grandmaster caz -- the grandest of them all

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Bring Back The Tempo

grandmaster caz -- the grandest of them all

Post by Bring Back The Tempo »

off tuff city records. this is some beautiful rap...i don't know who produced it but there's some funky samples...sounds like it came out in 88-89, right after Paul C. made the drums on every rap track sound hawd to the core. Anyway, Caz spits an updated cold crush flow, retaining the emphatic steez that early 80's bboys are known for and appropriating a lot of Big Daddy Kane's style, which entails big words and a more intricate lyrical style. this is some rap I'll be listening to in a minute.

fresh fly wild n' bold.

p.s.--i'll be yousenditing this later on
Last edited by Bring Back The Tempo on Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

on the real thanks man...i need it in my life ya heard.....

Bring Back The Tempo

Post by Bring Back The Tempo »

h**p://s22.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3OB70HSZW6JH92CZL3IL1T9EKZ

this is for the real rap heads.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

I think Ced Gee produced a lot of this
but Aaron Fuschs thought it sounded too raw so he had it remixed before he'd release it.

Grandmaster Caz-creston ave/you need stitches.12" is my shit.

Sebastian gets busy
1/2 Ghey Encino Man

Post by Sebastian gets busy »

doooope!

which one is track 3?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r9ADfEyh7PQ&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r9ADfEyh7PQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jamkind

Post by Jamkind »

Nice shit, thanks!
Yo are the tracks numbered wrong or is track 1 missin?
If you're smokin' blunts in clean underwear...
...I don't give a monkey's.

Req

Post by Req »

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... 9fs35qa3ng

Review by Alex Henderson

When an artist has an album titled The Grandest of Them All and one of its tracks is titled "I'm a Legend," he is likely to be accused of having a swollen, excessively large ego. But in the case of Grandmaster Caz, saying "I'm a Legend" isn't empty boasting -- it's a statement of fact. One of the pioneers of old school hip-hop, Caz really is a legend. The New Yorker is a veteran of the late-'70s South Bronx/Harlem scene that also gave us Kool DJ Herc, Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, Kurtis Blow, the Cold Crush Brothers, and the Treacherous Three -- in other words, the MCs and DJs who paved the way for everyone from Run D.M.C. to Public Enemy to Ice-T. When The Grandest of Them All came out in 1992, Caz was no longer considered cutting-edge; hip-hoppers identified him with rap's old school era of the late '70s and early '80s. But this album doesn't sound quite as dated as some might assume; tunes like "Star Search," "Ducksauce," and "I'm a Legend" aren't oblivious to early-'90s rap tastes. Nonetheless, Caz doesn't try to hide his old school heritage. The album is full of references to hip-hop's early years, and even though Caz tries to update his rapping style somewhat, he still sounds like a product of rap's old school era. And why shouldn't he? If it wasn't for Caz and his pioneering hip-hop colleagues in Harlem and the South Bronx, many of the rappers who emerged in the 1980s wouldn't have been so successful. The Grandest of Them All doesn't contain the veteran MC's most essential work, but it's a decent, respectable effort that showed Caz still had some tricks up his sleeve in 1992.
F.U. MOOLAH

bizzlestiltskin

Post by bizzlestiltskin »

dope! Thanks a lot man. I really appreciate it.
"I'm platinum, bitch. And I didn't have to sell out." -- Ice Cube

http://www.myspace.com/doledrums
http://www.soundclick.com/lilbizzo

Jamkind

Post by Jamkind »

Sebastian gets busy wrote:doooope!

which one is track 3?
Yeah like I said before it appears track one (The Grandest of Them All) is missing and there are two track 3's, the 'Boogie Man' one is a KMD track which isn't meant to be on the album (admittedly a great track in its own right!).
Is there any chance of getting track one upped or is this the most complete version available?

BTW This has got me fiending to hear KMD's album Mr Hood, I had the cassette years ago. Any chance of someone putting this up on the album thread?
I would be sincerely grateful...
If you're smokin' blunts in clean underwear...
...I don't give a monkey's.