Braid (XBLA) - get this game already!

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

gonna read that article too, thanks

also, hasn't been mentioned yet but I love that in order to read the alternate text in the epilogue you have to be hidden in the background and turned away from it. Another great touch.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

getting the last star gave me chills, was seriously sitting there like :ohsh:

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

i didn't actually do it because i didn't want to spend the time figuring out all the puzzles, but i may just try doing it fast with some sort of walkthrough. I wish that I didn't know about the secret ending beforehand and did it on my own accord. I'm sure I would have been blown away.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

trying to get the stars without 1) knowing they exist or 2) knowing how to get them, would take WAY too much time I think, and as much as I love the game, I wasn't about to do that. Initially I just checked to see which worlds had the stars, then went from there. 3 of them I had to use a walkthrough, the rest I didn't. I felt good enough getting all the puzzle pieces on my own, it didn't bother me to get help with the stars.

edit: I think there was one puzzle piece that I had to get help with

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

also, seriously, FUCK the full game speed run. I destroyed all the puzzles as fast as possible with the exception of maybe 3 that took 2 or 3 attempts, and still finished 11 minutes over. World 5 completely fucks you in the ass, and the entire end sequence counts on your overall time, including the epilogue. That's fucking stupid.

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

according to jonathan blow it's possible to do it in 35 minutes, so they are actually giving you like a 10 minute cushion

i'm not even gonna attempt it

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

oh it's definitely possible....there are people on the leaderboard with runs under 30 minutes. It just seems really unfair. There have to be tricks with puzzles where you can get the pieces and reverse time for the entire stage and get another piece, etc etc, in order to shave off extra time, but fuck if I'm going to try and do that on my own. I'll watch a video.

edit: 42:09, what a pain in the ass

the guy in the #1 spot has a time of 29:59, which seriously just seems like cheating, I have to see a video of a run that fast

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2007/08/ ... deo-games/

Pretty long interview with Jonathan Blow, good read.

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

Really great interview, thanks for posting. I especially like the last two bits. He echoes alot of my ideas about gaming and other things, but is able to say them in a lot better way. I really hope Braid starts a trend, even if it's a little one.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

he was also the guest on Destructoid's podcast yesterday....it's almost 2 hours long, it's a pretty good listen if you have the time

http://podtoid.com/

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

i'll definitely give it a listen later

here's a different podcast interview if you're interested:

http://savygamer.co.uk/2008/08/savygame ... ode-1.html

haven't listened myself so don't know how good it is but it went over pretty well with others