Sega Saturn appreciation

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

madtapes

Sega Saturn appreciation

Post by madtapes »

Lets all take some time to recognize the greatest of the 32 bit consoles (in my opinion the greatest of all consoles). It's unusual architecture made it a complete beast to program for but when a developer took the time to get it right the results where amazing. Not only was it a great console it was sexy as hell too:
ImageImage

Not to mention the fact that the second generation controllers where amongst the best ever designed:

That shit is so good that they've released official versions for the PC and PS2.

Some personal favorite games from the system:

NiGhts Into Dreams - The game comes of a little faggy at first but once you give it a chance you realize what a great game it is. Worth noting is the fact that it was recently ported to the PS2 in Japan.

Dragon Force - A strategy RPG with a great storyline, solid play mechanics and a character system that rewards multiple play-throughs more than any other game I've played.

Radiant Silvergun - One of the crown jewels of the schmup genre. Japan only release, but well worth tracking down.

X-Men vs. Street Fighter - Capcom got so good at programing for the Saturn that they got to the point that they needed extra RAM to take full advantage of the dual processors. So they dropped a 4mb expansion and started releasing amazing arcade ports of fighting games. X-Men vs Street Fighter was amongst the best to utilize the ram cart technology.

So anyone else got love for the Saturn?

ChewbaccaUncircumcised

Post by ChewbaccaUncircumcised »

dragon force is one of my all time top 10 favorite games, any genre, any platform.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

I think the cover art for most Saturn games goes pretty underappreciated as well. The cases has a slick color scheme, and the front of the booklets all look like someone took their time with them as how to best adapt them to the Saturn style.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

Nobody cares about these old systems.....where's the HDMI port? The Bluetooth compatibility? The one decent game every quarter average? :roll: :roll:

Seriously Sega Saturn is one of the best to ever do it, while Playstation damn near shat out it's insides to make a bare minimum arcade conversion Saturn did it with ease and when the 4 Meg cart came along shit got even better. Saturn dropped classic after classic in Japan of course, when it died in the US it just got better overseas. My top 5 games for this system are

1. X-men vs. Street Fighter- this could have been the savior of the system much like SFII was for the SNES....they were too cheap to bring the 4 Meg cart to the US....and have you played the PS version of this game? :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy:

2. Silhouette Mirage - this is some of the most coked out fucked up game i have ever played in my life and i loved every minute of it

3. Firepro Wrestling Six Man Scramble - This was the wrestling game to buy....props to Cereberus from Gamefan puttin' me up on game to and purchase it

4.Guardian Heroes - I'll play this over any faggoty new gen shit anyday of the week

5. Vampire Savior - I'll put it to you like this, PS2 came out with a Darkstalkers collection and that wasnt better than the Saturn version.....the Saturn version had a shitload of options and an english option.....what's fuckin' with that?

Bottom line Japan knows real games and systems....some of the best didnt last a minute in the US but murdered Japan for years and years. One day i will get my hand on a white Saturn and a Skeleton model.....Madtapes I swear when i get the money we will restart Gamefan homie lol.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

and yes the saturn controller was/is the best controller ever made.

madtapes

Post by madtapes »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:I think the cover art for most Saturn games goes pretty underappreciated as well. The cases has a slick color scheme, and the front of the booklets all look like someone took their time with them as how to best adapt them to the Saturn style.
The cases had slick art... but the case design was probably the worst ever conceived. Those front covers would crack if you just looked at them funny. There was a website a while ago that was dedicated to providing art for slim dvd covers for Saturn games.
http://www.saurianunderground.com/galle ... _itemId=25
Obviously not as good as having the originals, but if your just burning them off to play in a modded system or an emulator.. its a good look.

Galvatron78 wrote:Nobody cares about these old systems.....where's the HDMI port? The Bluetooth compatibility? The one decent game every quarter average? :roll: :roll:

Seriously Sega Saturn is one of the best to ever do it, while Playstation damn near shat out it's insides to make a bare minimum arcade conversion Saturn did it with ease and when the 4 Meg cart came along shit got even better. Saturn dropped classic after classic in Japan of course, when it died in the US it just got better overseas. My top 5 games for this system are

1. X-men vs. Street Fighter- this could have been the savior of the system much like SFII was for the SNES....they were too cheap to bring the 4 Meg cart to the US....and have you played the PS version of this game? :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy:

2. Silhouette Mirage - this is some of the most coked out fucked up game i have ever played in my life and i loved every minute of it

3. Firepro Wrestling Six Man Scramble - This was the wrestling game to buy....props to Cereberus from Gamefan puttin' me up on game to and purchase it

4.Guardian Heroes - I'll play this over any faggoty new gen shit anyday of the week

5. Vampire Savior - I'll put it to you like this, PS2 came out with a Darkstalkers collection and that wasnt better than the Saturn version.....the Saturn version had a shitload of options and an english option.....what's fuckin' with that?

Bottom line Japan knows real games and systems....some of the best didnt last a minute in the US but murdered Japan for years and years. One day i will get my hand on a white Saturn and a Skeleton model.....Madtapes I swear when i get the money we will restart Gamefan homie lol.
I want a Skeleton model so bad. "This is cool". God damned right it is.

Confession: I still haven't played Fire Pro: Six Man Scramble.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Galvatron78 wrote: 5. Vampire Savior - I'll put it to you like this, PS2 came out with a Darkstalkers collection and that wasnt better than the Saturn version.....the Saturn version had a shitload of options and an english option.....what's fuckin' with that?
The world needs another Darkstalkers beat em up.

battlecatmeowstab212

Just out of curiosity, what do you Saturn aficionados think of the Dramcast?

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:Just out of curiosity, what do you Saturn aficionados think of the Dramcast?
another example on how the U.S. dropped the ball when it came to good gaming.....all i wanted was a Spike Out home conversion.

Liger Woods

Post by Liger Woods »

word i fucks with sega cd too.

madtapes

Post by madtapes »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:Just out of curiosity, what do you Saturn aficionados think of the Dreamcast?

I think it was a great piece of hardware, with a few great titles that never got the push it deserved.

rayza

Post by rayza »

madtapes wrote:
battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:Just out of curiosity, what do you Saturn aficionados think of the Dreamcast?

I think it was a great piece of hardware, with a few great titles that never got the push it deserved.
dreamcast is the hands down best console ever. it started the whole internet gaming "fad". im sad it didnt do better. still play mine every once in awhile.

daytona usa and quake were the shit online. soul calibur was the best fighting game out for a good 5 years. code veronica was the best resident evil until 4 came out. the 2k series started on the dreamcast. crazy taxi, marvel v capcom 2. my god i could go on.

never really got into the saturn. had the genesis and the sega cd. wanted the 32X just for nba jam but could never save up the scrilla for it and then it got discontinued.

heard rumors about a dreamcast 2 being developed but i dont see the point of sega making another gaming system. microsoft took their spot and the only way they could get back in the hardware business is making a wii ripoff.

battlecatmeowstab212

rayza wrote: wanted the 32X just for nba jam but could never save up the scrilla for it and then it got discontinued.
Trust me, you weren't missing anything. It was, like every other game for the system, full of bugs. Not including the "Tournament Editions," the Sega-CD version was the best port.

Sega-CD's my favorite system of all time. Maybe it's the nostalgia of throwing down $500.00 of my first communion money for it, but I had some great times that I'll save for another thread.

I remember getting the Saturn the day "Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3" dropped. I also snatched Virtua Fighter 2 and Nights. 4th grade was a hell of a time.

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:
rayza wrote: wanted the 32X just for nba jam but could never save up the scrilla for it and then it got discontinued.
Trust me, you weren't missing anything. It was, like every other game for the system, full of bugs. Not including the "Tournament Editions," the Sega-CD version was the best port.

Sega-CD's my favorite system of all time. Maybe it's the nostalgia of throwing down $500.00 of my first communion money for it, but I had some great times that I'll save for another thread.

I remember getting the Saturn the day "Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3" dropped. I also snatched Virtua Fighter 2 and Nights. 4th grade was a hell of a time.
i remember "renting" the Saturn and getting VF2 and playing the ever loving hell out of it. i didn't own one until many years later, but i got it off of ebay , and got a grip of good games with it. I still want to get Mr.Bones.

The Saturn and Dreamcast are probably my favorite systems of all time.

I just wish I could get the Genesis emulator to work on my Dreamcast. :sad:

rhickey

Post by rhickey »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:Just out of curiosity, what do you Saturn aficionados think of the Dramcast?
the dc had the best run of any console ever in it's heyday. from like two months after it launched it would have at least three solid releases every month until the end. i loved that thing. phantasy star online, chu chu rocket, sonic, skies of arcadia, power stone, soul caliber, jet set radio, shenmue, crazy taxi... i could go on. and the online was awesome. [/quote]

reevolution

Post by reevolution »

Yup.

Been meaning to pick another one up lately.

Trying to get my hands on an unopened Genesis and Sega CD too.

Wish I didn't sell all my old stuff back in the day when I 'upgraded' to the next-gen (at the time) systems.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

virtual cop was my shit.

madtapes

Post by madtapes »

rayza wrote:heard rumors about a dreamcast 2 being developed but i dont see the point of sega making another gaming system. microsoft took their spot and the only way they could get back in the hardware business is making a wii ripoff.
I would imagine that if Sega ever got back into the console buisness they'd probably focus more on arcade style games. Would make sense since there is a bit of a void right now... and Sega is still making good coin in the arcade buisness.

Above-Beyond

Post by Above-Beyond »

rhickey wrote:
the dc had the best run of any console ever in it's heyday. from like two months after it launched it would have at least three solid releases every month until the end. i loved that thing. phantasy star online, chu chu rocket, sonic, skies of arcadia, power stone, soul caliber, jet set radio, shenmue, crazy taxi... i could go on. and the online was awesome.
Thats probably the best game I've ever played. 70 million dollars to make the first one, top reviews, its just one of the best experiences I've had out of a game. You can't compare it to other games(overall) since the style of the game of extremely different to others.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Yall are sleeping on the Panzer Dragoon games, especially Saga which was disgustingly good.

Also,
Guardian Heroes (one of the best beat-em-ups ever)
Saturn Bomberman
Virtual On
Shining Force 3

And for the record, Super Nintendo was the best system of all time.