The Boogiemonsters Vs. Da Bush Babees

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Thun

The Boogiemonsters Vs. Da Bush Babees

Post by Thun »

Similarities:

Both had rappers with cartoonish sounding deliveries that still came off dope.

Both released two LPs. Both sophomore albums had a stripped-down Ummah-esque feel, with mixed results.

Both were definitely in the "Native Tongues" ballpark aesthetically.

Both had bugged out surreal type videos.

Both groups pretty much crumbled into obsolescence after members attempted to forge solo careers.

Differences:

Boogiemonsters were Jehovah's witnesses; Bush Babees had that confusing 5%er/Rastafarian/Afrocentrist vibe going on.

Bush Babees had a high-yellow Jamaican reggae singer who was better than both rappers; Boogiemonsters started out with two incredible producers who left the group after the first album.

Da Bush Babees did songs with Q-Tip, Mos Def, and De La Soul. The Boogiemonsters had a lackluster verse from Bahamadia.

Boogiemonsters are named after a folkloric figure that has often been associated with black stereotypes. Da Bush Babees are named after a kind of primate that lives in Madagascar.

Discuss.

arlene
Crazy Alice

Post by arlene »

i actually listen to bush babees like once a month :arrow:

UsualSuspekt

Re: The Boogiemonsters Vs. Da Bush Babees

Post by UsualSuspekt »

Paragraph President wrote:Similarities:

Both had rappers with cartoonish sounding deliveries that still came off dope.

Both released two LPs. Both sophomore albums had a stripped-down Ummah-esque feel, with mixed results.

Both were definitely in the "Native Tongues" ballpark aesthetically.

Both had bugged out surreal type videos.

Both groups pretty much crumbled into obsolescence after members attempted to forge solo careers.

Differences:

Boogiemonsters were Jehovah's witnesses; Bush Babees had that confusing 5%er/Rastafarian/Afrocentrist vibe going on.

Bush Babees had a high-yellow Jamaican reggae singer who was better than both rappers; Boogiemonsters started out with two incredible producers who left the group after the first album.

Da Bush Babees did songs with Q-Tip, Mos Def, and De La Soul. The Boogiemonsters had a lackluster verse from Bahamadia.

Boogiemonsters are named after a folkloric figure that has often been associated with black stereotypes. Da Bush Babees are named after a kind of primate that lives in Madagascar.

Discuss.

Damn, I haven't listened to either one of their sophmore efforts. But Ambushed gets more play than Riders on the Storm in my deck. I was sleeping big time on Boogie Monsters when they 1st came out.

Thun

Post by Thun »

That's odd because Ambushed is completely uneven and mostly forgettable to me. Riders of The Storm is incredible, there's really no album I can accurately compare it to, it's like 3 Feet High and Rising on blotter acid...

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

UsualSuspekt wrote: Damn, I haven't listened to either one of their sophmore efforts. But Ambushed gets more play than Riders on the Storm in my deck. I was sleeping big time on Boogie Monsters when they 1st came out.
"Gravity" is actually an incredible album.

http://rapidshare.com/files/46681844/da ... ravity.rar

I jacked the link from some Polish hip hop board. :larry:

Thun

Post by Thun »

Gravity is pretty good but also very one-note...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

These should be weekly themed threads Thun. It's informative, fun and compelling to dispute instead of just throwing up an album cover and typing discuss.

UsualSuspekt

Post by UsualSuspekt »

Roy Johnson wrote:
UsualSuspekt wrote: Damn, I haven't listened to either one of their sophmore efforts. But Ambushed gets more play than Riders on the Storm in my deck. I was sleeping big time on Boogie Monsters when they 1st came out.

Thanks Roy. I'll cop it and get back :) I loved the first one for sure. I did hear that the Boogie Monsters 2nd effort was an abortion, but you cant always go on what you hear.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Philaflava wrote:These should be weekly themed threads Thun. It's informative, fun and compelling to dispute instead of just throwing up an album cover and typing discuss.
This is true.

Thun

Post by Thun »

UsualSuspekt wrote:
Roy Johnson wrote:

Thanks Roy. I'll cop it and get back :) I loved the first one for sure. I did hear that the Boogie Monsters 2nd effort was an abortion, but you cant always go on what you hear.
The second album wasn't THAT bad, but it's not a hugely enjoyable listen either. The production is so bland an unimaginative. Vex and Mondo rip shit, though. There are links to be found online, google it, but let me know if you can't find it and I'll up it.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Paragraph President wrote:Gravity is pretty good but also very one-note...
I hear you. It's a pretty dope album all the way through, though. I don't even like Mr. Man all that much, but I don't get the urge to hit fast forward whenever I listen to this.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Roy Johnson wrote:
Paragraph President wrote:Gravity is pretty good but also very one-note...
I hear you. It's a pretty dope album all the way through, though. I don't even like Mr. Man all that much, but I don't get the urge to hit fast forward whenever I listen to this.
Am I the only one who thinks the reggae guy was ridiculously ill for that style and much better than both Mr. Man and Lee Majors?

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Paragraph President wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks the reggae guy was ridiculously ill for that style and much better than both Mr. Man and Lee Majors?
The reggae guy (Light?) is great. I like Lee Majors too, although I'm not feeling any of his post-Gravity solo material.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

bush babees.

i love riders of da storm. honeydips in gotham with the original and remixes is one of my favorite 12"es
the rest of the album was great aswell.
but their 2nd album wasnt near as good though it had its moments.

bush babees 1st album was mostly forgettable tbh, but it has 2 incredible standout tracks one of wich is a hiphop classic imo.
and the 2nd album is great fron to back. i cant see the mixed results. the athe album is one of the best of its year. and that was the last great year for albums. 97 was still evry good though.
but if you dont like tracks, gravity, sos, love song, wax, melting plastic, 3 mcs then you have no soul and must not like hiphop.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

There's this amazing Boogiemonsters song that I think was on their second album that I had on my old iPod that crashed. I remember one line was a parody of those "sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you dont' commercials".

Anyway, the song is extremely dope and if anyone knows what I'm talking about, I'd appreciate an upload.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Money Gripp wrote:There's this amazing Boogiemonsters song that I think was on their second album that I had on my old iPod that crashed. I remember one line was a parody of those "sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you dont' commercials".

Anyway, the song is extremely dope and if anyone knows what I'm talking about, I'd appreciate an upload.
:naswtf:

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Money Gripp wrote:There's this amazing Boogiemonsters song that I think was on their second album that I had on my old iPod that crashed. I remember one line was a parody of those "sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you dont' commercials".

I'm dead-ass. :lol:

Maybe it was a b-side. I hope I didn't hallucinate the whole thing because it was pretty dope as I remember.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Money Gripp wrote:

Maybe it was a b-side. I hope I didn't hallucinate the whole thing because it was pretty dope as I remember.

Do you remember ANYTHING else?

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Money Gripp wrote:

I remember this bugged-out voice that kept saying "straaaaaaannnge" and the beat had a very dark vibe.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

I gotta go with Boogiemonsters on this one. I remember hearing Gravity and not getting into it very much. But I'll give it another shot. Its been a minute since I've heard it. Both Boogiemonsters albums were dope. The second had a crazy raw sound to it.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Thun

Post by Thun »

Money Gripp wrote:
Money Gripp wrote:

I remember this bugged-out voice that kept saying "straaaaaaannnge" and the beat had a very dark vibe.
The song is called "Strange" off their first album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6qN5rmT ... re=related

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

:upload: said track?

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

Damn, I haven't listened to either one of their sophmore efforts. But Ambushed gets more play than Riders on the Storm in my deck.

I'm probably alone with this, but 'Ambushed' is a personal favourite of mine - that album bangs...

I remember seeing 'Swing It' on Yo! back in the day and copping the album on the strength of that track, so was stoked that it had 'Remember We' and 'We Run things'...

The Salaam Remi remix of 'Remember We' from the 12" is bonkers...

I really liked Y-Tee, but thought both Mr Man and Lee Majors / Babyface Chaos were okay...

Also, that 'Brooklyn Movements' joint was nice too...

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

I think it's the same song, but the beat was much different. Had a sick guitar sample. Remix possibly? I'm stumped.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

yeah that song is strange. and that "bugged"voice is cameo.

and i agree the remember we remix is even better than the original.

Spartan

Re: ...

Post by Spartan »

Mark 563 wrote: I remember seeing 'Swing It' on Yo! back in the day and copping the album on the strength of that track, so was stoked that it had 'Remember We' and 'We Run things'...
Bought the album on the strength of seeing Swing It on Yo! MTV Raps too. Was kind of gutted that it wasn't the same mix as the one in the video. Still enjoyed the album though.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Money Gripp wrote:I think it's the same song, but the beat was much different. Had a sick guitar sample. Remix possibly? I'm stumped.
There is a remix, and maybe even two... There was a thread here recently where someone upped the 12"... Unless I hallucinated that.

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

Bought the album on the strength of seeing Swing It on Yo! MTV Raps too. Was kind of gutted that it wasn't the same mix as the one in the video. Still enjoyed the album though.

The CD has both mixes on it, doesn't it??? The album version and the Jazziness remix (which was the one from the video)...

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

These should be weekly themed threads Thun. It's informative, fun and compelling to dispute instead of just throwing up an album cover and typing discuss.
Co-sign.

I'm going with Boogiemonsters on here for Riders of the storm.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Here's a Stretch & Bobbito show from 1996 w/ the Bush Babees. It's about 90 minutes altogether, and spread out over two 60 MB audio files.

Part 1
http://www.zshare.net/download/5707669472970d/

Part 2
http://www.zshare.net/download/570926309c5678/