Philaflava.com :: • View topic - The 1990's Reggae-Hip Hop Exchange




It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:46 pm
Posts: 697
hey everybody,

i'm fairly new to the site, and was wondering what i could contribute that hasn't already been done in this forum b4.
since i am a HUGE fan of 90's reggae-hiphop (by this i mean reggae artists over hiphop beats), i thought maybe i could start a thread for this type of stuff. is this sumthin ppl would be interested in?


[i know schenectadyfan made a similar thread, but his was more hiphop with reggae influence......this thread is going to be the other way around.....reggae with hiphop influence]


here are some trax i uploaded to start off the thread.
if any of you have trax u can add, please go ahead and do so......let's try and make this into sumthin huge!

Super Cat - Ghetto Red Hot (Hip Hop RMX) [CD rip]
25 ghetto red hot hip hop rmx.mp3 - 5.36MB
[Super Cat is my favorite reggae artist, and this is one of my top 5 favorite reggae-hiphop trax of all time]

Super Cat feat. Method Man - Scalp Dem (WuTang RMX) [vinyl rip - if anybody has a CD rip of this, please upload it)
10 scalp dem rmx ft method man.mp3 - 5.55MB
[another bangin classic from the Cat, featuring a dope verse from Meth....another favorite of mine]

Capleton ft Method Man - Wings Of The Morning (Dynamik Duo RMX) [CD rip]
capleton ft method man - wings of the morning lil jon pauls mix.mp3 - 5.30MB
[Meth drops another hot verse on this remix produced by the Dynamik Duo....i believe Lil Jon was part of this team. this goes down as another of my top 5 favorite reggae-hiphop trax of all time]

Terror Fabulous - Woman Say So RMX
terror fabulous - woman say so rmx zhane mr dj beat.mp3 - 7.80MB
[Terror Fabulous over the Zhane "Hey Mr DJ" beat....just had this lying around lol]

Born Jamericans - Yardcore [CD rip]
03. yardcore.mp3 - 6.29MB
[one of my fav reggae-hiphop groups.....i'll post some more of their stuff later]

Mad Lion - Take It Easy [CD rip]
14. take it easy.mp3 - 6.28MB
[this artist from the BDP crew made some waves with 'Shoot To Kill', then followed it up with this banger. if you drop this track in a party, you'll still get a good reaction to this day. another one of my top 5 reggae-hiphop trax of all time]

Daddy Freddy - Haul & Pull (Bobby Konders RMX)
daddy freddy - haul pull bobby konders rmx.mp3 - 11.18MB
[dope remix from this UK veteran]

Daddy Freddy - Wa Do Dem (Nigel Parker RMX) [CD rip]
daddy freddy - wa do dem rmx by nigel parker.mp3 - 3.87MB
[interesting remix most ppl haven't heard.......it starts off with the same sample that the Canadian Grassroots/Elemental used for the track 'Drama']

hope this helped a few ppl out.....i'll try and keep uploading more when i have the time. hopefully there's some other ppl in this forum who love reggae-hiphop as much as i do....

If you don't have any trax to add, post your Top 5 (or 10) fav reggae-hiphop trax of all time


Here are my Top 10 fav reggae-hiphop trax (in no particular order):
Super Cat - Ghetto Red Hot RMX
Capleton ft Method Man - Wings Of The Morning RMX
Mad Lion - Take It Easy
Cutty Ranks - Living Condition
Super Cat ft Biggie - Dolly My Baby
Super Cat ft Method Man - Scalp Dem RMX
Mega Banton - Sound Boy Killing RMX
Lil Vicious - The Glock RMX
Ini Kamoze - Here Comes The Hotstepper RMX
Louie Rankin ft Red Hot Lover Tone - Typewriter RMX



***TRAX I'M SEARCHING FOR: (if any of you could help me find these trax, i'd appreciate it!)***
Dirtsman - Hot This Year (Hip Hop RMX)
Buju Banton - Stamina Daddy (Bobby Konders RMX) [Jaz mentioned that he had this one....if u could post it, that'd be great]
Bounty Killer - Mr. Tear & Bore MASSIVE B RMX (over Juvenile 'Ha' beat)
any remixes from Bobby Konders/Massive B
Vicious ft Doug E Fresh - Freaks INSTRUMENTAL


Last edited by djfilthyrich on Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:52 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:02 pm 
Offline
King of The DPB'rs
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:37 am
Posts: 80825
really nice way to start things off. thanks.

bounty killer had some nice joints with raekwon, jeru and fugees.

_________________
T.R.O.Y.
Steady Bloggin'
Take It Personal


@philaflava
IG@philaflava


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:46 pm
Posts: 697
thanks Phila :)

yeah, i have the bounty killer remixes on vinyl. i'll be ripping them, and adding them to this thread. i think the only one that i'm missing of his is the "No Argument" remix over the KRS- MCs Act Like They Dont Know/TLC -Creep/WuTang - Ice Cream beats


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:46 pm
Posts: 697
Jaz posted this in another thread....thought i'd add it here, since it's such a good compilation.

i personally love the Burro Banton "Boom Wa Dis" rmx on here....Burro's best song in my opinion...

Various Artists - NYC Badmen (1993)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DEIJTRT2

1. Intro - MC Jabba
2. You A Bad Boy - Jr. Demus
3. Ghetto Red Hot - Supercat
4. Mattress Jockey - Shaggy
5. No Move - Louie Rankin
6. Yardie - Buju Banton
7. Boom Wa Dis - Burro Banton
8. Bop Scuchie - Reverend Baddo
9. Dem A Fight - Red Foxx
10. Gun Pon Cock - Nardo Ranks
11. Me No Fool - Capt. Remo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:46 pm
Posts: 697
here's some more for the PF fam....

Mega Banton - Sound Boy Killing RMX & INST
http://www.mediafire.com/?dzzygdzmnzl
[this dope remix uses the Black Moon - I Got Cha Opin RMX beat. Love this track]

Johnny Osbourne - Budy Bye (Kenny Dope RMX) [Vinyl rip]
http://www.zshare.net/audio/11574484df623365/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:27 pm 
Offline
Awesome Vatican Assassin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:55 pm
Posts: 55115
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems
good shit, i love that johny osbourne blend so i'm expecting similar caliber from the other stuff i haven't heard

_________________
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:57 pm 
Offline
Awesome Vatican Assassin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:55 pm
Posts: 55115
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems
cutty ranks - just to get a limb.mp3 - 2.78MB you might enjoy this as well

an mp3 version of the johny osbourne track http://www.zshare.net/audio/12269836014ca550/

_________________
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1312
Location: Comin' Thru Ya Fucking Block
any chance you guys have Shawnie Ranx - Shawnie Ranx (1995) ?

_________________
K-Funk & Deez presents - Gangstafied vol. 1 - Mixed by Grigo <--- check it out
K-Funk presents - Hiss-Story vol. 1 (mixed by DJ Nikoless) <--- check it out


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:37 pm
Posts: 521
Location: sum-her-zet
djfilthyrich wrote:

If you don't have any trax to add, post your Top 5 (or 10) fav reggae-hiphop trax of all time




Jamal-Ski - Ragga youth (DJ Smash Jazz mix)
Bush Babees - Pon De Attack
Mad Lion - Real Ting
Bounty Killer ft. Busta Rhymes - Change Like The Weather
Buju Banton - Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:46 pm
Posts: 697
krayzee funksta wrote:
any chance you guys have Shawnie Ranx - Shawnie Ranx (1995) ?


sorry.....don't have it. never even heard of him.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:46 pm
Posts: 697
drizzle wrote:
cutty ranks - just to get a limb.mp3 - 2.78MB you might enjoy this as well

an mp3 version of the johny osbourne track http://www.zshare.net/audio/12269836014ca550/


thanks drizzle. i had forgot to convert that Johnny Osbourne track from a wav file to mp3


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 5:56 pm
Posts: 2327
Location: boobs
Damn. I used to have a handful of great Rob One reggae/hip hop mixes that would have been perfect for this thread. Too bad I accidentally formatted both my hard drives.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:03 am 
Offline
Ease Up

Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 10:33 pm
Posts: 21579
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
One LP I used to have but stupidly parted with. was called Rush Dem and I have never seen it since.

Great post Filthy Rich, I will try my hardest to track down the Stamina Daddy (Remix) for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:46 pm
Posts: 697
Jaz wrote:
One LP I used to have but stupidly parted with. was called Rush Dem and I have never seen it since.

Great post Filthy Rich, I will try my hardest to track down the Stamina Daddy (Remix) for you.



yeah Jaz, that Rush Dem comp had a few good trax on it.....like the Red Fox, Beenie Man, and Capleton rmxs.

i'd be interested to see wat your top 5 (or 10) reggae-hiphop mixes of all time are...

thanks for looking for the buju - stamina daddy RMX track for me homie......much appreciated! what beat was it on? or was it an original beat?

glad u like the post....i'm gonna be adding more trax as i have the time.
i just hope we can get others to participate and make this into a huge thread


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:46 pm
Posts: 697
vaporized wrote:
djfilthyrich wrote:

If you don't have any trax to add, post your Top 5 (or 10) fav reggae-hiphop trax of all time




Jamal-Ski - Ragga youth (DJ Smash Jazz mix)
Bush Babees - Pon De Attack
Mad Lion - Real Ting
Bounty Killer ft. Busta Rhymes - Change Like The Weather
Buju Banton - Champion



here's a Jamal-Ski album i found.....it has that Ragga Youth RMX track you were looking for Vaporized

Jamalski - Roughneck Reality (1993) [CD RIP]
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CEEV33S4

1. Medallion Masters Human Beat
2. Texas Rumpus
3. Roughneck Intro
4. African Border [Skeffington Mix]
5. Akbar's Groove
6. Jump, Spread Out
7. Hangin' Tree
8. Poom Poom
9. Night Rider
10. Jah Jah Vibes
11. Ragga Youth - Jamal-Ski,
12. Holy Sacrament
13. Recognize
14. Put It On [Pure Braggadap] - Jamal-Ski, Mr. Live, Rocker-T
15. Terrible Man
16. Ya Dig
17. Piece of Reality
18. Last Word
19. Ragga Youth [DJ Smash Jazz Mix]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1312
Location: Comin' Thru Ya Fucking Block
@Filthy Rich : here's it is http://www.amazon.com/Shawnie-Ranx/dp/B ... 681&sr=8-1 , always was curious how it is!i think he did some shit with KRS One and there's where i first heard of him :roll:

_________________
K-Funk & Deez presents - Gangstafied vol. 1 - Mixed by Grigo <--- check it out
K-Funk presents - Hiss-Story vol. 1 (mixed by DJ Nikoless) <--- check it out


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:37 pm
Posts: 521
Location: sum-her-zet
thanks djfilthyrich but I must have misunderstood you. I already have those 5 tracks I listed, plus that Jamalski album... that list is my 'top 5' reggae hip-hop tracks, not a wants list...thanks anyway. - in fact anyone who doesn't have Ruffneck Reality should check that link it's a dope album...peace


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:06 pm
Posts: 174
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Image

That was a good hip hop/ragga album..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:46 pm
Posts: 697
here's another classic....

Louie Rankin ft Red Hot Lover Tone - Typewriter RMX [CD Rip]
louie rankin ft red hot lover tone-typewriter trackmasters rmx.mp3 - 6.11MB
[another one of my all time favorites]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:46 pm
Posts: 697
here's another one for you.....

Doug E Fresh ft Beenie Man "Hands In The Air" [vinyl rip]
http://www.zshare.net/audio/1390226672773aca/
[beenie comes nice over doug e fresh's beatbox]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:38 am 
Offline
Ease Up

Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 10:33 pm
Posts: 21579
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
I'm glad this post is getting some good feedback,djfilthyrich you asked what would be my top 5...that's a tough one, but one that is at the very top is Jnr Demus-You A Bad Boy, I wish he had done an whole album over Hip Hop beats with his ill gruff voice.

and Shaggy DESTROYS Mattress Jockey on NYC Badmen.

also thanks for the Haul and Pull remix, I was sad when my 12" got lifted many moons ago....that remix is insane.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:46 pm
Posts: 697
Jaz wrote:
I'm glad this post is getting some good feedback,djfilthyrich you asked what would be my top 5...that's a tough one, but one that is at the very top is Jnr Demus-You A Bad Boy, I wish he had done an whole album over Hip Hop beats with his ill gruff voice.

and Shaggy DESTROYS Mattress Jockey on NYC Badmen.

also thanks for the Haul and Pull remix, I was sad when my 12" got lifted many moons ago....that remix is insane.



yeah....i became a fan of Jr. Demus as soon as i heard him on "The Good, The Bad, The Ugly & The Crazy" album with supercat, nicodemus, and jr. cat.
i searched everywhere for his music, but with no luck.

i'm glad i could help u out with that Haul & Pull RMX......so dope

quick question....what beat was that Buju 'Stamina Daddy" RMX over? was it over an already used hip hop instrumental, or an original hiphop beat?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:21 pm 
Offline
King of The DPB'rs
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:37 am
Posts: 80825
Is that the Mr. Live that put shit out with Tony Bones?

djfilthyrich wrote:


Jamalski - Roughneck Reality (1993) [CD RIP]
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CEEV33S4

1. Medallion Masters Human Beat
2. Texas Rumpus
3. Roughneck Intro
4. African Border [Skeffington Mix]
5. Akbar's Groove
6. Jump, Spread Out
7. Hangin' Tree
8. Poom Poom
9. Night Rider
10. Jah Jah Vibes
11. Ragga Youth - Jamal-Ski,
12. Holy Sacrament
13. Recognize
14. Put It On [Pure Braggadap] - Jamal-Ski, Mr. Live, Rocker-T
15. Terrible Man
16. Ya Dig
17. Piece of Reality
18. Last Word
19. Ragga Youth [DJ Smash Jazz Mix]

_________________
T.R.O.Y.
Steady Bloggin'
Take It Personal


@philaflava
IG@philaflava


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:26 pm
Posts: 9408
Location: UK
I love this sort of stuff. Jazzie B of Soul II Soul used to have a show on Kiss FM(London) where he'd play all the Massive B type stuff. Unfortunately he rarely gave out the names of the songs!
Im in the process of ripping loads of vinyl so should be able to post some bits soon.

Ive got the Panhead and Spragga Benz joints so i'll hook you up soon.

One track I really want is Frisco Kid 'Media' which is over Busta's 'Turn It Up' inst (the Knightrider one)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:26 pm
Posts: 9408
Location: UK
djfilthyrich wrote:
thanks Phila :)

yeah, i have the bounty killer remixes on vinyl. i'll be ripping them, and adding them to this thread. i think the only one that i'm missing of his is the "No Argument" remix over the KRS- MCs Act Like They Dont Know/TLC -Creep/WuTang - Ice Cream beats


i got this one too. i'll try and sort it out in the next few days


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:17 pm
Posts: 1320
Location: Between Melbourne & London...
Great thread... Big Dancehall fan, so much like the previous thread, this is my shit...

That said, while I rate Hip Hop / Reggae crossover shit, I'm also all about straight-up dancehall - been bumping mad amounts of Beenie Man and Bounty Killa this week...

Enjoying the posts, keep 'em coming...

_________________
http://runtheline.blogspot.com/
http://wordtothemother.tumblr.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:49 am 
Offline
Ease Up

Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 10:33 pm
Posts: 21579
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
djfilthyrich wrote:
Jaz wrote:
I'm glad this post is getting some good feedback,djfilthyrich you asked what would be my top 5...that's a tough one, but one that is at the very top is Jnr Demus-You A Bad Boy, I wish he had done an whole album over Hip Hop beats with his ill gruff voice.

and Shaggy DESTROYS Mattress Jockey on NYC Badmen.

also thanks for the Haul and Pull remix, I was sad when my 12" got lifted many moons ago....that remix is insane.



yeah....i became a fan of Jr. Demus as soon as i heard him on "The Good, The Bad, The Ugly & The Crazy" album with supercat, nicodemus, and jr. cat.
i searched everywhere for his music, but with no luck.

i'm glad i could help u out with that Haul & Pull RMX......so dope

quick question....what beat was that Buju 'Stamina Daddy" RMX over? was it over an already used hip hop instrumental, or an original hiphop beat?


It's been years since I heard it, pretty sure it was just a fat break and bassline and was an original Bobby Konders production.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:24 am
Posts: 583
Would it be bad of me to ask for Supercat's My Girl Josephine?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:32 pm
Posts: 4644
Location: new england
i used to have this disc of dancehall artists over early 2000 crunk beats. i wasn't a fan of most crunk, but something about jamaicans on those beats was $$$. anybody have anything like this?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:46 pm
Posts: 697
Philaflava wrote:
Is that the Mr. Live that put shit out with Tony Bones?

djfilthyrich wrote:


Jamalski - Roughneck Reality (1993) [CD RIP]
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CEEV33S4

1. Medallion Masters Human Beat
2. Texas Rumpus
3. Roughneck Intro
4. African Border [Skeffington Mix]
5. Akbar's Groove
6. Jump, Spread Out
7. Hangin' Tree
8. Poom Poom
9. Night Rider
10. Jah Jah Vibes
11. Ragga Youth - Jamal-Ski,
12. Holy Sacrament
13. Recognize
14. Put It On [Pure Braggadap] - Jamal-Ski, Mr. Live, Rocker-T
15. Terrible Man
16. Ya Dig
17. Piece of Reality
18. Last Word
19. Ragga Youth [DJ Smash Jazz Mix]



sorry Phila.....i have no clue....


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.