regarding the newest poll

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

clark bent

regarding the newest poll

Post by clark bent »

move free brought this on...

what albums on that list are NOT classic

i came up with six...agree/disagree.....add/delete from these...

NOT CLASSIC in bold

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
KRS-ONE - Return of The Boom-Bap
Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
De La Soul - Buhloone Mind State
Ultramagnetic MC's - The Four Horsemen
ATCQ - Midnight Marauders
Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
Souls of Mischief - '93 Til Infinity
The Alkaholiks - 21 & Over
Masta Ace - Slaughterhouse
LOTUG - Here Come The Lords
DEL - No Need For Alarm
Nas - Illmatic
Biggie Smalls - Ready To Die
Outkast - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
The Beatnuts - The Beatnuts
Gang Starr - Hard To Earn
The Roots - Do You Want More
Common - Resurrection
Jeru The Damaja - Sun Rises In The East
Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep
O.K. - Stress: The Extinction Agenda
Redman - Dare Iz A Darkside

Dr. Thaddeus Onlineus III

Re: regarding the newest poll

Post by Dr. Thaddeus Onlineus III »

clark bent wrote:move free brought this on...

what albums on that list are NOT classic

i came up with six...agree/disagree.....add/delete from these...

NOT CLASSIC in bold

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
KRS-ONE - Return of The Boom-Bap
Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
De La Soul - Buhloone Mind State
Ultramagnetic MC's - The Four Horsemen
ATCQ - Midnight Marauders
Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
Souls of Mischief - '93 Til Infinity
The Alkaholiks - 21 & Over
Masta Ace - Slaughterhouse
LOTUG - Here Come The Lords
DEL - No Need For Alarm
Nas - Illmatic
Biggie Smalls - Ready To Die
Outkast - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
The Beatnuts - The Beatnuts
Common - Resurrection
Jeru The Damaja - Sun Rises In The East
Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep
O.K. - Stress: The Extinction Agenda
Redman - Dare Iz A Darkside
I disagree about Slaughtahouse.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

And Southernplayalistic

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

I agree with the two disagreements.

I also agree that Doggystyle and The Four Horsemen are not classics, though I know many West Coasters would disagree with the first strike vehemently.

And Dare Iz a Darkside is not a classic album though it is mufuggin' dope.

To be honest, I'd also strike 93 'Til Infinity, though I played the shit out of it when it dropped. It's just not in the same company as Illmatic or Slaughtahouse.

Abinatra

Post by Abinatra »

Reggie wrote:I agree with the two disagreements.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

if southernplayalistic is classic then atliens is the best album ever...cause it shits LARGE all over it

i dont think southernplayalistic is even as good as aquemini and aquemini isnt classic imo

MD

Post by MD »

I'd call Doggystyle a classic, but other than that, I'd agree with those picks.

'93 'Til is borderline to me - I guess I'd knock that one off too.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Clark Bent,

As time changes the way we view

Reggie

Post by Reggie »

[quote="Philaflava"]Clark Bent,

As time changes the way we view

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

i see and respect where yall are comin from but im the exact opposite...'playability' and the quality of the actual music contained on the record is what counts most to me

i couldnt give a fuck if southernplayalistic put the south on the map or whatever

devoglam

Post by devoglam »

southernplayalistic and doggystyle are both classic to me. slaughtahouse is close...

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

I'm pretty much in full agreement with you. The only album that I might make a case for is Slaughtahouse.

I'm not sure if I'd call No Need For Alarm a classic, though...

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

Doggystyle definitely belongs. it's totally different than the other albums on there but that does'nt make it worse or less important.

I'd argue against the Roots album personally. I'd much rather listen to say...Tical.

Mo Cheeks

Post by Mo Cheeks »

Dare iz is defnitely a classic

$

Post by $ »

Whoever said Doggystyle isn't a classic......I'll have what you're smoking.

Gin & Juice
Tha Shiznit
Lodi Dodi <I like this version better than the original.
Murder Was The Case
Serial Killa
Doggy Dogg World
Who Am I
Gz & Hustlas
Pump Pump

That's 9 bumpable songs right there.
Dollars and sense

KRS-THUN ATTACK!

Re: regarding the newest poll

Post by KRS-THUN ATTACK! »

Definitely not classic:

Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle: The Chronic is so much better that I just can't take this album, the much-hyped follow-up, seriously at all. A couple of great songs and a bunch of forgettable post-NWA outtake beats. Snoop ranges from inspired to boring on this.

Masta Ace - Slaughterhouse: This album hardly has any standout tracks. I love it and play it from time to time but it's not quite a classic. Masta Ace's first album will always be his best.

LOTUG - Here Come The Lords: If you lived in Jersey in 1993, you heard the sngs from this album far more than you ever needed to. I can die happily if I never hear a song from this album ever again. A few nice cuts, but LOTUG straight up suck when they get all churchy on us.

DEL - No Need For Alarm: Dope album, but reminds me of Slaughtahouse in that sense that most of the tracks sound very similar and not too many standouts.

Outkast - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik: Yeah I dug this album at the time but it's not THAT GREAT. Crumblin' Erb is the shit though.

Borderline:
Common - Resurrection

[/i]

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Oh, man, no way. No Need For Alarm is, in my mind, the epitome of the perfect album. Zero skits. Rock solid, innovative production. Pitch perfect rhymes. Del's delivery and mastery of rap on this album is fucking insane. I can't even pinpoint one weak track.

As far as Doggystyle goes, that shit encapsulates west coast arrangement/production to the fullest. Even moreso than The Chronic, in my opinion. Deep, dirty, and funky. Daz and Dre created some nasty backdrops for Snoop's lyrics.

$

Post by $ »

Employee wrote:Oh, man, no way. No Need For Alarm is, in my mind, the epitome of the perfect album. Zero skits. Rock solid, innovative production. Pitch perfect rhymes. Del's delivery and mastery of rap on this album is fucking insane. I can't even pinpoint one weak track.

As far as Doggystyle goes, that shit encapsulates west coast arrangement/production to the fullest. Even moreso than The Chronic, in my opinion. Deep, dirty, and funky. Daz and Dre created some nasty backdrops for Snoop's lyrics.
No Need For Alarm is a classic, but the first side much more so than the flip.
You're in Shambles=the truth.
Dollars and sense

MD

Post by MD »

$ wrote:You're in Shambles=the truth.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

the chronic and doggystyle for the most part are strictly single driven...i know you can probably name a song or two that werent singles and you think are dope but for the most part outside of the released tracks the albums are pretty bland

especially on doggystyle where everything after murder was the case is long drawn out crap

no need for alarm is a no brainer imo...like employee said its a perfect album...doesnt mean its the best album or even a top ten but its definitely classic...the beats are incredible and del rips it on everything song...if nothing else its del at his best before he turned into a complete cornball

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Personally, i'd definately call "doggy-style" and "southerplayalistic.." classic ..two albums that've stood the test of time, defined an era and, more importantly, bump all the way through
the rest in bold on Bent's list though...nah.

However, i don't consider "resurrection" classic as i don't like Common and any album where a rapper lets his pops on a track is automatically corny anyway
never really a big Jeru fan either other than 5 or 6 joints either so his debut isn't classic to me.

mud

Post by mud »

Doggystyle > The Chronic

KRS-THUN ATTACK!

Post by KRS-THUN ATTACK! »

WHen I think about it, props are due to Southerplayalistic and Doggystyle in a production sense because they are definitely innovative. I guess its just not my favorite style of production on either. Is there perhaps a difference between an "industry" classic and a personal classic?
Last edited by KRS-THUN ATTACK! on Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reggie

Post by Reggie »

KRS-THUN ATTACK! wrote:WHen I think about it, props are due to Southerplayalistic and Doggystyle in a production sense because they are definitely innovative. I guess its just not my favorite style of production on either. Is there perhaps a difference between an "inudstry" classic and a personal classic?
Yeah, I think that's kind of what I was getting at with my post above. I mean, there are all kinds of songs that out-and-out suck but which hold certain memories for me, or which I liked for a unique reason, that makes them personally classic. The Goats' Tricks of the Shade is like that for me; I have heard peoples' arguments as to why this album was corny and one of the origins of frat-rap, but I still have too many good memories bumping this lp to not consider it with a lot of sentimentality. In discussion with knowledgeable heads, though, I am more prone to citing "industry" classics, albums that I attempt to judge more objectively, with a set criteria. An example of this for me would be Cypress Hill's first lp, which brought weed (back) into the mainstream, changed rap for a minute, and gave every white kid license to rock a skully to this day. Personally, though, I don't consider this album a classic and think it's fairly mediocre.