revisiting "Death Certificate" every couple months

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Dunnnnleavy

revisiting "Death Certificate" every couple months

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

this album is absolutely perfect for pulling out every couple months or once a month and listening all the way through and remarveling at one of the most amazing peices of music in the genre.

every song is a concept within one major concept...aboslutely amazing...just amazing.

nothing will ever overtake "36 Chambers" for me, but "DC" comes pretty damn close every damn time i listen to it.

i've analyzed this album before on either HHI or Philaflava...just wanted to make yet another appreciation post for the quitessential hiphop story/concept album.

and I still believe if Cube would've died just prior to "The Predator" being released (ala "Life After Death") he would be regarded as the GOAT. and don't worry, "Friday" would survive...everyone knows Chris Tucker made the movie.

oracle21

Post by oracle21 »

yeah a great album back when cube was seriously a heavyweight rap icon. his charisma and anger could be heard on every joint. strongly apprecaited

Bring Back The Tempo

Post by Bring Back The Tempo »

although this is a very chaotic/energetic sounding album, i'd listen to son of bazerk and pe more.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Appreciated
i see what yer sayin'
and i agree
but i personally prefer "amerikkkas most wanted".

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

My young mind wasn't ready for this album when it came out. I bought it, listened to it maybe a dozen times and thought it was dope, but I think subconsciously I was just put off by what Cube was saying some of the time. I kind of put it to the side for a while and lumped it all in with the post-Kill at Will falling-off phase that Cube was a victim (or cause, depending on how you prefer to look at it) of. I checked it again about a year or so ago and I was blown away. This album stands up to Amerikkka's Most Wanted very well, and in some ways (not musically) it is better. I still like Amerikkka's Most more--in fact, it's my favorite rap album--but Death Certificate is so necessary for the horny li'l devils and cave bitches of the world.

mud

Post by mud »

death certificate>the predator>amerikkka's most wanted

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

death certificate>the predator>amerikkka's most wanted

word

TheEnglishProfessorGuy
Extortionist

Post by TheEnglishProfessorGuy »

listened yesterday...as you can see, one of cubes quotes is now in my sig. Fits me perfectly.

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

It's angry, black, intelligent, risky, and uncompromising.

Certified fucking classic.

anonjondoe

Post by anonjondoe »

one of my alltime favorite albums

does anybody know when and how this ice cube died?

everytime i here the words fell off
he is my first thought

then i think of him dissing hammer in his video
for selling out
the irony kills me

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

because he wanted to turn Hollywood and do movies. can you imagine a high profile Hollywood actor still making albums like "Death Certificate" with Uncle Sam in the morgue on the front cover. inconcievable. and the sad thing is he's never been in a really GOOD movie either.
When people think of Providence, Rhode Island they typically think of organized crime

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

and the sad thing is he's never been in a really GOOD movie either

what!?!?!?!?

friday is arguably the greatest comedy ever made
boyz in the hood is unarguably one of the greatest movies ever made
barber sharp is 'really good'
three kings is great
anaconda is really good

and im sure im forgetting one or two

FAZER

Post by FAZER »

Word. Being kind of young, I discovered The Early Ice Cube last year, and have been listening to him non-stop since. In fact, its almost all Ice Cube in my most played list on my Ipod. I liked AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted the best at first, but I find myself listening to Death Certificate more now.

And Ill agree that Friday, Boyz in the hood, and Three Kings were good movies.

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

clark bent wrote:and the sad thing is he's never been in a really GOOD movie either

what!?!?!?!?

friday is arguably the greatest comedy ever made
boyz in the hood is unarguably one of the greatest movies ever made
barber sharp is 'really good'
three kings is great
anaconda is really good

and im sure im forgetting one or two
i already mentioned "Friday" in my original post and recognize it as a great COMEDY. i can laugh to that shit over and over...but a comedy about a day in the life in the ghetto ain't getting any praise as a great movie movie...or "film".

i'm embarrased to say i forgot about "boyz in the hood"...which is his best...but that's the only one.

"barber shop"? overrated comedy...not even that funny
"three kings"? no where NEAR the upper enchelon of action films
"anaconda"? are you serious???? horrible

he has alot of potential as an actor...and uncoincidentally "Boyz In The Hood", the movie that displayed that potential the most, was the movie that turned him towards Hollywood. after that he never was in GREAT AWARD CALIBER FILM MOVIES. clark, i respect your opinion on hiphop music to a great deal...but "anaconda"???? just doesn't cut it...
When people think of Providence, Rhode Island they typically think of organized crime

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

not all movies are gonna win an academy award...anaconda for its genre of cheesy type action movies is excellent...and overall is a really good movie

we can argue all day about what movie is good and what isnt but the point i was making is that saying ice cube has only been in one really good movie is nuts

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

and my point is Cube hasn't reached his full potential or been in critically acclaimed GOOD movies since "Boyz in the Hood"... i know not everyting has to win an academy award.

and Cube was a friggin cameraman in "Anaconda" along side Jennifer Lopez (who doesn't have the greatest track record)...c'mon, is that really the type of roll you envisioned him in circa "B.I.T.H."?

so yes, i do think he's only been in one really good movie...and one really good comedy.
Last edited by Dunnnnleavy on Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

three kings had ton of oscar buzz and was critically lauded...believe it or not and i could pull the reviews for you but so was anaconda (minus the oscar talk)...as was friday and barber shop

hes had fan favorites, box office winners, and critically acclaimed movies...not sure what more he can do...if anything i believe hes surpassed what i and most people expected of him when he first went into movies...in fact most people said he was great in boyz in the hood but that he would never do anything again and if he did he would never be able to step outside of that same type role

no one could have ever imagined hed star in a three kings a barber shop or a friday much less write the screenplay (friday/barber shop)

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

clark bent wrote:in fact most people said he was great in boyz in the hood but that he would never do anything again and if he did he would never be able to step outside of that same type role
and he shouldn't have...but i guess that's exactly where we disagree. actually, i know you're a huge Cube fan...so i think you can still, given everything considered, agree that you'ld rather have seen him making albums like "DC" than being a cameraman and staring alongside Jennifer Lopez in a cheesy action movie that's premise has been done alot better ("Jurassic Park", "Jaws").