The West's Equivalant to illmatic?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

parappa

The West's Equivalant to illmatic?

Post by parappa »

im thinking

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Re: The West's Equivalant to illmatic?

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

parappa wrote:im thinking

Move Free

Post by Move Free »

good question

but what exactly do you mean by "illmatic"

if you mean a solo MC working with a variety of top notch producers, with slightly different feels, then its AmeriKKKas Most Wanted or Death Certificate, as far as I'm concerned.

If you mean a mid 90s renaissance album that changes up the game and redefines lyricism, then I would say All Balls Don't Bounce or Future Development

If you mean a classic album that gets jocked to death by rap message board frequenters and "heads," then its Soul On Ice

If its a great album that went wood in the hood while the other coast blew the F' up, then it's Mac Mall

i don't think there's a real west coast equivilant to illmatic, and to compare east coast and west coast is rather difficult. its two different games.

that being said, WEST UP!

mud

Post by mud »

Move Free wrote:Death Certificate

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

there isnt one

multsanta

Post by multsanta »

Move Free wrote:If you mean a mid 90s renaissance album that changes up the game and redefines lyricism, then I would say All Balls Don't Bounce or Future Development
how did either of these records "change up the game"? ABDB sold like 12 copies then went out of print and future development didn't come out until like four years after it was recorded.

Liger Woods

Post by Liger Woods »

Amerikkka's Most Wanted or Doggystyle.

admiral

Post by admiral »

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet:

(although I am one of the few who thinks Chronic 2001 trumps this)

Liger Woods

Post by Liger Woods »

admiral wrote:I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet:

(although I am one of the few who thinks Chronic 2001 trumps this)
the only reason i didn't mention it because it's not really a true solo but then again the snoop album i listed has a gang of guest appearances as well.

off topic...but the way kurupt flowed on doggystyle...i can't believe he's gone this far down hill.

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

Lyrically it's gotta be Ras Kass Soul On Ice. Beat wise iono just too much heat coming from the west at that time.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

The question is as absurd as the east coast version of "Doggystyle."

The answer obviously is: there is no such thing.

The location the album was concieved at is so intrinsic to the meaning of the album, there could be no substitute for it. The key to "Illmatic" is that it is 100% New York and nothing else.

"Soul On Ice" and "Illmatic" are similar in the fact that both were made by supreme lyricists at the top of their game at the time it was recorded. Buts thats where the similarities end.

PEACE

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

mud wrote:
ding ding ding

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

DOC didn't have the sales impact, but his debut was one hell of an album.

Cyn0zure

Post by Cyn0zure »

Doggystyle

Post by Guest »

peanut butter wrote:The question is as absurd as the east coast version of "Doggystyle."

The location the album was concieved at is so intrinsic to the meaning of the album, there could be no substitute for it. The key to "Illmatic" is that it is 100% New York and nothing else.

"Soul On Ice" and "Illmatic" are similar in the fact that both were made by supreme lyricists at the top of their game at the time it was recorded. Buts thats where the similarities end.

PEACE
I agree, to an extent, meaning that yes, Illmatic's point of origin is the cipher to appreciating and understanding the work and its impact, but I would offer that The Chronic is very similar in that regard.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

man you old school cats... don't you know it's The Game The Documentary? That shit is Doggystyle, Ready to Die, & Illmatic IN ONE!

PEACE

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:man you old school cats... don't you know it's The Game The Documentary? That shit is Doggystyle, Ready to Die, & Illmatic IN ONE!

PEACE
hella

PEACE

$

Post by $ »

peanut butter wrote:The question is as absurd as the east coast version of "Doggystyle."

PEACE
Word. Soul On Ice doens't even come close production wise to Illmatic.
The worst beat on Illmatic sounds better than the best on Soul On Ice.

Illmatic had 9 Songs, 5 producers & 1 guest spot with a bumpable intro as well. There is No wasted space from beginning to end, Illmatic is the kind of album you played front to back & then over again- 2 to 3 times at least.

There is no equivilent to it from the west, NY or anywhere else for that matter.
Dollars and sense

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

Soul On Ice doens't even come close production wise to Illmatic.

truth be told neither do the rhymes

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Philaflava wrote:
mud wrote:
ding ding ding