Interest in reissues?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Interest in reissues?

Post by Philaflava »

I think a lot of folks on here like myself really appreciate those Traffic reissues. Last year there were tons of great stuff.

I'm talking to a person who owns a company about doing selective reissues and selective material in small amounts. Nothing like those One Leg Up bullshit records.

The question is are you INTERESTED in this kind of stuff? Would you buy it if the product was good and the price was right?

If a reissue of Da King & I were pressed in both vinyl and cd format would you buy it? Just trying to get an idea from some of the folks on here.

Also any 90's album you'd like to see get reissued?

somebody cool

Post by somebody cool »

reissues are great because then the price of the original comes down as well

im more interested in these comps of lost tracks/unreleased joints from the 90s. edo g and onyx dropped this year, and is better than pretty much everything that came out this year

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Don't think I would double dip on Contemporary Jeep Music unless it had the dope remixes as bonus cuts.

No idea if it's been re-issued since, but Troubleneck Brothers would be a top priority.

thebigk

Post by thebigk »

somebody cool wrote:im more interested in these comps of lost tracks/unreleased joints from the 90s. edo g and onyx dropped this year, and is better than pretty much everything that came out this year
word.. those comps are dope. more are needed.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Da King & I was just an example of the type of music we were thinking about. Think of that era if anything.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Yea,interested.As I stated in the past,I love how they did up the Godfather Don "Lost Sessions" and the Buckwild double cd.
I'm more interested in unreleased shit.I think the One Leg Up joints are blessings.I'm sure you mean they're bullshit because of the price and quantity.If it wasn't for the leakage,I would not have these joints,and that iss bullshit.
But if someone was to release shit like that Latee demo tape,at reasonable prices,I'd cop.
Looking forward to seeing what becomes of this,but as far as re-issues,if they did them up proper,it'd depend on what it was,and I might cop one here or there.
So,yea,if it's some real hard to find,obscure,dope shit,I'd cop the re-issue.

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

I really dig what Traffic have been doing - re-issuing classics, but with bonus demo tracks, radio spots and the remixes from the 12"s. Plus, they tend to come correct with the artwork - the photo books and liner notes, etc.

I'm a vinyl collector, so in most cases have the original pressings, but if I can grab a well thought out and nicely packaged / presented re-issue that has stuff that wasn't on the OG, then I will.

I guess, if you're thinking of re-issuing an old album, in order for me to be interested in picking up a copy you'd need to offer something that wasn't on the OG press, be it extra tracks or booklet. Also, if the original press was single vinyl, the repress needs to be at least double vinyl, so the pressing is louder.

So, a vinyl re-issue of Da King & I's 'Contemporary Jeep Music' would ideally have the original album split onto double wax, with a third vinyl featuring the 'Flip Da Scrip' (Toot Da Horn Mix), the few remixes of 'Tears' and 'Kingpin' with Pudgee from the 'Tears' 12" and maybe some instrumentals. If the sleeve could be gatefold, with some extra liner notes (on a Rakim Told Me flex) and some press photos of Izzy & Majesty, that'd be nice too.

If the repress was simply the same as the OG (ie, on single wax with no extras), I'd pass as I have the original release.

As for other albums I'd be interested - any and all albums that were foolishly pressed on single wax (Redman's 'Dare Is A Darkside' firmly at the top of that list).

Verge

Post by Verge »

Word..^^^what he said

godmc

Post by godmc »

i would be more interested in reissued 12" and/or compilations of various tracks from 12". reissuing a classic album is nice. but a solid collection of obscurities at a reasonable price? people would jump on that.

HomeSkillet

Post by HomeSkillet »

I don't look for comps of unreleased stuff very often, I probably should

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

If the packaging was something and/or there are bonuses, then I would cop.

Two Kings in a Cypher - From Pyramids to Projects

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

somebody cool wrote:reissues are great because then the price of the original comes down as well
Exactly the reason, in general, that I am completely against reissues. I imagine others with rather extensive collections feel the same way. I hate seeing shit that I own lose value.

That being said, I am completely for compilations of unreleased shit like the Buckwild and Godfather Don albums in the past year. I also appreciate cd reissues of stuff that was previously a vinyl only release. I love having a CDQ Siah & Yeshua for the whip.

I would love if someone acquired rights to press up entire unreleased albums. I would run over my grandmother for a cdq copy of the Crustified Dibbs album.

somebody cool

Post by somebody cool »

oh yeah the freddie foxxx "crazy like a foxx" ditc version was a blessing. so glad that came out

and to tommy bunz, i like having the original, but paying 50 for nine, ras kass, pharoah monch, etc albums is something i dont wanna do

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

I love the reissues and I would love to have the World Renown album on CD.

plug4

Post by plug4 »

I would like to see the Raw Factor by Omniscence released along with a bonus disc featuring the remixes and possibly tracks from The Funky One Liner EP.

step one

Post by step one »

a few years back I'd have been interested in double vinyl copies of stuff that was previously only single vinyl. With Serato thats not as much of an issue nowadays.
I'd be more inclined to cop reissued 12''s over albums. Theres been a few good Japanese ones recently but the import prices are a bitch.

sen

Post by sen »

a real version of Trigga Tha Gambler's "Life is a 50/50 Gamble" would be sweet...

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

somebody cool wrote:im more interested in these comps of lost tracks/unreleased joints from the 90s.
Same here.

Lyrical Gymnastics

Post by Lyrical Gymnastics »

I want a Cella Dwellas - Realms 'N Reality reissue..same thing with Smoothe's Once Upon A Time In America..also:

Akinyele - Vagina Diner
Real Live - The Turnaround: A Long Awaited Drama

and a couple of more I can't really remember at the moment.

willybuck

Post by willybuck »

Lyrical Gymnastics wrote:Akinyele - Vagina Diner
That's what came to mind immediately.

For unreleased albums, I'd love Young Zee's Musical Meltdown.

admiral

Post by admiral »

I'd be interested if I didn't already have a copy of something or if there were some new bonus tracks or artwork or something, which is why I keep buying all those G Rap re-releases

Probably not possible, but a proper release of The LP would benefit mankind

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Lyrical Gymnastics wrote:I want a Cella Dwellas - Realms 'N Reality reissue..same thing with Smoothe's Once Upon A Time In America..also:
You can buy both of these off amazon for under $10.

godmc

Post by godmc »

yeah, amazon has a ton of shit listed for dirt cheap. i copped e.c. illa's first full length for about six bucks there. i have to admit that i only found out about him recently, but being able to find such a great album for so cheap was nice.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Godfather Don - Hazardous
Lakim Shabazz - Pure Righteousness
YZ - Sons Of The Father

And a bunch of others already mentioned. I'll buy pretty much anything.

DredScott

Post by DredScott »

sen wrote:a real version of Trigga Tha Gambler's "Life is a 50/50 Gamble" would be sweet...
oh indeed...

i know that smoothe said last year in his interview with phila that he was planning on putting that out but i have no faith in him actually doing. phila you should get at him again and ask him what's and if it's possible to team up and hook that up cause i'd buy 2 copies just off GP.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

not a bad idea. i just gotta talk to this guy first and make sure the $ is there for all parties involved.

bmore21225

Post by bmore21225 »

I think this is a good idea as a lot of CD's I did not pick up when I was younger it was all about the vinyl for me. Now I am trying to buy a lot of rare CD's but really dont want to pay the crazy prices that are being asked for them. I would like to get the Nonce,Bums,Trends,Akinyele,Da King&I,Nine stuff like that on CD. I think there is a want for these from people all over the world. This is a good topic right here. I am interested seeing what other people have to say.

Verge

Post by Verge »

admiral wrote:Probably not possible, but a proper release of The LP would benefit mankind
I would definitely cough up a 20 for this.

Philaflava wrote:I think a lot of folks on here like myself really appreciate those Traffic reissues. Last year there were tons of great stuff.
I was just wondering if anybody knew if any of the artists got paid off the traffic re-issues

J-Serious

Post by J-Serious »

I like reissues if they have extra ish on them. I would also like to see some 12"s reissued that i just cant afford.

vincentlopez

Post by vincentlopez »

I'd definitely like some reissues. Starting with most of the albums from 1988 that should have been re-mastered and re-released this year. My Jungle Brothers "Straight Out the Jungle" CD was mastered horribly. Most of the CD's released up until '89/'90 need to be re-mastered anyway.
~Get those old Source magazines here~
http://thimk.wordpress.com