DJ Shadow - endtroducing.

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

I Drive A Lexus wrote: Obviously, i know it's more than likely gonna be a lot more popular with the Cali heads
as y'all tend to like more laid back/down-tempo type shit
but i wanted to know what other people thought.
This is exactly what I was gonna say, although I wasn't going to include any geographical biases.

Some people like laid back music, some don't. Hell, some even like Pig Destroyer and Bob Marley; it's true.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Geographical/drug biases
may be the key.

our side : coke.

Over your side : weed.

ogice

Post by ogice »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:Geographical/drug biases
may be the key.

our side : coke.

Over your side : weed.
Tell that to half of Los Angeles :roll:

Just cause you're a skinny cokehead doesn't mean everyone is...Cokeheads are crazy ass weirdos.

"Cokeheads are like crackheads with dough." -My boy Shaq

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Yeah, but, generally, they're more into smokin' than us
probably because they get higher quality goods than us
i'm thinking more back to the time when this album dropped
and the "hip-hop community", rather than the entire general public.

Cali was still g-funked out and the new breed of underground cats all had that chilled out formula
whereas NYC at the tme the whole Gotti/Escobar era was really comin' into effect and everybody was sniffin'.

Shit, the proof is in the pudding in the definitive album of the '95/'96 timespan:
"only built 4 cuban linx"
the ultimate coked out rap album.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:Yeah, but, generally, they're more into smokin' than us
probably because they get higher quality goods than us
i'm thinking more back to the time when this album dropped
and the "hip-hop community", rather than the entire general public.

Cali was still g-funked out and the new breed of underground cats all had that chilled out formula
whereas NYC at the tme the whole Gotti/Escobar era was really comin' into effect and everybody was sniffin'.

Shit, the proof is in the pudding in the definitive album of the '95/'96 timespan:
"only built 4 cuban linx"
the ultimate coked out rap album.
I don't know, I did coke and weed back then so your hypothesis doesn't apply to me or the people I chose to hang with back then. Come to think of it, there really wasn't a drug I turned down in those days.

Now, drinking is my only vice.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

its simply music, straight up. one of my favorite albums of all time.

zygmontone

Post by zygmontone »

SYMantiks wrote:its simply music, straight up. one of my favorite albums of all time.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Hasenfefer wrote:
Money Gripp wrote:
agent b wrote:i completely agree with the stereotype of pretentious hipsters who obsess over this album but that doesnt stop it from being a solid record from front to back.
Word. It's overrated as fuck, but nevertheless, a great record.
how can an album be overrated and still be a great record? you people make it like he sold a million copies and his name is a household word.
When Spin Magazine, Rollingstone, (and probably People magazine) declare it's one of the greatest albums of the 90's alongside Nevermind, Enter The 36 Chambers, Loveless, and OK Computer, that in my mind makes it extremely overrated. It does not deserve to be mentioned in the same class as those albums. It's just not that good or even that important of a record. It is[/] a very unique record which mostly accounts for it being so overrated.

Steezel Weezel

Re: DJ Shadow - endtroducing.

Post by Steezel Weezel »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:I'd consider this a hip hop album for people that don't like hip hop - it's the token hip hop album fans of house and techno own, isn't it?
Add indie rock fans to that list... They always have this, and some Del or Doom record or something...

I think Endtroducing is a good record... not really my thing, but I like it enough.
Money Gripp wrote:When Spin Magazine, Rollingstone, (and probably People magazine) declare it's one of the greatest albums of the 90's alongside Nevermind, Enter The 36 Chambers, Loveless, and OK Computer, that in my mind makes it extremely overrated. It does not deserve to be mentioned in the same class as those albums. It's just not that good or even that important of a record. It is a very unique record which mostly accounts for it being so overrated.
Good point.

Also, I think the fact that it is overrated by huge music publications contributes to negative attitudes concerning the album. If you read a consensus that Endtroducing is some groundbreaking must-own, and listen to it the first time and hear extended downtempo-style instrumentals, you might feel a little disillusioned.

Kilgore786

Post by Kilgore786 »

agent b wrote:to me, this album basically proved that a full length instrumental hip hop LP can be made and made strong enough to stand on its own without emcees. producers have been trying to achieve this for years and few have accomplished it.

i completely agree with the stereotype of pretentious hipsters who obsess over this album bt that doesnt stop it from being a solid record from front to back.

co-signed like a mofo.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Entroducing was one of the first instrumental LPs I ever listened to that SUPREMELY and DEFINITIVELY illustrated the power of the sampler as a composition tool. Aside from that, though, this is one of the BEST engineering jobs I've ever heard on a "hip hop" album. Or any album for that matter.

Raphael De La Ghetto

Post by Raphael De La Ghetto »

I love this album but its pretty on point when people talk about the typical guy who likes this album.
I've noticed a lot of people who don't like rap, like this album. However, this is one of the few albums that I liked every track a lot. I've known albums where I can stand every track, but this album didn't have a track I did not like.
Building Steam With A Grain of Salt (The first actual song) is my favourite song of all time.
But yes, most of the people who push this record are for the most part, hipster douchebags.

Dids

Post by Dids »

I like this album, but only when I'm in the exact right mood for it. I remember being on a car trip with my folks, and playing it for them thinking that "this is hip-hop that middle aged white folk will enjoy". They hated it and accused it of being crappy new age- but dug "Do You Want More". Yay for my folks.

Black on Both Sides is lame in points, but the 5 or 6 song stretch that closes the album is amazing.