1996-Grav-Down To Earth

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Jaz
Ease Up

1996-Grav-Down To Earth

Post by Jaz »

Props to Etalon

Code: Select all

http://sharebee.com/4ef99027
1. Intro
2. What
3. World Domination
4. Snakebite
5. Sick Thoughts
6. City to City
7. Thought It Was On
8. Line for Line
9. Interlude
10. Keep Movin'
11. Sex
12. One Puff
13. Down to Earth
14. Battle
15. C'mon

Album is dope and contains early Kanye West beats, plus beats from No I.D. and Dug Infinite

DredScott

Post by DredScott »

this is one of my fav. under the radar albums. grav has a very distinct voice and flow and carries the lp well with help from the chicago triumvirate (no i.d., dug infinite and 'ye) on the boards.

the title track is my jam on here with a sick beat from kanye. city to city and sick thoughts are also ill.

i advise anyone who hasn't heard this to check it.

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

Great album. Apparently, Kanye has a verse on "Line For Line", but I can't even recognize him.

Dragondude R

Post by Dragondude R »

I love this album
I Smell Like Un Kasa wrote:Great album. Apparently, Kanye has a verse on "Line For Line", but I can't even recognize him.
his verse was nice, sounded like a bearable Bis impression

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Gonna listen

ZiekeFons

Post by ZiekeFons »

haha downloaded it yesterday..

that c'mon track! :bow:

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

I liked it

Thought It Was On was my favorite track on it

rSINx86

Post by rSINx86 »

the kayne production on this is solid with a majority of 1996.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Dysfunkshunal used the same sample that was used for "Sex".
Not sure what it is, though.
And yeah, this album had tight production.
I have the promo clean version of this album, with the sticker cover.

And what happened, Jaz?
Just a month or two ago, you were posting dope random albums like this on
the reg. I always looked forward to seeing that.
:owens:

Hobus Maguire

Post by Hobus Maguire »

This is a dope album... I think I got it from Etalon a while back.

...Not sure but this Gravity (http://www.myspace.com/gravhiphop) is the same guy right? According to his blog (http://gravitywisewords.blogspot.com), he's got 70+ free songs on his soundclick (http://www.soundclick.com/gravhiphop), although when I went there I could only get paid download links.

He's got a couple of free tracks here though: http://www.warlab.com if you click on the music section there... I just posted one in the Canibus thread (Gravity, Warbux, Canibus & DZK - Wu-Flix).

paul_smith

Post by paul_smith »

dope ass album.One Puff is my shit

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Hobus Maguire wrote:This is a dope album... I think I got it from Etalon a while back.

...Not sure but this Gravity (http://www.myspace.com/gravhiphop) is the same guy right? According to his blog (http://gravitywisewords.blogspot.com), he's got 70+ free songs on his soundclick (http://www.soundclick.com/gravhiphop), although when I went there I could only get paid download links.

He's got a couple of free tracks here though: http://www.warlab.com if you click on the music section there... I just posted one in the Canibus thread (Gravity, Warbux, Canibus & DZK - Wu-Flix).
No, this ain't Grav:

:lol:

Here he is:

He was a decent Chicago MC from the mid-90s. I always liked "The Battle", but there's not much else that I enjoy. The Kanye West production is obviously stellar, particularly on "One Puff".
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Verge wrote:Dysfunkshunal used the same sample that was used for "Sex".
Not sure what it is, though.
And yeah, this album had tight production.
I have the promo clean version of this album, with the sticker cover.

And what happened, Jaz?
Just a month or two ago, you were posting dope random albums like this on
the reg. I always looked forward to seeing that.
:owens:
honestly Verge, life happened man, I went away to the South Island for a week and a half and was concentrating on family and not the :phila: and I haven't been able to concentrate on my blog, it's a long and boring story and I won't go into detail, but basically that's it.

Peace

kevin beacham

Post by kevin beacham »

here's his myspace music page: http://www.myspace.com/dunzillagrav

He has one newer track up there. In his top friends his regular page is there and you can see what he's been up to in life (voice-overs is one of them).

He moved to Chicago from Harlem in '93. He had some connection with the guys who ran The Flypaper (local chi zine). At the time, Me and my partner Black Man Zeke were doing some work with them and they arranged for Zeke and Grav to be a group before he even moved there. When he got there the two of them got together and formed Indigenous Theory. They recorded about 5 demos and did a couple shows (including one at the NMS '94).

Originally Grav did some solo stuff in Harlem. He had production from Grapevine of Trends of Culture (who produced the originally demo version of "Come'n"). Then they re-did "Come'n" as a Indigenous song then it got remixed for that album.

The Indigenous thing fell apart right about the time of the NMS showcase. Then Grav went solo.

I remember going to New York in '95 while Grav was recording this album and I stayed at Grav's moms house in Harlem and Kanye was there too. He played me his demo because he wanted me to give him a featuring in my Caught In The Middle Magazine. The demo was really good and I wish I got my copy like I was supposed to!!!! Kanye was telling me that he was going to be a super star and I was like "oh word"....ha.

I had a chance to sit in for two of the studio sessions. It was ill because it's Grav, Kanye, DJ Nu-mark (because he worked for Correct records and was a project mgr or something like that for the Grav record), and Liz Mercado (famous engineer). I was there when they recorded the track "What". Originally the hook had me and Grav's crew (Dunzillas) shouting "What" for the hook, but we must have been wack because when the album dropped it was gone...ha. However, one of my "ideas" stayed on the album, on the title track they were looking for something to scratch and I was like, "Yo this new crew Royal Fam got this joint and they say 'hold it down like Gravity'" and they use that for the hook....

Also, back then Grav used to be a regular host on the Sunday rap show on WNUR.

Lil history for ya...

Oh yeah, you can hear a Indigenous Theory track on the Black Man Zeke page I set up, it's called "Universal Styles".

kevin beacham

Post by kevin beacham »

Also, for those who didn't catch it yet; Kanye is the second verse on Line For Line and has a dope verse. The third MC is really fresh! I wish I had more of his stuff. I don't know his MC name, they all called him "Gator".

Grav was also down with another Harlem crew called Black Plague who were ill! We went to their home studio and checked out a bunch of demos and then had a freestyle session....

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

kevin beacham wrote:Also, for those who didn't catch it yet; Kanye is the second verse on Line For Line and has a dope verse....
That was Kanye??? That verse was dope for real, I would've never guessed. and your right, the 3rd mc was real fresh as well, in fact, everyone came off on that track, a posse album with Kanye production would've been epic.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

kevin beacham wrote:here's his myspace music page: http://www.myspace.com/dunzillagrav

He has one newer track up there. In his top friends his regular page is there and you can see what he's been up to in life (voice-overs is one of them).

He moved to Chicago from Harlem in '93. He had some connection with the guys who ran The Flypaper (local chi zine). At the time, Me and my partner Black Man Zeke were doing some work with them and they arranged for Zeke and Grav to be a group before he even moved there. When he got there the two of them got together and formed Indigenous Theory. They recorded about 5 demos and did a couple shows (including one at the NMS '94).

Originally Grav did some solo stuff in Harlem. He had production from Grapevine of Trends of Culture (who produced the originally demo version of "Come'n"). Then they re-did "Come'n" as a Indigenous song then it got remixed for that album.

The Indigenous thing fell apart right about the time of the NMS showcase. Then Grav went solo.

I remember going to New York in '95 while Grav was recording this album and I stayed at Grav's moms house in Harlem and Kanye was there too. He played me his demo because he wanted me to give him a featuring in my Caught In The Middle Magazine. The demo was really good and I wish I got my copy like I was supposed to!!!! Kanye was telling me that he was going to be a super star and I was like "oh word"....ha.

I had a chance to sit in for two of the studio sessions. It was ill because it's Grav, Kanye, DJ Nu-mark (because he worked for Correct records and was a project mgr or something like that for the Grav record), and Liz Mercado (famous engineer). I was there when they recorded the track "What". Originally the hook had me and Grav's crew (Dunzillas) shouting "What" for the hook, but we must have been wack because when the album dropped it was gone...ha. However, one of my "ideas" stayed on the album, on the title track they were looking for something to scratch and I was like, "Yo this new crew Royal Fam got this joint and they say 'hold it down like Gravity'" and they use that for the hook....

Lil history for ya...

Oh yeah, you can hear a Indigenous Theory track on the Black Man Zeke page I set up, it's called "Universal Styles".
I love hearing about your history KB, thanks for sharing man.

weekdaywarrior

Post by weekdaywarrior »

kevin beacham wrote:here's his myspace music page: http://www.myspace.com/dunzillagrav

Lil history for ya...

great story kev!

downloading this now.. goodlookin out jaz

weekdaywarrior

Post by weekdaywarrior »

OH shit!! I remember this "City to city" shit from off WNYU or KCR.. daamn Fashion!

Hobus Maguire

Post by Hobus Maguire »

Roy Johnson wrote:No, this ain't Grav:

:lol:

Here he is:

He was a decent Chicago MC from the mid-90s. I always liked "The Battle", but there's not much else that I enjoy. The Kanye West production is obviously stellar, particularly on "One Puff".
Aw shit... I didn't even realise the that other Gravity was white... :lol:
For some reason I thought he was from Chicago even though it says NY on the myspace page...duh