Hush's Tutorial for softmodding the Wii

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Hush

Post by Hush »

Sigma wrote:Nice info man, thanks. I assume the files you've linked to are specifically for NTSC-U Wiis, is that right? If so, do you have the files I could use to do this on a PAL Wii please?
I'm going to update the file pack so it will include the other regions as well. By the time you read this it should be updated.

Hush

Post by Hush »

http://www.mediafire.com/?2zzw1nodzjn

That is the direct link to the new file pack. It includes Zelda Twilight Hack files for all three regions now.

theaggravatedjew

Post by theaggravatedjew »

Im loving the modded wii, I was wondering if you could play wads from a dvd, I havent delved into them yet

Hush

Post by Hush »

theaggravatedjew wrote:Im loving the modded wii, I was wondering if you could play wads from a dvd, I havent delved into them yet
I don't think you can. As far as I know you have to install them to the dashboard with Wadmanager.

Guun

Post by Guun »

just tried this and found out that it's not compatible with the wii system 4.0 update.. i guess i'll just wait til they hack that one.

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

^ Why not buy a mod chip? It takes 15 minutes to install and you'll never have to worry about updates.

Guun

Post by Guun »

Seiko Flossberg wrote:^ Why not buy a mod chip? It takes 15 minutes to install and you'll never have to worry about updates.
what one would you recommend? wiikey?

Hush

Post by Hush »

Guun wrote:
Seiko Flossberg wrote:^ Why not buy a mod chip? It takes 15 minutes to install and you'll never have to worry about updates.
Yes, Wiikey v2.

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

Hush wrote:
Guun wrote:
Yes, Wiikey v2.

theaggravatedjew

Anyone using the pre loader and usb mod?

Hush

Post by Hush »

Not currently, although the concept is awesome. But I already have a bunch of games burned and I barely play my Wii as it is, so I don't really need an extra external drive for this feature.

theaggravatedjew

Hush wrote:Not currently, although the concept is awesome. But I already have a bunch of games burned and I barely play my Wii as it is, so I don't really need an extra external drive for this feature.
Thats what im juggling with. I think I may do it for future games, or copy a friends hard drive and toss discs or give em away or something.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

question:

I wanted to buy Final Fantasy IV: The After Years from the Wii Shop.

I go to the shop and it asks me to update my system.

I remember that you can update the shop from the homebrew channel, so I do that.

Now when I go into the store, it just immediately goes back to the main menu with all the channels.

OK, so I can't buy the game.

I downloaded the WAD and installed it through the homebrew channel, and it seemed like everything was OK.

When I try to run the game, the same thing happens. I press "Start", it fades to black, and the system kinda reboots and takes me back to the main menu with all the channels.

Any ideas on how I can get this working?

Hush

Post by Hush »

To be honest I've kind of been out of the Wii hacking loop for a minute. Every VC game I've installed thus far has worked fine, so if there's something that is affecting newer releases, I'm not aware of it. I know there are better hacks than my tut that allow you to have Wii menu v4.0 and still play backups / install pirated VC games. I would check out the Wii Hacking forum over at http://gbatemp.com for anything not covered here.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

I checked gbatemp out earlier in the day and there was nothing, now there's a 4 page thread on it, haha

just had to install IOS55 and it worked

Hush

Post by Hush »

Andvil wrote:I checked gbatemp out earlier in the day and there was nothing, now there's a 4 page thread on it, haha

just had to install IOS55 and it worked
:cheers:

theaggravatedjew

Anyone here running the pre loader, 4.0, usb, or the custom rock band or guitar hero stuff, I am way out of date with everything too and gbatemp can get sort of overwhelming.

Hush

Post by Hush »

theaggravatedjew wrote:Anyone here running the pre loader, 4.0, usb, or the custom rock band or guitar hero stuff, I am way out of date with everything too and gbatemp can get sort of overwhelming.
I ended up having an extra external drive so I did go ahead and install USB Loader GX and copy all of my games to it. I haven't updated anything else you mentioned though (still have v3.2 and starfall). Don't wanna update and fuck something up unless I have to.

I've been playing custom Guitar Heroes since the beginning. You can find them on torrent sites. You'll probably need to play these from discs though because USB Loader will recognize them as whatever Guitar Hero the hacked version is based on (meaning, I don't think you can have GH3 and a hacked version of GH3 on the HD at the same time, since it will think they are the same game).

All of this is just for nerd/aesthetic purposes though, as I still barely touch my Wii. :arrow:

The next game that I'm looking forward to actually playing is New Super Mario Bros.

theaggravatedjew

Oh yeah.... I got into the custom discs fast.

The new loader apparently treats tracks as wads that are then installed to rock band/ guitar hero as downloadable content thus enabling users to play and share customs online.

Rawksd is the name of the loader I've read up on the most.... it still sounds a little to glitchy and unstable for me to want to mess with it. However conceptually it sounds cool.

I definitely mod the wii more than play it, it has become a more fun game to me than many of the games I have.

Hush

Post by Hush »

theaggravatedjew wrote:The new loader apparently treats tracks as wads that are then installed to rock band/ guitar hero as downloadable content thus enabling users to play and share customs online.
I wasn't aware of this, but it sounds awesome.

Chale Holmes

Post by Chale Holmes »

Really thinking about dong this, but mostly for playing emulators. I don't play my wii very often but I wish I did. 360 has kept me busy but it's nice to know that I could play emulators for my wii. Plus that new wii resorts game looks cool as fuck

theaggravatedjew

Chale Holmes wrote:Really thinking about dong this, but mostly for playing emulators. I don't play my wii very often but I wish I did. 360 has kept me busy but it's nice to know that I could play emulators for my wii. Plus that new wii resorts game looks cool as fuck
Its worth it for the emulators alone, with the modded wiis and a 32 gig sd card you can fit a ton of roms.

Im admittedly a wii fanboi but I think there are enough solid titles to completely neglect it. And if you skipped gamecube theres a good chunk of cool titles for gamecube that you can play as well

Chale Holmes

Post by Chale Holmes »

Would any 32 Gig SD card function for this or does it have to be the Wii ones? I'm pretty sure they are the same thing.

theaggravatedjew

Chale Holmes wrote:Would any 32 Gig SD card function for this or does it have to be the Wii ones? I'm pretty sure they are the same thing.
Any, cheapest Ive seen is on ebay, for some sd card from hong kong... that seems sketchy but it had favorable reviews. I've yet to get a larger sd card.

Also you can supposedly run roms off of an external hd. I had issues formatting mine so I haven't personally done it that way.

www.gbatemp.net is a great resource though.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Added new guide from GBATemp in the first post!