Best producer/rapper ever

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Dragondude R

Best producer/rapper ever

Post by Dragondude R »

Lord Finesse, Large Professor, or Godfather Don?

Rapping wise it's Finesse, Extra P, then Don.

Producing wise, Extra P, Don, then Finesse.

I'd say Lord Finesse overall, but I personally think these cats are good at both.

shadowmaster

hmmm

Post by shadowmaster »

Out of the ones you mentioned I'd have to give it to Large Pro, although Finesse is the more thoroughbred mc, LP has produced way more bangers than Finesse.

However, you should've included Rza, Havoc and Pete Rock. A lot of people like Pete's raps, I know all about him getting help with the writing of his rhymes but he has a nice flavour to his raps.

If Diamond had carried on like Stunts, Blunts I'd give it to him above all else. On his debut he had well put together, fun lyrics which didn't take themselves too serious. Then the beats, untouchable bag of loops on that lp. However, he changed his rhyming style, making it more complex but a bit gangsterish and much less fun than his on his first lp. The last classic verse by him is on Day One in my opinion.

Havoc is nice with the rhymes but after Hell On Earth his rhymes detoriorated a bit. He made some absolute bangers over the years but I would take Large Pro, Rza or Diamond over him in the beats department.

That leaves me with Rza, who in his 93-97 period at the very least, produced heat after heat and dropped some complex rhymes with a unique style. His emceeing is highly unorthodox but in his early Wu/Gravediggaz days he was killing it, at least for me. Quite a few people have dissed Rza's rhyming skills but I've been feeling his style for a long while. You can tell he mostly just spits the shit rapid fire but that's his style. I'm definitely not including the Bobby Digital era, so in that sense Large Pro has had the more consistent raps.

I give it to Rza, or Large Pro.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

q-tip and its not really close

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

I'm goin with Godfather Don, his beats/rhymes have always been off the hook. At one point I would've said Diamond D as well but uhh I was really unimpressed with his Omen project.
Prepare yourself now for the six man wedding!

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

q-tip, rza or havoc definitely. All top calibur producers and all talented rappers. Large pro is real boring when he raps.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Dragondude R

Post by Dragondude R »

lol, I really meant out of those 3, but it's all good.

Some cats have absolutely classic production, but rap wise, while good, can't compare. Diamond D, RZA, Pete Rock=all in my top 5 producers, but rapping wise are further down the list. And I'm the type of cat who wouldn't mind hearing any of them on a guest spot, even if they didn't produce the track.

Other cats are a good balance of both, like Q-Tip, Havoc (who for a while I liked as a better rapper than P), etc.

Of all time, my choice is still Finesse, though.

Glad to see the board is pretty diverse in the answers.

Juice

Post by Juice »

shoutout to dre and dilla

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Out of those three, I'd prefer Lord Finesse. I've never been a Large Pro rap fan, and although his beats are good, to say the least, I don't really wanna hear him on the mic.

I must say I don't really know who Godfather Don is, his name does ring a bell though.

Furthermore, I like Havoc, Q-Tip and RZA more over Extra P as a rapper and producer. Especially RZA is top class material when it comes to producing beats. Q-Tip is amazing too, and so was Havoc. Sad to see Mobb Deep declining ever since Hell on Earth.

nestle quik

Post by nestle quik »

Pharoah Monch gots beatz too

sun ra
Wifey Material

Re: yes

Post by sun ra »

shadowmaster wrote:Out of the ones you mentioned I'd have to give it to Large Pro.

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

i like finese's cds the most. Who does/did the outkast production?

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

organized noize

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

sun ra wrote:organized noize
people always say this, but a little credit reading will do you good here. There first album certainly was an Organized Noize production on pretty much every level. By Atliens Dre and Big Boi were doing about half of the production along with their DJ (Mr. DJ), with Organized Noize doing the other half. By the time Aquemini rolled around, Kast was doing the majority of the production work, with Organized Noize just picking up four beats for them (Organized Noize though did still have a strong presence on this album, mainly because it was their musicians who did a lot of the beatwork on songs that Kast produced). And Kast have done a VAST majority of the production on their albums since (which I think is a big reason why most people don't like Stankonia, LoveBelow/Speakerboxxx, and Idlewild as much as their first three albums).
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

moves

Re: hmmm

Post by moves »

shadowmaster wrote:
If Diamond had carried on like Stunts, Blunts I'd give it to him above all else. On his debut he had well put together, fun lyrics which didn't take themselves too serious. Then the beats, untouchable bag of loops on that lp. However, he changed his rhyming style, making it more complex but a bit gangsterish and much less fun than his on his first lp. The last classic verse by him is on Day One in my opinion.

i need the audio 2 3rd album

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
people always say this, but a little credit reading will do you good here. There first album certainly was an Organized Noize production on pretty much every level. By Atliens Dre and Big Boi were doing about half of the production along with their DJ (Mr. DJ), with Organized Noize doing the other half. By the time Aquemini rolled around, Kast was doing the majority of the production work, with Organized Noize just picking up four beats for them (Organized Noize though did still have a strong presence on this album, mainly because it was their musicians who did a lot of the beatwork on songs that Kast produced). And Kast have done a VAST majority of the production on their albums since (which I think is a big reason why most people don't like Stankonia, LoveBelow/Speakerboxxx, and Idlewild as much as their first three albums).
true, thanks. personally, I'm not a huge fan, I've always had the impression that their albums arent complete - I mean the first 3 (considered classics :roll: )

nevermind, that's probably just me...

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

What about any of the following?

Pete Rock
J-Zone
Madlib
Oh No
Kankick
El-P
Erick Sermon
Parrish Smith
Evidence
Blueprint
Life Rexall
Thai One
Kero One

It's to difficult to chose
Last edited by Jaz on Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

sun ra wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
Organized Noise is a team of producers?

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

Jaz wrote:What about any of the following?

Pete Rock
J-Zone
Madlib
Oh No
Kankick
El-P
Erick Sermon
Parrish Smith
Evidence

word!

overall I go with rza and diamond d.

zeepz

Post by zeepz »

lord finesse. even if his beats arent the best his rhymes make up for it.

large professor kind of has lame raps sometimes.
-zeepz

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Jaz wrote:What about any of the following?

Pete Rock
J-Zone
Madlib
Oh No
Kankick
El-P
Erick Sermon
Parrish Smith
Evidence
Blueprint
Life Rexall
Thai One
Kero One

Yea it is. I believe PMD said he was the most important producer on the EPMD albums, but E dub got the credit for it. No doubt both of them are incredible producers, but I really like the Erick Sermon work on the Redman albums etc.

Evidence just dropped a nice solo LP this year, but he didn't really produce most of it though. His best tracks were IMO with Alchemist on the beats.

Pete Rock and Large Pro I don't really wanna hear rapping over their own tracks, give there rapping time to some quality MC's and the track will be better overall. But I've seen worse rappers then Pete Rock and Large Pro for example.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

I'm a huge fan of Large Pro on the mic. Dope voice and swagger.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Combo7 wrote:I'm a huge fan of Large Pro on the mic. Dope voice and swagger.
word, I'm the same I always check for his guest verses and other releases.

I thought he ripped shit on "The Purist" (Polyrhythm Addicts) "Radar" (Marco Polo) this year.

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

^ on tommy tee's 'overseas with officials' too.

LONDON

Post by LONDON »

rapping wise, to me yeah, its finesse, then extra p, then godfather don

production wise its, to me yeah, godfather don, then finesse, then extra p, thats my tastes you know
________
WEATHER EYE
________
Justin bieber fans
Last edited by LONDON on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shadowmaster

Large Pro's rhyming

Post by shadowmaster »

I've always felt Large Pro's rhymes. Whoever said he was boring, well, he isn't aggresive but he you can tell on some of his best work he puts a lot of thought and emotions into his lyrics and I have a lot of time for that.

On 'The Come Up' with Cormega, I listened to Cormega's raps (usual shit for Mega - not too good but he really does try hard), and when Large Pro comes on he blows Mega off the track.

For the record, there's certain Mega tracks I love like the original version of Testament and a few others. I'm not dissing him at all.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

nestle quik

Re: Large Pro's rhyming

Post by nestle quik »

shadowmaster wrote:
On 'The Come Up' with Cormega, I listened to Cormega's raps (usual shit for Mega - not too good but he really does try hard), and when Large Pro comes on he blows Mega off the track.

mega isn't the best technically but his lyrics are sharp, Large's best asset is his presence

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Lord Finesse easily.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

jazzmatazz23 wrote:
sun ra wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
Organized Noise is a team of producers?
:lol: yeah man, it's four guys. Ray Murray, Rico Wade, Sean Davis, & Sleepy Brown.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Event

Post by Event »

large pro
dr dre

Dragondude R

Post by Dragondude R »

Word to Erick Sermon, top 10 producer and another favorite on the mic.

And I think Outkast's producing name is Earthtone III or something like that, right?