Chubb Rock

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Combo7

Chubb Rock

Post by Combo7 »

I was bumping "Return Of The Crooklyn Clan" today and realized that I love evey performance I've heard from him but have never checked for his albums.

So what should I be checking for? What kind of producers has he worked with in the past? Thanks.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

the good is chubb rock when on top of his game and laced with a good beat is one of the best to ever get on a mic

the bad is he rarely rhymed over anything of note and he was inconsistent

because of this all his albums are good but very uneven and VERY VERY looooooong

'the one' is probably the cd id most advise getting because the songs that are good are outstanding...but i believe 'and the winner is' is his most consistent and best album

as for production most of it was done in crew...included was red hot lover tone solo production as well as his earliest trackmasterz work

where chubb is at his best is guesting on others songs

altho most people will disagree and say crooklyn II was his finest moment imo his verse on kick em in the grill is his shioning moment...he spits unbelievable fire on it

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

I love "Chubb Rock, please pay Paul the $2200 that you owe him" off of Politics of The Business.

Oh Chubb, I love you!

Love,

Smoothy

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

clark bent wrote: altho most people will disagree and say crooklyn II was his finest moment imo his verse on kick em in the grill is his shioning moment...he spits unbelievable fire on it
word...he rips that shit.
"My lips will never touch the circumference of a spliff!"
http://www.twitter.com/the_illatino

RIP Josh
Galvatron78 wrote:I wanna put my head up Irina's skirt and say a Das Efx verse.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

The ILLatino wrote:
clark bent wrote: altho most people will disagree and say crooklyn II was his finest moment imo his verse on kick em in the grill is his shioning moment...he spits unbelievable fire on it
word...he rips that shit.
"My lips will never touch the circumference of a spliff!"
Oh yeah, definitely.

'Cuz YOU, are a BLABBERMOUTH!!'

To be honest, i'm not familiar with much of his stuff, just the obvious tracks - 'Treat Em Right' etc

KRS-THUN ATTACK!

Post by KRS-THUN ATTACK! »

How was that 1997 album, overall? the few tracks that Iheard were really good...

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

i think its not good

there are a couple good songs...reputation and games we play are solid...perhaps those are the two you heard...the rest is pretty shitty

waldo ptarmigan

Post by waldo ptarmigan »

I was at the store today and I saw two used copies of "...And the Winner Is" (I think) and one copy had the title in blue writing and the other in red, what's the difference?

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

yeah i'd be interested to know why too. i want to find that album somewhere sometime, it seems like allmusic puts that as his best one.

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

Honestly, I don't think Chubb Rock has ever come totally wack. He has some stellar tracks, a lot of good ones, and some weak tracks, but Chubb always spits enough fire to keep you from snatching the shit off the stereo. That being said, his best album is And the Winner is... (don't know about the different colored writing, though), followed by The Mind and then his first one (which I believe is just called Chubb Rock and Hitman Howie Tee.) His worst-sounding but best-titled album is I Gotta Get Mine Yo! (Only Book of Rhymes but even this has some gems on it, like "Don't Drink the Milk."

waldo ptarmigan

OK I looked into the different colored writing thing a little more, and I was remembering which album I was looking at wrong--the album in question was actually "I gotta get mine, yo". One copy had blue writing and the other had purple (I believe). if the album is so terrible though, I probably won't even bother with researching the difference until I run out of other, better things to buy.

My guess is that one is an import version or something.

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

waldo ptarmigan wrote:OK I looked into the different colored writing thing a little more, and I was remembering which album I was looking at wrong--the album in question was actually "I gotta get mine, yo". One copy had blue writing and the other had purple (I believe). if the album is so terrible though, I probably won't even bother with researching the difference until I run out of other, better things to buy.

They were both new and wrapped? There can sometimes be printing variations from different print runs.

You can get this album used all over, though. $6 is a decent enough price for it.

Mrblackwell

Post by Mrblackwell »

Whatever you do, do NOT loan him any money.

Chubb been getting people for years
5% apartments I got a god complex.

waldo ptarmigan

Reggie wrote:
waldo ptarmigan wrote:OK I looked into the different colored writing thing a little more, and I was remembering which album I was looking at wrong--the album in question was actually "I gotta get mine, yo". One copy had blue writing and the other had purple (I believe). if the album is so terrible though, I probably won't even bother with researching the difference until I run out of other, better things to buy.

They were both new and wrapped? There can sometimes be printing variations from different print runs.

You can get this album used all over, though. $6 is a decent enough price for it.
They were actually both used. I didn't think of the print run thing, that seems more likely than anything else. Next time I'm at that store I'll check for any other differences.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

I like a lot of Chubb's joints but in my honest opinion I think you just need this album...

"1990 Chubb Rocks jumps on the scene with a lean and a pocket full of green" :mrgreen:

The track "The One" is one of my favourites of all time and i.m.o. the best use of 9th Creations "Bubblegum" loop.

ms_horlicks

Post by ms_horlicks »

hey hon

was chubb rock like a doctor or a lawyer? im tryna think if he was the one i read an interview about, a long time ago about him going to college & becomming a scholar , hes like a real smart dude huh?
" cups, d cups, whats in a letter.
i was right about those beautiful beige areolas though.
let me draw on them so it looks like you have two arab big nosed happy faces. "

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

ms_horlicks wrote:hey hon

was chubb rock like a doctor or a lawyer? im tryna think if he was the one i read an interview about, a long time ago about him going to college & becomming a scholar , hes like a real smart dude huh?
I'm not sure baby...maybe...I missed you tonight...and I'm still composing my masterpiece for you and word up I loved the e-card... :wink: