Unlimited budget for an arcade room. What goes in?

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Unlimited budget for an arcade room. What goes in?

Post by Smooth Lou »

This is purely hypothetical. Say you won the lotto or a wealthy uncle leaves you some rupees to burn.

Please break down for us your ultimate gaming/arcade room.

Or do you rich fuckers already have dope game rooms and would like to discuss those? If so, please invite me over. I will bring mom's quesadillas and some Negra Modelos. It will be great.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Besides all the consoles, I'm definitely getting some Golden Tee, Pac-Man, Ninja Gaiden or maybe one of those arcades that has like 200 titles.

When I was younger my grandfather used to own a vending business so my garage had like 4 arcade machines and every 3 months we'd switch 'em out for the newer titles. The good days.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

for sure i know i would have time crisis, street fighter 2, marvel vs. capcom 2, jurassic park with moving seat, that boxing game with the two handles you punch with, prolly would just head up to dave and busters and pick shit out.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

An AES, Sega's deluxe Ferrari F350 with three screens, an empty cabinet with a Jamma board, an empty cabinet with CPS2, an empty cabinet with Naomi, Atari's Middle Earth pinball table (not lord of the rings related, we had one when I was growing up), a four player Konami cabinet for Simpsons/X-Men/TMNT, eh and maybe a dedicated Date East cabinet just for old school flavor (Heavy Barrel here I come!).

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

StormShadow wrote:an empty cabinet with a Jamma board, an empty cabinet with CPS2, an empty cabinet with Naomi
Why empty cabinets? Please explain.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Truth. wrote:for sure i know i would have time crisis, street fighter 2, marvel vs. capcom 2, jurassic park with moving seat, that boxing game with the two handles you punch with, prolly would just head up to dave and busters and pick shit out.
I loved that boxing game. When i used to play that at the arcade fucking thing would move 3 or 4 feet.

The aformentioned boxing game
Spy Hunter
Ferrari 355 with the 3 screens (fun fact- they sold more to home users then arcades)
Virtural Racer with moving cabinet
Time Crisis 3
4 large screen tv's each set up with an Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii
4 High end gaming computers with another one set up as a dedicated car sim set up
SF2
Double Dragon
Goldan Tee
one of those table versions of Ms Pacman
Air Hockey
Pool Table
Darts
Ping Pong
Wack a Mole
One of the basketball games with the moving hoop
Skee Ball lane
and two pinball games.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Smooth Lou wrote:
StormShadow wrote:an empty cabinet with a Jamma board, an empty cabinet with CPS2, an empty cabinet with Naomi
Because with Jamma, CPS2, and Naomi I could play pretty much all the stuff I love by switching out the games.

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

StormShadow wrote:
Smooth Lou wrote:
Because with Jamma, CPS2, and Naomi I could play pretty much all the stuff I love by switching out the games.
Are they on cartridges or discs or what? I am intrigued.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

ThaJim2 wrote:I loved that boxing game. When i used to play that at the arcade fucking thing would move 3 or 4 feet.
ya that shit was a work out. couldn't even move my arms after i was done.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Smooth Lou wrote:
StormShadow wrote:
Smooth Lou wrote:
You never heard of Jamma and all those? Here's SF2 on Jamma as you played it in the arcade: Image

From wikipedia: "The Japanese Amusement Machine Manufacturers' Association (JAMMA) is a trade association based in Japan; it also the namesake of a trade show hosted in Japan; additionally, JAMMA is a wiring standard for arcade machines.

The JAMMA wiring standard was introduced in the mid-1980s. Arcade cabinets wired to the JAMMA standard can be made to play all games built to this standard, simply by installing the circuit boards for the new game. By the 1990s, most new arcade games were JAMMA standard. As the majority of arcade games were designed in Japan at this time, JAMMA became the de facto world standard. Many games exist which almost conform to the standard but extend it in some way, for example by adding support for extra buttons. These games are sometimes referred to as JAMMA+.

Before the JAMMA standard, most arcade PCBs, wiring harnesses, and power supplies were custom built. When an old game became unprofitable, many arcade operators would rewire the cabinet and update the artwork in order to put different games in the cabinets. Reusing old cabinets made a lot of sense, and it was realized that the cabinets were a different market from the games themselves. The JAMMA standard allowed plug-and-play cabinets to be created (reducing the cost to arcade operators) where an unprofitable game could be replaced with another game by a simple swap of the game PCB, and an update of the artwork.

The JAMMA standard includes signals for two eight-direction joysticks, two player start buttons and six control buttons (three per player), with monaural sound.

A popular project for some is to connect a JAMMA cabinet to a PC instead of the dedicated arcade PCB. Using a JAMMA interface wired to the keyboard, video and mouse ports of the PC, it is possible to run an arcade emulator such as MAME (Multi Arcade Machine Emulator). This allows the JAMMA cabinet to become whichever arcade game is chosen on power up of the PC."

Seriously probably every game loved for a seven year period in the 80s-90's was on a jamma cabinet.

CPS2 was a propietary capcom equivalent that only played their games. Think it started with Super Street Fighter 2 and went right on through marvel super heroes vs street fighter and tons of other stuff.

Naomi was basically a dreamcast. It was sega's big arcade system for years in the late 90's.

Also, look up super gun, it is possible to play all these at home and not even use a big bulky cabinet (I don't have a super gun, but I hear nothing but good things assuming you've got the money).http://www.massystems.com/

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

StormShadow wrote:
Smooth Lou wrote:
StormShadow wrote:
Smooth Lou wrote:
You never heard of Jamma and all those? Here's SF2 on Jamma as you played it in the arcade: Image

From wikipedia: "The Japanese Amusement Machine Manufacturers' Association (JAMMA) is a trade association based in Japan; it also the namesake of a trade show hosted in Japan; additionally, JAMMA is a wiring standard for arcade machines.

The JAMMA wiring standard was introduced in the mid-1980s. Arcade cabinets wired to the JAMMA standard can be made to play all games built to this standard, simply by installing the circuit boards for the new game. By the 1990s, most new arcade games were JAMMA standard. As the majority of arcade games were designed in Japan at this time, JAMMA became the de facto world standard. Many games exist which almost conform to the standard but extend it in some way, for example by adding support for extra buttons. These games are sometimes referred to as JAMMA+.

Before the JAMMA standard, most arcade PCBs, wiring harnesses, and power supplies were custom built. When an old game became unprofitable, many arcade operators would rewire the cabinet and update the artwork in order to put different games in the cabinets. Reusing old cabinets made a lot of sense, and it was realized that the cabinets were a different market from the games themselves. The JAMMA standard allowed plug-and-play cabinets to be created (reducing the cost to arcade operators) where an unprofitable game could be replaced with another game by a simple swap of the game PCB, and an update of the artwork.

The JAMMA standard includes signals for two eight-direction joysticks, two player start buttons and six control buttons (three per player), with monaural sound.

A popular project for some is to connect a JAMMA cabinet to a PC instead of the dedicated arcade PCB. Using a JAMMA interface wired to the keyboard, video and mouse ports of the PC, it is possible to run an arcade emulator such as MAME (Multi Arcade Machine Emulator). This allows the JAMMA cabinet to become whichever arcade game is chosen on power up of the PC."

Seriously probably every game loved for a seven year period in the 80s-90's was on a jamma cabinet.

CPS2 was a propietary capcom equivalent that only played their games. Think it started with Super Street Fighter 2 and went right on through marvel super heroes vs street fighter and tons of other stuff.

Naomi was basically a dreamcast. It was sega's big arcade system for years in the late 90's.

Also, look up super gun, it is possible to play all these at home and not even use a big bulky cabinet (I don't have a super gun, but I hear nothing but good things assuming you've got the money).http://www.massystems.com/
beat me to it....i will posess one on one of these days.

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

no one said virtual on

T-Wrex

Post by T-Wrex »

stripper pole
big TV

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

Vlad Analogue wrote:no one said virtual on
for realz.....i knew a bitch that was crazy in that game...til' she met me and got her ass nuked.

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

T-Wrex wrote:stripper pole
big TV
Nicccce. You have to add an arcade game to fit into the standards heretofore set forth by the gaming commission though. Maybe that weird Japanese game where you have to stick your finger in people's butts?

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

aliens cabinet with the 2 huge pulse guns that shake like shit.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Galvatron78 wrote:
Vlad Analogue wrote:no one said virtual on
for realz.....i knew a bitch that was crazy in that game...til' she met me and got her ass nuked.
Yeah, when I was posting about Naomi up there I was like dang, a nice big VOOT machine would be ill

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

Post by bringinoutbangerz »

-Carash (I have yet to see this anywhere since my pre-teens)
-X-Men 6 player beat-em up with the three screens (I know you rocked Dazzler, homo)
-Ms Pacman (so I can learn to do it with my eyes closed like that weird guy from MTV)
-Aliens vs. Predator
-Street Fighter Alpha (so I can successfully enter the Dan code)
-Operation Wolf
-Run and Gun two screener (with updated rosters)
-Final Fight (Heyaaaah!)
-Avengers (I know you rocked Vision, homo)
-5-linked Ridge Racers (fuck Daytona), mainly to hear it scream "RIIIIIIIDGE RACER!!!!" all day.
-of course a Neo Geo with Fatal Fury II, King of Fighters '94, Samurai Showdown, and Metal Slug.
-That Bassmaster fishing jawn with the rod

Indivisual

Post by Indivisual »

nba jam
mvc2
virtual on
simpsons arcade game
ninja turtles arcade game
xmen 6 player
four xbox 360s and 4 projectors
a wii
IMHO, there is no lyricist now or before that can match the lyrical dexterity of Qwel.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

for Neo geo fans you can buy a cabinet (they are on ebay all of the damn time) and put the MVS boards in there (they hold 6 to 8 games each)...i want one but me being the mufucka i am i want a Candy Cabinet not just a regular one.

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

Galvatron78 wrote:for Neo geo fans you can buy a cabinet (they are on ebay all of the damn time) and put the MVS boards in there (they hold 6 to 8 games each)...i want one but me being the mufucka i am i want a Candy Cabinet not just a regular one.
FUCK YEAH. This pizza place that I used to live near had one; god knows how many dollars I spent trying to get through King of Fighters.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

Smooth Lou wrote:
Galvatron78 wrote:for Neo geo fans you can buy a cabinet (they are on ebay all of the damn time) and put the MVS boards in there (they hold 6 to 8 games each)...i want one but me being the mufucka i am i want a Candy Cabinet not just a regular one.
FUCK YEAH. This pizza place that I used to live near had one; god knows how many dollars I spent trying to get through King of Fighters.
kinfolk before i die bet yo' ass i will have one of these. With my new job the shit is damn near becoming a reality, this is one of the first things i get when i return from Japan from work.

just...lavish.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

Going back to what Storm Shadow said a Supergun will be your best bet due to the fact it's basically plug n' play ad plus you can connect your other systems to it like it ain't shit. The price on them things have gone down drastically. i remember being a wee lad reading EGM wishing i could afford a 1500 dollar Supergun now them things are about 400....well worth it if you ask me. i might just invest in one at the end of the year for a birthday present for yours truly.

ric

Post by ric »

in my parents house they made like a movie watching room. its practically perfect to gaming experiences aswell. i miss it a little.

all sound is BOSE run through a channeler thing with different modes of equalization (stadium, projector, real life, concert, etc)
2 subwoofers in left/right front
3 speakers on top of big custom made tv/electronics holder/shelf thing
2 double decked speakers on both left and right front sides hanging down from ceiling
double decked speakers hanging in middle of left and right sides
3 or 4 double decked speakers hanging down in the back

= best sound ever

and the tv is like this super hd tv that doesnt make video games look like shit

the room itself has couch in the back and there are movable chairs elsewhere. the room is very minimalistic so you can bring in anything you want and theres lots of space. the room is very clean all the time.

reevolution

Post by reevolution »

Ghosts N Goblins
Lethal Enforcers
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Tekken
Tekken 2
Mortal Kombat II
Mortal Kombat III
Street Fighter II
NBA Jam
Neo-Geo w/ Samurai Showdown
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Fighter 2
Top Skater
House of the Dead

There's about 500 more I'm sure.

Kalistoga

Post by Kalistoga »

I got a jamma board but its collecting dust. The only games i had for it were SFII: Champion Edition and Wrestlefest.

If I were to have an arcade room, i'd pretty much just fill it up with...

Fighting games (SF, KOF, Tekken etc)
Side Scrolling Beat em Ups (Double Dragon, Captain Commando, X-Men etc.)
Pinball Machines

that's about it...

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

best believe I would order one of everything on the list at www.thepinballcompany.com
so many other things too, but I mean, not enough time

reevolution

Post by reevolution »

Andvil wrote:best believe I would order one of everything on the list at www.thepinballcompany.com
so many other things too, but I mean, not enough time
why you gotta go showin me sites like that?