Wildstyle - The soundtrack and the movie

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Wildstyle - The soundtrack and the movie

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

This was the first classic rap album
some of the best and most timeless beats ever
people could come out over these today and they'd still sound fresh.

It's a shame that rap pretty much moved on to the whole electro thing just after this album had dropped as it was when people were using live instruments to create a more hard sound
instead of the previous in-house bands at labels like Sugarhill and Enjoy merely replaying classic breaks
a Melle Mel album over these type of beats woulda been ridiculous.

And as for the movie
so many classic scenes and snippets of dialogue :

Where Zorro/Lee goes back to his bedroom only to find his brother Hector there - "What the fuck is that du-rag on your head?"

Any scene Busy Bee is in - his battles, the limosene and the hotel with the chicks, where he's givin' out flyers and his final apperance on stage at the amphitheater.

Where Lee, Zephyr, Fade/Fab Five Freddy and Patti Astor are in the train yard. "you gon' make money like Barry White, maaannn"

The Coldcrush VS Fantastic five battles at the Dixie and on the basketball court.

Where the stick-up kids roll up on Lee and Patti Astor only for Fab Five Freddy saves the day - "you heard it on the radio, you seen it on the tv show..A to the k.. A to the muthafuckin' C".

Patti Astor attempting to dance with Rock Steady.

Where Chico is talkin' to Lee about Lady Pink - "i heard she be givin' that out to all them graffiti guys".

Flash cuttin' up "mardi gras" and "god made me funky" in the kitchen.

Where they're at the art gallery and Lee is explainin' rap music to the old grey skinned cracker square. "Say HOOEEEEEE".

Double Trouble rhymin' on the steps.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

You reminded me to pull this out (both wax and movie) thanks!

I agree that this kind of sound was dope as fuck and I wish it was pursued a bit more. Hopefully some revivalist fucks find about 30 tapes worth of stuff like this that was never released and make a comp or something. they do it for everything...

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Re: Wildstyle - The soundtrack and the movie

Post by Reggie »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:Any scene Busy Bee is in - his battles, the limosene and the hotel with the chicks, where he's givin' out flyers and his final apperance on stage at the amphitheater.
And then he goes back to that rank-ass hotel and arranges his winnings (which looks to be about $100 in one-dollar bills) in a "B" on the bedspread! That is incredible.

Chris Stein was really a visionary of hip-hop production, if you come to think about it. Word is that he recorded the breaks that would be used and made a bunch of dub plates which Ahearn handed out to the DJs that would appear in the film, so they could make up routines around those breaks for use in the movie. Genius. What a way to circumvent copyright law and still stay true to hip-hop production!

Abinatra

Post by Abinatra »

Reggie wrote:
I Drive A Lexus wrote:Any scene Busy Bee is in - his battles, the limosene and the hotel with the chicks, where he's givin' out flyers and his final apperance on stage at the amphitheater.
And then he goes back to that rank-ass hotel and arranges his winnings (which looks to be about $100 in one-dollar bills) in a "B" on the bedspread! That is incredible.
Them broads looked mad hesitant 'til they saw those $1 bills though. When I first saw it, I thought an orgy was about to break out.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Reggie wrote:Chris Stein was really a visionary of hip-hop production, if you come to think about it. Word is that he recorded the breaks that would be used and made a bunch of dub plates which Ahearn handed out to the DJs that would appear in the film, so they could make up routines around those breaks for use in the movie. Genius. What a way to circumvent copyright law and still stay true to hip-hop production!
Yeah, that was mentioned on the DVD's commentary.