Ico
50%
Shadow of the Colossus
50%

Total votes: 18

Tommy Bunz

Ico Vs. Shadow of the Colossus

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Which Fumito Ueda masterpiece do you think is best?

VS.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

I have owned ICO for a while, but haven't got a chance to play it, but I am a huge fan of shadows of the colossus.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Both incredible and very different kinds of games. I haven't played Ico in years and can barely remember it, but I'm inclined to go with that since it's more of a "game" in the traditional sense than Shadows.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

never played ico, but SOC is #5 favorite games ever!

service

Post by service »

Ico pretty easily. Dreamlike and wonderful from start to finish. SOTC was something I really wanted to love but the controls were wonky at best, and formula wore a little thin after the 6th or 7th Collosus.

frank b

Post by frank b »

2 of my all-time favorites.

Went with Ico, but just barely.
"My girl does shit like compare and contrast Kant, Foucault, Marx, Darwin and Socrates to Asian philosophers and Middle Eastern writers and poets I have never fucking heard of" - Mindbender Futurama

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

Ico is perfection from start to finnish.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Actually kindof surprised by the responses so far, was kindof expecting Ico to get blown out.

I was inpired to make this poll because I am currently replaying Ico (at least my 4th time through the game). Its amazing how well its held up considering its almost 10 years old at this point. Just goes to show you how important good art direction and level design are. The game still looks great and I'm not sure if I can think of another game since that has had better lighting. This game is enchanting and I'm rather obsessed with it.

Shadow of the Colossus is amazing and an incredibly novel game idea and my mind was blown constantly while playing it, but as an overall experience I think Ico is the better game.

FYI for those of you that haven't heard yet, these two games are widely rumored to be getting the God of War 1 & 2/PS3 treatment, with a new HD release as a bundle sometime in 2011.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

I've always wanted to play these games but I've never gotten around to it. Should I just wait to see if they do release updated versions of these? It seems like they might be kind of "you had to be there when it happened" type games like a lot of other PS2 titles were, and playing a version with updated graphics and what not might make the experience better.
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I think truly great games (which these definitely are) transcend the time period that they were made.
They might look a bit dated to you but they're not "you had to be there type" games at all.
Really they both stand on their artistic merits more than anything, positively beautiful and mesmerizing. Not really games as much as they are experiences. I really can't recommend either one enough.

Casual gamers seemed to enjoy Shadow more, I'd start there and if you enjoy it then play Ico. Shadow is also much cheaper to find used.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Tommy Bunz wrote:FYI for those of you that haven't heard yet, these two games are widely rumored to be getting the God of War 1 & 2/PS3 treatment, with a new HD release as a bundle sometime in 2011.
:ohsh: Will be copped.

frank b

Post by frank b »

Tommy Bunz wrote:FYI for those of you that haven't heard yet, these two games are widely rumored to be getting the God of War 1 & 2/PS3 treatment, with a new HD release as a bundle sometime in 2011.
Hoping that they announce this and show more of The Last Guardian at TGS.
"My girl does shit like compare and contrast Kant, Foucault, Marx, Darwin and Socrates to Asian philosophers and Middle Eastern writers and poets I have never fucking heard of" - Mindbender Futurama

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

frank b wrote:
Still can't believe they didn't show anything on The Last Guardian at E3. Hopefully its not going through development issues.

Finished Ico again last night. Such an awesome finale.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Hayzoos wrote: It seems like they might be kind of "you had to be there when it happened" type games like a lot of other PS2 titles were,
No. I honestly played both YEARS after they dropped and my first time through 'Shadow' (played just about nonstop for a weekend) was probably the second most fun first-play experience I've ever had with a game. Play ASAP.

I played 'Shadow' before 'Ico,' so that may have tainted my perception, but that weekend is probably second only to my weekend playing the first God of War as far as the most fun 72 hours I've ever had with a game. Voted 'Shadow.'

Although I'm probably the only person who thinks the very ending of 'Shadow' is anticlimactic and kind of lame.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

I got Shadow of Colossus a couple of months ago after hearing for years how beautiful and unique of an experience it is. It didn't do much for me. You ride a horse for 20 minutes, figure out a way to stab a giant shaggy beast in the brain and then black spirit tentacles take you back to a shrine so you can talk to a skylight.

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

frank b wrote:
I've been holding off replaying these until there's any more HD news.

Only five weeks 'til TGS.

Drastik

Post by Drastik »

Hayzoos wrote:I've always wanted to play these games but I've never gotten around to it. Should I just wait to see if they do release updated versions of these? It seems like they might be kind of "you had to be there when it happened" type games like a lot of other PS2 titles were, and playing a version with updated graphics and what not might make the experience better.
That's what I thought, but I grabbed Shadows of the Colossus when it became a PS2 Classic and it was still fun as hell. I seen my older cousin playing it before when it first came out, but was never drawn to it because of how long shit seemed to take - I had a very low attention span.
"Anything posted/said by Drastik is false and should not be taken seriously."

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:Although I'm probably the only person who thinks the very ending of 'Shadow' is anticlimactic and kind of lame.

If you had played Ico first the Shadow ending would have had you like :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh:

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Great find/news!
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I want this to be true as much as anyone else but that screenshot has been around for a long time and is in the first post of this thread.

frank b

Post by frank b »

Hey, anybody want to preorder the ICO / SOTC PS3 collection?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ICO-Shadow-of ... 3/15061046

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

Psychosis wrote:I got Shadow of Colossus a while back after hearing for years how beautiful and unique of an experience it is. It didn't do much for me. You ride a horse for an hour and a half and never even find shit
maybe I'm retarded but I never found a single colossus and just gave up

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

odium-LSC wrote:
Psychosis wrote:I got Shadow of Colossus a while back after hearing for years how beautiful and unique of an experience it is. It didn't do much for me. You ride a horse for an hour and a half and never even find shit
maybe I'm retarded but I never found a single colossus and just gave up
LOL. The first colossus is literally like 500 yards from where you start the game. All you need to do is hold up your sword and the light points in the direction of where you need to go.

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

So is there an official date for this bundle re-release? Never owned a PS2 so I missed out on these first time around.