The Juice Crew

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Dr. Thaddeus Onlineus III

The Juice Crew

Post by Dr. Thaddeus Onlineus III »

Help me out, y'all. I'm going to do a bunch of threads in which I'd like to gather all your collective knowledge about a specific artist or collective. In this one, can we talk about The Juice Crew? History, classic releases, gossip, discographies, etc.

This is what I know/remember/have been told.
The Juice Crew was Marley Marl, Kool G Rap, Biz Markie, Big Daddy Kane, Masta Ace, MC Shan and ???.

They're all from Queensbridge.

MC Shan and by extension the group as whole battled KRS-One as Boogie Down Productions. KRS chose to interpret a Shan lyric as claiming that hip-hop started in Queensbridge, and he chose to take offense to this. A long wax battle ensued.

Masta Ace, Biz Markie and Kool G Rap are three of my favorite rappers.

That's all I got, folks. I want to know more!

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

This is what I know/remember/have been told.
The Juice Crew was Marley Marl, Kool G Rap, Biz Markie, Big Daddy Kane, Masta Ace, MC Shan and ???.
Roxanne Shante and Craig G - teh first Juice Crew members
they were down with Marley in the Pop Art days when they made cuts like "d.j cuttin'", "queen of rox" and "shout rap", respectively before even Shan got involved when Marley bounced to NIA and made records like "marley marl scratch")

Tragedy was a member too but he was locked up at the height of the Juice Crew's peak - '86 - '90. He made a track called "the tragedy" with Marley as a young'n as Superkids in 1985.

M.C Shan also tried to beef with L.L with his track "beat biter", to which the classic "the bridge" was the b. side in 1986 but it never really took off.
Marley also did "eric b. is president" and "my melody" , the first 12" by Eric. B & Rakim in '86.

Marley Marl recorded some tracks in his prime with the original Harlem mack Spoonie Gee too :
firstly there was "serve you right" and "that's my style" (a dis to Schoolly D who Spoonie accussed of biting his style/name) in '86
then in '87 "spoonie gee", "she's my girl", "mighty Mike Tyson" and the historic comeback "the godfather of rap".

The beat to "the bridge is over" by B.D.P was a Marley Marl beat Krs One and Scott La Rock found in a studio.
Last edited by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) on Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

Didn't Marley do some work with Paul C on the low? Considering I can't name any songs he did with him, this is probably a rumor that can't be substantiated.

Only the two Eric B. & Rakim tracks i think
which, i believe, Paul C. did some engineering/studio alchemy on.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Does anyone have that track "Juice Crew All-Stars"? The original cause all I ever find is that remix.

To this day, the illest djing I've heard is Marley on BLS one night scratch the shit out of this song. He kept blending the "Marley Marl" & "never get ducked" part. It was so fuckin' ill.

Also, I'm probably one of the few people (and couldn't admit this at the time being that I lived in the BX) that thought Shan's "Kill That Noise" was ill as hell. It was a damn good rebuttal to South Bronx and I really didn't think that "The Bridge is Over" killed that joint.

Oh, for my Yorx dual cassette recorder and a gray maxell 90-minute tape (when I could afford it, otherwise I had to get the clear tdk joint).

MD

Post by MD »

Cash Rulz wrote:Also, I'm probably one of the few people (and couldn't admit this at the time being that I lived in the BX) that thought Shan's "Kill That Noise" was ill as hell. It was a damn good rebuttal to South Bronx and I really didn't think that "The Bridge is Over" killed that joint.
I liked "Kill That Noise" too - it was like he just came back and said "what the fuck are you talking about?"

Can't agree on "The Bridge Is Over" though. I thought that shit was murderous.

My question is: Did anyone else besides Shan and Marley come back against KRS?

Because as late as Ghetto Music he was still going after the entire crew: "To have juice means you kiss and lick a lot of booty."

Then again, he did work with Kane (and Marley?) on the H.E.A.L. project, so I don't know.

My question is: Did anyone else besides Shan and Marley come back against KRS?
Yup
Roxanne Shante with "have a nice day" which Big Daddy Kane ghost-wrote
and Rockwell Noel & The Poet (Poet from PHD/Screwball) with "beat you down" and "taking you out" where he also dissed Red Alert by calling him a "skinny E.T" and really herbed the shit outta KRS over marrying the blimp that was Ms. Melodie.

The 2nd Shan album has a few nice joints, most notably "so def".

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

When did Craig G's "Duck Alert" come out? Before or after then?

Oh yeah i forgot about that
probably my favorite Craig G cut too
that was on "in control volume 1" that came out late '88 or early '89 i think
after the whole borough beef thing had died down in respect of Scott La. Rock gettin' snuffed
i assume it was recorded at the height of the bridge wars though as a lot of tracks on that album were joints Marley had done in '87/''88 but never released them anywhere.

Remember after Marley bounced and Shan had beef with Craig G in the early 90s?
he did that ill dis track called "ripped to streads"(sic)
remember "i be gettin' busy" by L.L off the mostly wack "in control volume 2" too..?
very slept on track and final proof he ripped Kool Moe Dee to "streads".

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

I could say that "I Be Getting Busy" ripped Moe, but Moe was backwards. That verse off "I'm Kool Moe Dee" was iller than anything LL mustered up aside from "Break of Dawn".

And yes, Vol 2 was incredibly chow. I think I listened to it once. Didn't he have some chow ass r&b chick on that one too?

admiral

Post by admiral »

word, volume 2 was awful

I guess you could technically say that some of Moe Dee's dis tracks were better lyrically but he was backed by those lame Teddy Riley beats by that time (i do like some of Teddy's rap production tho' - "the show", some of the Spoonie Gee album cuts, but his beats for Moe Dee were lackluster) and his flow/cadence and even image were dated.

For me, the best Moe Dee tracks were when he was back with Treacherous 3 on Enjoy and Sugarhill
I did hear Moe Dee wanted to battle L.L on stage but L.L was shook and that they almost came to blows once or twice.

Harlem/Bronx and Queens have always had beef ever since Run Dmc and Russell came in the door and took the spotlight from all the uptown/pelon o.g's like Furious 5, Treacherous 3 and Coldcrush, haven't they..?

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Sort of. But not really cause of Run DMC. They were crossing over (post Peter Piper) so we weren't really concerned about the shine stealing. It really was the Juice Crew/BDP thing that really set it off.

But BX and Queens were pretty tight, especially since we both shared Brooklyn as a common enemy being that they always fucked shit up, especially at Union Square.

Fortunately, the BX had the Tunnel and BK wasn't trying to venture that far north.

Melle Mel, Caz and Moe Dee and their respective groups dissed the hell outta Run Dmc and treated them like shit when they first came on the scene though.

Run Dmc dressin' street and comin' with that whole tuff 808 sound while the whole uptown/B.X crew were all still dressin' like Parliament and still pursuing the disco-band style or the electro steez
all the old timers got shook and were disresptful to them even though Run Dmc gave them nothin' but love and were huge fans of them all.

The same goes for L.L..the rumor goes that L.L's first major show was opening up for Melle Mel and Mel dissed him to his face and told him go back to Queens
and to this day that whole faction hate Russell Simmons for his takeover of the industry and rewiting of history which includes them merely as a brief footnote.

Even though Moe Dee claims he went at L.L for claiming he was the "baddest rapper in the history of rap itself" i'd put money on that it was more to do with the tension between the uptown/bronx oldguard and the Queens young bucks.

Man, i gotta throw on the Run Dmc debut album after lunch.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Oh, didn't know you talking about the old crews. Now that does sound like how it might've been. Would have to find out if some shit jumped off at the Fever. I could just ask my sister.

That's what i'm sayin'
the whole borough beef had been brewin' for a while before the actual Bridge wars kicked off and there's still somewhat of a resentment from certain elements towards Queens even today.

boogie shoes

Post by boogie shoes »

I saw a cool juice crew concert at the beacon shan thought it was cool to wear two different color pumas.

Brooklyn traveled to latin quarter wich is further uptown than the tunnel. the tunnel wasn't even that much of a hip hop club as latin quarters or union square.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

boogie shoes wrote:I saw a cool juice crew concert at the beacon shan thought it was cool to wear two different color pumas.

Brooklyn traveled to latin quarter wich is further uptown than the tunnel. the tunnel wasn't even that much of a hip hop club as latin quarters or union square.
Yeah, but the Tunnel was in the cut. BK ain't want it, lol.