Am I missing something about Saafir?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

admiral

Am I missing something about Saafir?

Post by admiral »

I just pulled out The Boxcar Sessions and The Hit List after a 4 year listening hiatus, and still came to the same conclusion - I really dislike dude's flow. I understand what he is trying to do with his rhyme scheme, but it fails almost every time to be interesting.

The beats are pretty good, and he comes off incredible on a couple of tracks, but for the most part, he puts me to bed. Anyone not from Oakland feel me on this one?

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

im with ya...at some point along the way boxcar sessions attained cult classic status...and to this day im not sure why...nice album with a couple incredible songs but thats it

i far prefer something like mystics of the god...dont ask me why but to me it was always the east coast contemporary of boxcar but never got the same love

oracle21

Post by oracle21 »

yeah u either like it or u dont. this applies to everyone with a different type of flow. i like boxcar sessions and some of the jams on there re really ill. but i can see how people would dislike it

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

i dont like boxcar sessions at all.i have an original copy somewhere so if any saafir fanatics want it, hit me up
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

trigonometry or whatever it was called was a good album

and not to sound bias, but his verse on my first album "let's smoke" was seriously too ill.

oracle21

Post by oracle21 »

hell yeah phila i agree although i am not into krondon at all. by the way yo proper props were not given for the planet asia pete rock track. shit was bananas!!!

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

I still think that Saafir was way ahead of his time, NO One was rhyming like that back in 1994... he had an incredible voice and delivery in my view.

RedRum

Post by RedRum »

concidering my location, i guess ill remain quiet.
Bringing crack to the whole bay

Move Free

Post by Move Free »

im not from oakland

this thread is interesting, because i finally decided to change the pic in my sig from ice cube to saafir, and it turns out i picked the picture jaz posted, completely by accident. sorry jaz!

saafir is incredibly super dope. i suggest you give him another chance in a year or so and see what you think. i didn't get the hype for a long time, and it took about 5 or 6 years for me to appreciate boxcar sessions. i picked it up when i was 15, and didn't get it until i was 20. his rhyme styles are completely bizarre and he's got what i consider to be the dopest delivery in rap, but it took a while to be appreciated.

saafir is like weird food. at first you can't understand why anyone would like it, and then you just want another taste. but after a while, all you want to eat is that crazy new food.

peace.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

Move Free wrote:im not from oakland

this thread is interesting, because i finally decided to change the pic in my sig from ice cube to saafir, and it turns out i picked the picture jaz posted, completely by accident. sorry jaz!

saafir is incredibly super dope. i suggest you give him another chance in a year or so and see what you think. i didn't get the hype for a long time, and it took about 5 or 6 years for me to appreciate boxcar sessions. i picked it up when i was 15, and didn't get it until i was 20. his rhyme styles are completely bizarre and he's got what i consider to be the dopest delivery in rap, but it took a while to be appreciated.

saafir is like weird food. at first you can't understand why anyone would like it, and then you just want another taste. but after a while, all you want to eat is that crazy new food.

peace.
I agree with you fully...I was 17 when I bought Boxcar Sessions and I was like "What the fuck!??!!? Casual's album is soooo much better!!!" and then I kept listening to it and then I grew to like it and plus the production was just so got-damn nasty!!!!!