Mantronik

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Rey Slo

Mantronik

Post by Rey Slo »

I just recently heard the Mantronix album.

How come Mantronik productions aren't referenced or spoken about more? Was this shit considered wack, because I love the shit :lol:

Judging by Cold Gettin Dumb, the work he did on Just-Ice's first one was fly too. I need to hear the rest of that, immediately.
dope, guns, & religion

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

You got it twisted
anybody with a clue recognize Kurtis Mantronik as being a legendary rap producer in the post-"sucker m.c's"/"it's yours" tuff drum machine era up there with Rick Rubin/Jazzy Jay
(props to Davy Dmx too)
and the inspiration for Neptunes, Timbaland and so on.

Tracks like "needle to the groove", "hardcore hip hop", "fresh is the word" and "bassline"
..all mid 80's classics
the late 80's breakbeat cut-up track "king of the beats" is also what's up
just avoid the "in full effect album which is really gay.

And, yes, the Just-Ice "back to the old school" album is a stone-cold '86 classic
some bananas beats on that album
go cop it.

It's a shame he got bored with rap and started making house, really.
Last edited by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) on Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

skurdur

Post by skurdur »

one of my all time favorite producers right there. his sound was crazy

Rey Slo

Post by Rey Slo »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:and the inspiration for Neptunes, Timbaland and so on.
Ah no doubt, when I first heard it, I was like damn, this where Mannie Fresh originated from.
dope, guns, & religion

boogie shoes

Post by boogie shoes »

Cold getting Dumb

Kind of the first real Ganster rap Record as well in a way. Just Ice Was no joke.

Rey Slo

Post by Rey Slo »

Recently bought the album, thought I'd provide this thread with some audio:

Mantronix (Kurtis Mantronik & MC Tee) - Hardcore Hip-Hop (1985) Sleeping Bag Records

Code: Select all

http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1568HYL3WNF5L0KXHOO28A7L2B
dope, guns, & religion

p.gunn

Post by p.gunn »

newsflash: sam sever did most of his drum programming.... go to don hill's on a tuesday and ask him......

frank b

Post by frank b »

p.gunn wrote:newsflash: sam sever did most of his drum programming....
RACIST
"My girl does shit like compare and contrast Kant, Foucault, Marx, Darwin and Socrates to Asian philosophers and Middle Eastern writers and poets I have never fucking heard of" - Mindbender Futurama

p.gunn

Post by p.gunn »

frank b wrote:
RACIST
explain????????

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

p.gunn wrote:
frank b wrote:
RACIST
explain????????
:shamus:
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

p.gunn

Post by p.gunn »

sam sever met mantronix when he was working at Vinylmania on carmine st... sam eventually did the bulk of mantronik's drum programming and mantronik would throw him a little money... sam has told me this. dante ross confirms it in his Wax Poetics interview, saying : "sam did the drum programming for mantronik and you can tell when sam left, b/c mantronik's records got a lot less funky"...

finally, if you don't believe me, go cop Tricky Tee's "leave it to the drums" credited solely to Sam... it sounds EXACTLY the same as classic mantronix stuff, something mantronik's OWN stuff from that time does not...

as for racist, if you were serious, EAT A DICK... if that was internerd sarcasm, EAT A DICK...

frank b

Post by frank b »

p.gunn wrote:
sam sever met mantronix when he was working at Vinylmania on carmine st... sam eventually did the bulk of mantronik's drum programming and mantronik would throw him a little money... sam has told me this. dante ross confirms it in his Wax Poetics interview, saying : "sam did the drum programming for mantronik and you can tell when sam left, b/c mantronik's records got a lot less funky"...

finally, if you don't believe me, go cop Tricky Tee's "leave it to the drums" credited solely to Sam... it sounds EXACTLY the same as classic mantronix stuff, something mantronik's OWN stuff from that time does not...

as for racist, if you were serious, EAT A DICK... if that was internerd sarcasm, EAT A DICK...
This information is appreciated.
"My girl does shit like compare and contrast Kant, Foucault, Marx, Darwin and Socrates to Asian philosophers and Middle Eastern writers and poets I have never fucking heard of" - Mindbender Futurama

De Seven Free

Post by De Seven Free »

My older brother, who got me into hip hop but now listens to middle-of-the-road crap, still thinks Mantronix were the greatest crew of all time. Whenever I enthuse about modern rap (meaning post 1987) he bemoans it not sounding like Mantronix.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:And, yes, the Just-Ice "back to the old school" album is a stone-cold '86 classic
some bananas beats on that album
go cop it.
It also got re-issued so it shouldn't be too hard to find. Highly recommended album.

Rey Slo

Post by Rey Slo »

^ Does Sleeping Bag/ Fresh Records have a website? Because I've had my eyes out for that re-issue, and I'm starting to think it was some Euro-only shit.
dope, guns, & religion

p.gunn

Post by p.gunn »

Rey wrote:^ Does Sleeping Bag/ Fresh Records have a website? Because I've had my eyes out for that re-issue, and I'm starting to think it was some Euro-only shit.
dude who owns sleeping bag/fresh still lives in NYC and still controls his own stuff... he has no website, but still deals with his catalog... a friend of a friend worked for him and i got a buncha shit on repress: just ice: back to the old school, epmd- strictly business ( as well as a lotta 12"'s.. you're a custemer, you gots to chill, and a bunch more), get retarded, a buncha nice n smooth (funky 4 you) and a bunch more....

the way i hear it, the sleeping bag guy owns a record press and has realized people are sweating the mid to late 80's stuff now and is repressing it all himself (literally)...

i know that doesn't help you find it, but it is out there... (so beware buying ANYTHING on Sleeping Bag/Fresh on ebay b/c almost everything has been repressed...)

Chris

Fresh is the word.

Post by Chris »

M.C. Tee was pretty slick on the mic. Kurt Mantronik also produced T-La Rock's solo album The Lyrical King back around '87 if I remember correctly.
Now, if U listen, I'mma tell ya'.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

^ You're correct
i've always been a fan of the fingerless white gloves T La Rock is sporting on the front of the "back to burn" 12" cover.