Tha Alkaholiks appreciation thread

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Dunnnnleavy

Tha Alkaholiks appreciation thread

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

i know this has been done plenty of times in the past...but spring is coming, the weather is getting warmer, it's almost time to pull out all the Liks, Beanuts, PUTS, ATCQ, Too Short, ect ect...

anyways...

reading the Nice & Smooth thread there was alot of mention about them making great party hiphop...

which makes you think about the quitessential hiphop party/drinking&smoking group, Tha Liks...agree/disagree?

great golden age hiphop that channelled the spirts of the old school party atmosphere. beats that bumped, lyrics about having fun and enjoying life...what's better than that?

on a 0-10 point pretentious scale they rank about a 0.

my favorite tracks include "Make Room", "Bullshit", "Let it Out", "Daaam!", "Hip Hop Drunkies"...

21 & Over vs. Coast II Coast???????

discuss, share, show respect...maybe we need a mp3x Liks flood
When people think of Providence, Rhode Island they typically think of organized crime

Kevduce

Post by Kevduce »

I played Daaam at a party tonight. You would think that their alcohol talk would get boring but it really doesnt. Not to mention that both emcees are hilarious.

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

Kevduce wrote:I played Daaam at a party tonight.
thank you
When people think of Providence, Rhode Island they typically think of organized crime

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

2014 is my favourite tune by them

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

they were the westcoast beatnuts.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

one of my favorite groups...i put them right in the mix with tribe beatnuts gangstarr and de la...to me they were the west coast version of the nuts

tash may be the most underrated mc of all-time...what made him amazing other than the power of his voice was his ability to rhyme perfectly with whatever beat he was given...as opposed to writing his rhyme ahead of time and knowing how he was gonna flow regardless of what kind of beat he was given...

this brings up another reason as to why they were so dope...because they were a group in the true sense of the word...something that doesnt happen in these days of bringing in outside producer of the moment types who probably arent even in the room when the song is being cut

best albums

1. 21 & over- one of the great straight thru listens of all-time...every song bangs...e-swifts drums on this album are incredible

2. coast II coast- a definite notch below 21 & over...imo the beats arent as good...but a fantastic album nonetheless...tash is really in a zone on this album...what makes these albums so great is that they arent overly long...at 10 and 11 tracks they hold a great consistency without any filler that even some of the best albums ever have

3. likwitdation- also a level below the album that preceeded it...this is because they abandoned their formula...going from 10-11 tracks to 19...ironically tho this is the quintessential alkaholik album...almost every song on here is about gettin bent...a true party album

4. xo experience- disgraceful attempt at selling out...the rhymes are basically classic liks shit...but the beats are downright awful...you can almost hear e-swift sayin why the fuck ami doing this...him on these beats is like trying to fit a round peg in a square whole...its almost sad...all you need to know here ios the neptunes did a beat on on a liks album wtf?...one of the few highlites of the album is busta rhymes killin it on 'bully foot'

6 best alkaholik songs
1. daaam (buckwild remix)
2. only when im drunk
3. read my lips
4. liktwit
5. make room
6. wlix

Raphael De La Ghetto

Post by Raphael De La Ghetto »

Good to see someone lse appreciate WLIX. I never hear anyone talk about that track, it's one of my favourite opening cuts.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

clark bent wrote: to me they were the west coast version of the nuts

copy cat.

seriously though, they both loved rappin' about alchohol they all had that afro-spanish thing goin' on and their styles were all too similar.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

Good news: I'm seeing them on Tuesday. YA I'M PSYCHED!!!!!!!
This show will be off the fucking heezy.

Bad news: The Farewell Tour
Damn folks, get those tickets if they comin through your town...

21 and over is my favorite shit to bump after a few drinks. unquestionably some of the most fun crazy shit ever put to wax.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

clark bent wrote: to me they were the west coast version of the nuts

copy cat

lol...didnt even read the thread before i posted

i guess they really are

MistaTurk

Post by MistaTurk »

one of my favorite groups..."21 & over" and "coast II coast" are both nice and short. great party rhymes over dope beats.
tash's flow + j.ro's funny lyrics + e-swift's beats = 2 classic albums

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

I used to rock an Alkaholiks pic in my sig. The Liks are one of my fave groups hands-down. The first three albums are all 4.5 albums and all have great moments. Tash and J-Ro sound dope together on record and it was all about having fun but it wasn't corny. Appreciated.
http://www.twitter.com/the_illatino

RIP Josh
Galvatron78 wrote:I wanna put my head up Irina's skirt and say a Das Efx verse.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Philaflava wrote:clark bent wrote: to me they were the west coast version of the nuts

copy cat.

seriously though, they both loved rappin' about alchohol they all had that afro-spanish thing goin' on and their styles were all too similar.
i do agree, but i hope this is not a diss. it's disgusting really how poorly their records sold.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

ackbar wrote:
Philaflava wrote:clark bent wrote: to me they were the west coast version of the nuts

copy cat.

i do agree, but i hope this is not a diss. it's disgusting really how poorly their records sold.
yeah, they never had good sales #'s and they were on loud/columbia for years. i think they had a shit budget until the X.O. Experience.

21 & over is a classic, but coast II coast is my personal favorite. j-ro was slept on.

Mike Damone
Location: Ridgemont Mall, postin' up next to Liccorice Pizza.

Post by Mike Damone »

I kicked it with Tash and J-Ro at a rooftop party in Culver City once. Couple o' nice cats.

Grand Central

Post by Grand Central »

One of my all time favourites, top 5 from the west coast for me.

Coast II Coast is a must when you are getting faded with crew. They did everything so well: lyrics are fun, clever, witty and got you in the mood to party. The beats are funky, always get my head nodding.

And word up to WLIX, illest album intro, that shit gets me everytime

And to my ex-bitch if I ever find ya, Ima slap ya for all the times I had to *69 ya

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

I fuckin love the alkaholics (predictable, I know). OLDE ENGLISH IS IN DA HOUSE!

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

MASTER416 wrote:Good to see someone lse appreciate WLIX. I never hear anyone talk about that track, it's one of my favourite opening cuts.

WLIX is nuts kid...some of Madlib's finest ever work, and the first appearance of Declaime...WLIX is an underground gem and was in my view ahead of it's time...The Liks made some very dope records but there last album and Tash's album were frankly redundant and boring, I hope that last album is a hella return to form, I have been a Liks fan since the fat KIng Tee ft The Alkaholiks-Got It Bad Y'All"
^That is where my love for The Alkaholiks started, in a way it started earlier as I was a fan of E-Swift on King Tee's-At At Your Own Risk 1990 LP, but man those kids gave us countless classic party records and just that good old headnod hip hop shit that was clearly from the West Coast but always paid homage to the East....

Does anyone know if that Beatnuts/Liks album is still going ahead...was it going to be called Liks Nuts or something?
:lol: ..(i'm serious, not about that title but there was supposed to be a collab album)

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

WLIX is nuts kid...some of Madlib's finest ever work

the drums are bananas

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

Jaz wrote:
MASTER416 wrote: Does anyone know if that Beatnuts/Liks album is still going ahead...was it going to be called Liks Nuts or something?
:lol: ..(i'm serious, not about that title but there was supposed to be a collab album)
I can only assume it'll never happen which is a damn shame........yet at the same time a relief. It'd be so disapointing to have this happen with 2005 beats, the only way it could work is if they pulled out the Sp1200 and the loops again.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

And to my ex-bitch if I ever find ya, Ima slap ya for all the times I had to *69 ya
something got into Tash on that album and he was my favorite ever since.....I was always wondering though on "Soda Pop" was that E-Swift rapping?

"I know you're sayin' DAMN THAT LIL NIGGA'S DOPE!!!! I got a loaded tech-nine under my muthafuckin' coat!!!!!!!!

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Galvatron78 wrote:
something got into Tash on that album and he was my favorite ever since.....I was always wondering though on "Soda Pop" was that E-Swift rapping?

"I know you're sayin' DAMN THAT LIL NIGGA'S DOPE!!!! I got a loaded tech-nine under my muthafuckin' coat!!!!!!!!
yeah that is E-Swift he did rhyme and he started on that KIng Tee-"At Your Own Risk"..If i remember right I think he is on "Got It Bad Y'all" too.

MD

Post by MD »

I've always preferred J-Ro over Tash for some reason. Dude just has hilarious lines:

"I take over the fake CREW-OOOOS!"

"Everytime I come home I got fifty messages / I only call back the girls with big, big breasteses"

"You gotta bad name like Dick Butkiss"

Raphael De La Ghetto

Post by Raphael De La Ghetto »

Galvatron78 wrote:

haha, I was going to post that exact quote but it kept on fucking up when I was hitting submit.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

Edit:.

Dids

Post by Dids »

Grand Central wrote:
And word up to WLIX, illest album intro, that shit gets me everytime

Co-Sign.

Also- Only When I'm Drunk is my favorite (and is it the first) use of that sample that's been rocked by a few other folks.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

Only When I'm Drunk is my favorite (and is it the first) use of that sample

epmd flipped it on 'its my thang'

KRS-THUN ATTACK!

Post by KRS-THUN ATTACK! »

clark bent wrote:Only When I'm Drunk is my favorite (and is it the first) use of that sample

New Jack neutralized. All units re-assume defensive positions.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

KRS-THUN ATTACK! wrote:
clark bent wrote:Only When I'm Drunk is my favorite (and is it the first) use of that sample

"THUN HE'S HAD ENOUGH HE CAN'T STAND!!!!!!!!"

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Galvatron78 wrote:
KRS-THUN ATTACK! wrote:

"THUN HE'S HAD ENOUGH HE CAN'T STAND!!!!!!!!"
:lol: :mrgreen: Haaaa...haaaaaa....
The looped sample in question is the Whole Darn Family's "Seven Minutes Of Funk" which was indeed used first by Erick Sermon and Parrish collectively known as EPMD, it has been used many times since and yes The Alkaholiks use of it is quite how do you kids say dupe?...however I would like to stress that the best use of it since EPMD and The Alkaholiks would have to be DJ Premier and the NYGZ on the how do you kids say joint?..."Strength"., I thought the Jay-Z and the Unfoxy Skank use of the sample was quite redundant, much like Unfoxy's career.

thank you

Prof Jaz