School Me On Group Home

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Stoned Starks

School Me On Group Home

Post by Stoned Starks »

so i just got Livin Proof and its confusing me.. I know Premier made the beats but its strange that he would give them to a pair of mediocre rappers. these dudes are Lil Dap and Melachi tha Nutcracker right? i'm listening to this just wishing Jeru or even Guru would have gotten these shits.
anything else worth checking out or knowing? thanks.

nestle quik

Post by nestle quik »

let it go and enjoy this tour de force of production in its undisturbed beauty

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

i wouldnt have changed a thing about this record...the mc'ing whyll not the best fits the album perfectly...and any other mc on this album wouldnt be good enough

sum of the parts is greater than the whole in this case

an-also

Post by an-also »

Melachi the nut cracker is not a mediocore rapper. IMO

nestle quik

Post by nestle quik »

he is shit,hes more conventional and not good at it

but i whole heartedly agree with clark dent

except for that the beats were everything

Sensasianal

Post by Sensasianal »

the rapping doesn't ruin the beats to the point where you can't enjoy them, quite the contrary.

they'll hit your moms in the head with a metal pipe....
Is this hiphop? Hell no, this is war.
I've been trying to tell you that since How About Some Hardcore.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

From memory (alcohol and weed stained :lol: ) Group Home were Guru's boys and he put them on, Guru produced "So Called Friends" back in 1993...and then I think Guru asked Premo if he could an album for them, he did... production wise it was ill but yeah Lil Dap and Melachi were very average but I do agree that the way they flowed over Premo's beats worked well.

I think they along with Jeru said we don't need Preems and went onto to do their own shit look what there got them, I hope someday that Preems and Jeru will squash whatever beef they have and get back in the studio together.

holeplug2

Post by holeplug2 »

an-also wrote:Melachi the nut cracker is not a mediocore rapper. IMO

this is correct.

"mediocre" would be giving him too much credit.

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

Jaz wrote:From memory (alcohol and weed stained :lol: ) Group Home were Guru's boys and he put them on, Guru produced "So Called Friends" back in 1993...and then I think Guru asked Premo if he could an album for them, he did... production wise it was ill but yeah Lil Dap and Melachi were very average but I do agree that the way they flowed over Premo's beats worked well.

I think they along with Jeru said we don't need Preems and went onto to do their own shit look what there got them, I hope someday that Preems and Jeru will squash whatever beef they have and get back in the studio together.
their post primo shit was still fire... alchemist did something on it if im not mistaken... a few others... not sure... but i remember liking alot of the beats

those guys have a great ear for beats... i wonder how many of the beats from their debut LP were passed on by Guru & Jeru and whoever else

those two should make a career out of picking beats for other rappers... because so many cant do it well on their own

all that said... the album is great... them as rappers? not so great...even so... i wouldnt change a thing...

Grand Central

Post by Grand Central »

an-also wrote:Melachi the nut cracker is not a mediocore rapper. IMO
I always thought Lil Dap was good. Melachi was truly wack, but not unbearable. I remember hearing something about how he jumped on this album to fufill some work contract to his P.O., but was trying to be a pro boxer the whole time. I don't know....album is truly great though.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Melachi the nut cracker is not a mediocore rapper. IMO
True dat
Melachi's shit was honed like diamonds
diamonds like the ones in my Dibur watch and in the chains around the necks of niggaz that floss
peep the jewelz, kid :

http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtop ... nutcracker

nestle quik

Post by nestle quik »

Cryptic One wrote:
Jaz wrote:From memory (alcohol and weed stained :lol: ) Group Home were Guru's boys and he put them on, Guru produced "So Called Friends" back in 1993...and then I think Guru asked Premo if he could an album for them, he did... production wise it was ill but yeah Lil Dap and Melachi were very average but I do agree that the way they flowed over Premo's beats worked well.

their post primo shit was still fire... alchemist did something on it if im not mistaken... a few others... not sure... but i remember liking alot of the beats

those guys have a great ear for beats... i wonder how many of the beats from their debut LP were passed on by Guru & Jeru and whoever else

those two should make a career out of picking beats for other rappers... because so many cant do it well on their own

all that said... the album is great... them as rappers? not so great...even so... i wouldnt change a thing...

INDEED,primo produced on there second album also tho

alchemists beat for dap 'get it' is great to freestyle to

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

The Agallah produced "make it in life" off the second Group Home album was dope and as good as anything they've ever done.

SoulClap

Post by SoulClap »

"A Train X-Press", "Da Real GH", "Stupid Muthafuckers", and "The Legacy" are my favorite joints on the second album.
The game is a oxymoron; we sold free-base

an-also

Post by an-also »

12 0 clock was the shit from their second album.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

ive said this about a thousand times on the internet but...group home's second album is one of the most underrated albums of all time, and the way lil dap improved is just fuckin ridiculous...its more like a lil dap + brainsick mob album, nutcracker aint on the album much cuz he was in jail for most of the recording sessions...fuck what anyone says lil dap is NOT garbage, and his ultra company delivery is one of my favorite flows in hip hop... every now and then he captures the grimy side of life in NYC perfectly...check this lyric out, hopefully my memory serves me correctly...

"in these new york city streets, dead souls I greet/give my mans a pound and then walk away with a frown"

respect to group home, they put out 2 DOPE albums, how many groups in hip hop can say they did that???...heres to hoping that group home can bless us with another album sometime in the near future...peace