5 mic albums..

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

stype_ones

5 mic albums..

Post by stype_ones »

We all know what the official 5 mic albums are. There were not many. I know The Source came back years later and made a whole bunch of albums 5 mics. I basically agree with some of these ratings, even tho some of them were before the Source's time, and some were just based on how people felt at the time. Now, I know I am being an old school grump when I say that I hated on certain albums getting 5 mics on that 2nd time around rating. In fact, I personally never thought Big's " Life After Death" was 5 mic worthy. He got a big boost by his unfortunate passing. In any event, throughout the years there were albums that were 5 mics, that The Source overlooked. Some of them to TROY heads were included in that 2nd time around, one being Jay's "Reasonable Doubt", but there were many that were not mentioned. I am hammered at the moment, and it may be evident in my grammer, but not in my personal choice in what should have been 5 mics.

I know there were a bunch of album during this time that were really good, but I personally thing this album is 5 mics:

Perfect lyrics, beats, and hip hop style. Just a perfect album.

I guess the point of my thread is name an album that did not get 5 mics that you thought was 5 mic worthy. I'm saying, if you like me, you might have one or maybe 2 or 3, because you standards are that high. If you mention 2 or even 3 quality albums, I might feel you but naming 5 or 10 albums is not going to fly with me because I hold shit to really high standards. Like the difference between 4.5 and 5 is great for me. Not for a lot of mothafuckas on the internet. Most of whom are clueless.

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

I always felt that Organized's debut album and "Stress: The Extinction Agenda" deserved even more than 5 mics. And Redman's 2nd album had all ingredients to fit into the 5 mic category...

Yeah, you're right about Biggie's second one, a top rating is ridiculous...

vincentlopez

Post by vincentlopez »

I still think that Outkast Atliens should have gotten 5 mics. But I can see why, in 1996, they didn't give it to them.
~Get those old Source magazines here~
http://thimk.wordpress.com

step one

Post by step one »

I wasnt a regular Source reader so not sure on what got 5 mics and what didnt but I'd go with Jeru 'Sun Rises In The East'.

I know the general consensus states that the Group Home album is Primo's best non-Gang Starr LP but Jeru's is so much better imo. Theres more variety in the beats, some great song concepts and the lyrics are dope. Its not overly long and theres no real 'fast forward' songs on there.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Co-sign OutKast's ATLiens.

I'd also include UGK's Ridin' Dirty and Devin The Dude's Just Tryin' To Live.

MistaTurk

Post by MistaTurk »

i agree with beatnuts' self titled album. shit is great front to back and one of the best hip hop albums ever.

"a wolf in sheep's clothing" also fits in this category. dres' performance is flawless and lawgne's production is mad underrated.
it's a cold world betta pack your own heat

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Source_(magazine)

^ Here's yer 5 mic albums including all the revisions.

As for others, I'd have Southernplayalisic... over ATLiens, personally.

I suspect calls for anything post-1999 would draw howls of disgust from the luddites of T.R.O.Y (i mean that in the nicest way possible) so i daren't mention anything after then. Here's some from '82 - '99 :

Wild Style soundtrack, Born To Mack, Goin' Off, Paul's Boutique, Step In The Arena, Livin' Like Hustlers, O.G, Efil4zaggin, Wolf In Sheep's Clothing, All Souled Out EP, Don't Sweat The Technique, The Predator, It's On 187 'Um EP, Buhloone Mind State, Til Death Do Us Part, Return Of The Boom-Bap, Creepin' On Ah Come-Up EP, Resurrection, Fear Itself, The War Report, Stone Crazy, Chopper City In The Ghetto, and Operation Doomsday.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Source_(magazine)

^ Here's yer 5 mic albums including all the revisions.

I suspect calls for anything post-1999 would draw howls of disgust from the luddites of T.R.O.Y (i mean that in the nicest way possible) so i daren't mention anything after then. Here's some from '82 - '99 :

Wild Style soundtrack, Born To Mack, Goin' Off, Paul's Boutique, Step In The Arena, Livin' Like Hustlers, O.G, Efil4zaggin, Wolf In Sheep's Clothing, All Souled Out EP, Don't Sweat The Technique, The Predator, It's On 187 'Um EP, Buhloone Mind State, Til Death Do Us Part, Return Of The Boom-Bap, Creepin' On Ah Come-Up EP, Resurrection, Fear Itself, The War Report, Stone Crazy, Chopper City In The Ghetto, and Operation Doomsday.
Nice list, IDAL. I would definitely agree with Born To Mack, Buhloone Mind State, The War Report, and Operation: Doomsday.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

I don't know or remember if I had the issue where they gave 5 mic status retroactively to albums they didn't originally award the 5 mics but at the time, I thought The Infamous and Cuban Linx should definitely have got the 5 mics, I don't think anyone would disagree on that. They both got 4.5 I think.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

See, like I said, I have a very high standard when it comes to claiming something is 5 mics. IDAL's list is full of solid albums ranging from 3.5 to 4.5, but I don't see any album on that list that is 5 mics to me. I mean it is all personal opinion, but I base it off the original 5 mic albums (up to and including Illmatic) and based on that criteria, none of those match up pound for pound with say a Low End Theory or an Illmatic. Again, in my opinion.

The internet made people (not you, but in general) a bit jaded I think. For example, 3.5 mics= Dope. Last time I checked, someone saying the album is dope is a good thing. Now you say 3.5 mics and people look at you like you are shitting on the album or something.

step one

Post by step one »

Off the top of the head, 10 personal 5 mic-ers:
Nation Of Millions
Original Gangster
Death Certificate
Sun Rises In The East
Illmatic
Midnight Marauders
Cuban Linx
Supreme Clientele
36 Chambers
The Chronic
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

everyone's list is on point. Did Tribe's Midnight Marauder get 5?

drayzee

Post by drayzee »

I think GZA's Liquid Swords album is a 5 mic album too...

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

These are the OG 5 mic albums. I am not going to include anything after Life After Death because the magazine lost all credibility right around then. Like I said, I do not even agree with LAD getting 5 mics, I think it happened because he did not get it the first time around, and because he passed.

People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm -- A Tribe Called Quest
AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted -- Ice Cube
One for All -- Brand Nubian
Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em -- Eric B. & Rakim
Edutainment -- Boogie Down Productions
De La Soul Is Dead -- De La Soul
The Low End Theory -- A Tribe Called Quest
Illmatic -- Nas
Life After Death -- The Notorious B.I.G.

EarForGoodMusic

Post by EarForGoodMusic »

common resurrection?

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

Street Level is close to 5 mics. More like 4.5 though imo.

Everyone is on point so far. Organized Konfusion- Stress: The Extinction Agenda definitley deserved 5 mics. Shit, we all know Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em, Midnight Marauders, etc. deserved 5 mics. But The Source has always been skewed towards commercial sounding music, so they don't acknowledge real hip hop. It certainly was better back in the day, but nonetheless it was partial towards the mainstream crowd.

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

pradadon wrote: De La Soul Is Dead -- De La Soul
as much as I love this album, it's too full of filler to be a 5 Mics. just my opinion/

Thun

Post by Thun »

I Drive A Lexus wrote: As for others, I'd have Southernplayalisic... over ATLiens, personally.

Out of morbid curiosity, what post-1999 albums do you think fit the bill?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:
i could agree to this on some days
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Verge

Post by Verge »

I'm still salty that Outkast aquemini got the cover and the 5 mics over
Gangstarr's Moment Of Truth that month in 98.
Never bought an issue of the Source after that.

Mad Human

Post by Mad Human »

Guys i`m really surprise how can you keep that away from the top,
one of the best albums in 90`s which got many times 5 mics the debut
NAS - ILLMATIC amazing lyrics/flow/beats whole album is on point. Sure i can give 5 mics to Jeru "Sun Rises in the East" and Fat Joe "Represent"
For sure there are many more but those 3 deserve hardly 5 mics.
Last edited by Mad Human on Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YOUTUBE RARE INDIES - http://www.youtube.com/user/MadHuman09

Eyedea

Post by Eyedea »

^^ flow joe is a song ...

Mad Human

Post by Mad Human »

hehe ok then "Represent" with the main track "Flow Joe" :lol:
YOUTUBE RARE INDIES - http://www.youtube.com/user/MadHuman09

K-Funk

Post by K-Funk »

^ youngstas

Mr. J Selectah

Post by Mr. J Selectah »

Ok, besides all mid-90's thing...Dutchmassive-Junk planet, that's way more than 5 mics!...oh and i totally agree with the guy who gave BDP's Edutainment album 5 mics, that's one of best albums ever...
"You should let your man speak on your behalf, because when i let my blade slice, you'll just be half!"

Verge

Post by Verge »

Oh and I agree that Beatnuts Street Level should have been 5 mics.
The Besides how great of an album it was, it also really sent waves through
the east coast Latino community. To me, it was the first successful album that
really put Latinos in hip hop on the map. In NY and NJ, at least.

I agree that ORganized's Extinction Agenda should have also been 5 mics.
And Common's Resurrection.

How many mics did these albums get? I don't remember.

And no way should Life After Death even gotten 4 mics, IMO.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

good call on The Beatnuts LP, that's an absolute classic to me

I can't remember what the following were rated, but they were 5 mics albums to me.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

I know Organized got 4 mics. Gotta dig out the old mags to see the others.

Verge

Post by Verge »

3 and a half mics for Resurrection?!
But Life and Death, yeah, word, that's a five mic album.
Gtfo

Could have at least gave Resurrection 4 mics, at least.