"From Where??"- Mad Skillz

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

peanut butter

"From Where??"- Mad Skillz

Post by peanut butter »

Damn good album. Slept on like a motherfucker. Production is super-fresh. How come he never came out after this? Hard to believe there was no market for him after such a good debute.

Also, is it me, or does dude sound JUST like Big L on this shit?

PEACE

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

good debut, surprised he never got some independent to re-release it, but that said, I think Mad Skillz never had his mind right... he's tried really hard to make it with Timbaland, and through his ghostwriting, instead of focusing on making a solid album on an independent and building from there... he's fairly overrated as a lyricist though... a pretty run of the mill punchline rapper, he never had the charisma of a Big L or Lord Finesse... but it's still a good album... Large Professor laces it

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I bought The Nod Factor 12" when it came out but I ended up not checking the album when I had the chance. Ever since then I've heard great things about it and it's been getting silly prices on the net. Gutted.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

This was single handedly the biggest disappointment as far as debut albums went in 95. Mad Skillz made a lot of noise from Unsigned Hype to his dream team of producers on his debut. The
Last edited by Philaflava on Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Spartan wrote:I bought The Nod Factor 12" when it came out but I ended up not checking the album when I had the chance. Ever since then I've heard great things about it and it's been getting silly prices on the net. Gutted.

funny shit about fickle net prices too... I remember a time when I saw it everywhere for 99 cents etc... figured I could pick it up real cheap whenever, was never in a hurry to get it... one day I decided to cop it and it was 25-35 bucks... I decided to download it instead

PEACE

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

I've seen it listed for $50.

"Extra Abstract Skillz" is a classic, along "Tip Of The Toungue."

The whole Supafriendz click blew it. I actually prefer Danja Mowf to Skillz and Lonnie B aint no joke either but Skillz own lack of sucess fucked it up for the whole click. I just can't figure out if it was his or the industry's fault because that album was primed for sucess.

Last time I saw Skillz he was Missy's hype man at an awards show, I assume one of the low-lights of his career. Maybe ol boy needs to get Mad again, because those end of the year rap ups aint puttin no food on the table.

PEACE

B. Ware tha Siniq

peanut butter wrote:I've seen it listed for $50.
yeah I was talking about a few years back... I stopped looking for it after I heard it... it's good, but I'm not looking for it unless in a bargin bin

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

The biggest waste of beats in hip hop's history, more so than Livin' Proof.

(For the record, Group Home doesn't really bother me on that album).

Post by Guest »

"From Where" came out on the same day that "The Score" and "Me Against The World" were released. Sure, Mad Skillz is overrated and not altogether special, but c'mon, kid clearly got jerked by his non-thinking label.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

^^ I only see this as being relevant in 1996, specifically to record sales. Nearly ten years later, we can look back and analyze albums more objectively, and I'm still of the opinion that Mad Skillz ruined that album.

Cyn0zure

Post by Cyn0zure »

If anyone has a soundscan account, I'm curious to see how much this sold, this was a little before my time but the production lineup was ridiculous and he got q-tip to cosign him...

regardless, danja mowf, whatever happened to him, he went from dropping an underground classic, to making big noise with the are you that somebody remix, and now i havent heard anything from him in years...funny i used to be a big fan too...

supposedly mad skillz is making a decent living touring, i dont know what songs he's really performing though..

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

[quote="Philaflava"]This was single handedly the biggest disappointment as far as debut albums went in 95. Mad Skillz made a lot of noise from Unsigned Hype to his dream team of producers on his debut. The

Doogs

Post by Doogs »

it was okay overall,

but it def had some good songs.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

in terms of just this album i think yall are hating on skills a bit much...i thought he came nice on it...hes not big l or anything but more than holds his own and along with the beats makes for a very good record

Kelly Kel

Post by Kelly Kel »

once upon a time i used to listen to radio shows just 2 see if they had a freestyle from mad skillz on it

"i'd leave chante moore's p*ssy in stiches
I'd f*ck rupaul before I f*ck them ugly ass xscape b*tches" - Biggie

www.16bars.com/robkelly

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

Way too hyped up.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

This album is so ILL.

"It's goin' down, baby...It's goin' down!!!"

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

"rap til mutherfuckin' Biz Markie gets cute" or some shit.

KRS-THUN ATTACK!

Post by KRS-THUN ATTACK! »

Employee wrote:"rap til mutherfuckin' Biz Markie gets cute" or some shit.
The number of :arrow: moments on that one little freestyle is staggering.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

KRS-THUN ATTACK! wrote:
Employee wrote:"rap til mutherfuckin' Biz Markie gets cute" or some shit.
The number of :arrow: moments on that one little freestyle is staggering.
hahahahahahahaa.

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

I think all the criticism is on-point to a degree. That said, the album is pretty strong. I recall enjoying it a lot when it came out...but when you look at the credits, it really becomes an underwhelming album. I don't think it deserves all the hate it gets though.
http://www.twitter.com/the_illatino

RIP Josh
Galvatron78 wrote:I wanna put my head up Irina's skirt and say a Das Efx verse.

Ethix Skeptro
Location: 416-905, Creataz 4cefield, Hollow Erf, K2, Killamanjaro, Ararat, Taigetos & Pindus Mts

Post by Ethix Skeptro »

Combo7 wrote:The biggest waste of beats in hip hop's history, more so than Livin' Proof.

(For the record, Group Home doesn't really bother me on that album).
Livin' Proof...ish is well produced and street-hop! I love that 'lp!