Old School Lyrics: Corny?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Steezel Weezel

Old School Lyrics: Corny?

Post by Steezel Weezel »

Yesterday, a friend and I were listening to The Best Of Kurtis Blow greatest hits compilation that I had just copped at a pawn shop for $1.50. We pulled up in a parking lot to the opening bars of "Christmas Rappin'" with Blow rapping these lyrics:
Kurtis Blow wrote:Don't you give me all that jive
About things you wrote before I was alive
Because this ain't 1823
Ain't even 1970
Now, I'm the guy named Kurtis Blow
And Christmas is one thing I know...
At this point, my friend chuckled, and I turned to him and asked "What?" He commented on the lyrics saying they were corny. I asked "Which ones?" and replayed the first few bars. He stopped after the "Blow/know" rhyme, and stated that he thought it was bad. I personally didn't see anything wrong with it - a basic rhyme! nothing intrinsically bad about that - looked at him like he was out of his mind, said "ok....?" and we got up out of the car.

Now, I know this is a retread of a discussion that's probably been had 8 Million times already, maybe even a number of times on this particular board. But basically I would like to hear some opinions on this topic

Are old school lyrics corny and cheesy in hindsight?
In what context should "old school" lyrics be considered?
Why is it that a 21st-century listener to rap songs made in the 1970s and 80s is increasingly inclined to make this negative criticism?

'Cause I'd much rather hear this, simple AABB rhymes and all, than about 90-95% of rap music made post-2000.

Wisdom? Thoughts?
Last edited by Steezel Weezel on Sun May 08, 2005 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

T-Wrex

Post by T-Wrex »

Is "Basketball" on that album? I love that song..

Kurtis has a dope voice and hits the beats on time.

Yeh, the lyrically lyrical lyrics are rele that advanced, but it's still good music.
I wouldn't go and say it's "corny".
ImageImage
ImageImage

Move Free

Post by Move Free »

i had a friend tell me that too short's "just another day" from 1993 sounded "corny" and "old school," so i can understand someone fronting on kurtis blow.

i don't like it, and it doesn't make sense to a seasoned rap fan, but for new jacks or those who haven't been exposed to rap from the 70s and early 80s, it sounds hella dated and corny.

oracle21

Post by oracle21 »

i mean they may be corny b ut they are on beat and it sounds good. just cause it doesnt ahve the most complex structure as long it makes sense and flows well im down

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Some were corny at the time. But I mean if Kool G. Rap released Road to Riches tomorrow, it would still be the best lyrical LP of the year.
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

Chuck D wrote something in the last Elemental that i think applies here:
"Hip-hop started out of a jazz-ist mentality, meaning it didn't aim to please 100% of the time if you didn't already get it."

Pizon

Post by Pizon »

Yeah, in hindsight those lyrics do seem corny... I mean, if an MC were to drop an album rhyming like that today, he'd be laughed at. But you gotta put it in perspective.

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

T-Wrex, your signature is absolutely fucking amazing.

That's all I've got to say.

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

Well, "Christmas Rappin'" is a fucking corny song in any era...

Old school rappers were live performers first and foremost, that's why their rhymes rely much more on delivery than lyricism. Also, the idea of rhyming over a disco break was still kind of novel and a lot of the typical rhyming couplets had yet to be played out. I don't really think the music should be listened to in a special context, though; if you feel it, you'll feel it. If not, then maybe you need to check out Phoenix Orion or Orko or some shit.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Say hot butter on
say what the popcorn.

Kid B

Post by Kid B »

My boy Ron can't listen to old school rap and by old school I mean 79-85.
I like to bump old Treacherous 3, Kool Moe Dee, Melle Mel and Bambaataa when I go to hipster parties because they love that shit and it gets the ladies shaking.

dudley dawson

Post by dudley dawson »

Kid B wrote:My boy Ron can't listen to old school rap and by old school I mean 79-85.
I like to bump old Treacherous 3, Kool Moe Dee, Melle Mel and Bambaataa when I go to hipster parties because they love that shit and it gets the ladies shaking.
is it a scene like that vh1 commercial and they have a room full of white teenagers jamming out to "the message"
:lol:
tommorow never comes
yesterday never happened
today is a loosely based on a reality thats imagined

Kid B

Post by Kid B »

Willie B wrote:
Kid B wrote:My boy Ron can't listen to old school rap and by old school I mean 79-85.
is it a scene like that vh1 commercial and they have a room full of white teenagers jamming out to "the message"
:lol:
Nah. It's more like an old Benneton ad with cats holding martinis. :lol:

Steezel Weezel

Post by Steezel Weezel »

Kid B wrote:I like to bump old Treacherous 3, Kool Moe Dee, Melle Mel and Bambaataa when I go to hipster parties because they love that shit and it gets the ladies shaking.
"Wow! Is this the new J-5???!"

YoureDefinitelyOnMyDick

Post by YoureDefinitelyOnMyDick »

Haha, I just went to a J5 show last night. Them niggas is hilarious. Chali2na is hilarious. These niggas is mad old and they show is like the Temptations.