biggest event in Wake Up Show history. And I didn't see how me or Saafir would benifit. After I was like, "Thats it?!! Did the beef end with the broadcast? Damn was this shit staged? Written ass raps? Hell naw!"

PEACE

SacmenFeg

Post by SacmenFeg »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:Yeah, some of their best stuff. Heres 2 that he's on - 5 Boros and 2002. There are others - i can't remember offhand...

By "2002" you mean "Four W's."

Diggedy

Post by Diggedy »

Santa's down with hip hop.

http://s16.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=C3B4 ... 50D97390DB

frank b

Post by frank b »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
Dango727 wrote:
haha - we should do a seagraves trivia thread
Actually, what Jay refused to believe was that Don't Be A Faggot was the intended title of the Beasties' first album. He always insisted that tracks from the Rock Hard EP, which he knew from a bootleg that also included b-sides and instrumentals from Paul's Boutique, were from a lost 2nd Def Jam album. I explained this mistake to him more than once, but he refused to admit that he was wrong.
"My girl does shit like compare and contrast Kant, Foucault, Marx, Darwin and Socrates to Asian philosophers and Middle Eastern writers and poets I have never fucking heard of" - Mindbender Futurama

frank b

Post by frank b »

Galvatron78 wrote:- LL Cool J's Dj Cut Creator was not the one doing the cuts on the album it was actually DJ Battlecat
Dude's name was DJ Bobcat, I'm 99% certain. I think DJ Battlecat is someone else. Unless they're the same person after all.
"My girl does shit like compare and contrast Kant, Foucault, Marx, Darwin and Socrates to Asian philosophers and Middle Eastern writers and poets I have never fucking heard of" - Mindbender Futurama

oracle21

Post by oracle21 »

serch was on non phixion's legacy as well

Naught

Post by Naught »

Kelly Kel wrote:Jim Jones allegedly splapped Jay-Z after diplomats were excluded from last year's "farewell" tour
Was Jay wearing a kufi?

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:Eric B. didn't even do the cuts on the Eric B. & Rakim albums... Rakim did all the cuts on Paid in Full, after that they got a real ghost DJ (I don't know who)... beats (as we all know) were done by Marley Marl, Paul C, Large Professor, & Rakim himself. And Eric B. provided financial backing to the projects. Incidentally he never claimed to soley produce the Eric B. & Rakim tracks (although he did claim to produce some on "Wanted Dead or Alive), the albums listed all songs written by Eric B. & Rakim and all songs produced by Eric B. & Rakim.

Johnny Juice (at least according to him) didn't do all the cuts on the PE albums, he did however do all the cuts on all the songs that include Terminator X in the title (eg "Terminator X to the Edge of Panic") and most of the cuts on the first couple albums, mainly because he could executed the songs in fewer takes than Terminator X and they were strapped for studio money. Terminator X did do a lot of the simpler tracks, and Juice claims you can hear the difference in styles when X does the cuts versus his own style. Johnny Juice also co-produced many of the early PE tracks, but never got any credit (this was all Hank Shocklee's doing, not Chuck or Flav who Juice was both cool with).

DOC & RBX wrote the Chronic & Doggystyle... Kurupt did write his own lyrics

Hank Shocklee never produced or even helped produce a track in any musical sense. He was a P. Diddy style producer with an ear for what he wanted and various ideas, but no musical or programming abilities.
:sad: My rap heroes were frauds. I honestly thought Snoop, Eric B and Terminator X did their stuff back in the day. but the most shocking is Hank Shocklee who the hell DID those beats then? Vietnam Saddler and Johnny Juice?
Y@k Bollocks wrote:
MASTER416 wrote:
there was major beef over this at a board he posts at. Apparently Grimm and them are really salty over some stuff he said.

oracle21

Post by oracle21 »

even with all that i feel saafir bested casual.

skurdur

Post by skurdur »

Naught wrote:
Kelly Kel wrote:Jim Jones allegedly splapped Jay-Z after diplomats were excluded from last year's "farewell" tour
Was Jay wearing a kufi?
:lol: