Mafia II (PC, 360, PS3)

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

The Red Scare

Mafia II (PC, 360, PS3)

Post by The Red Scare »

Check out the demo of this, it's really good. The game is gorgeous (and is very smooth on my PC, I'm glad this isn't some lazy port) and it seems to control better than GTA IV.

It comes out on the 24th. Anyone else excited for Mafia II?

Mercuthio

Post by Mercuthio »

This looks really really good. I used to love the first Mafia.

Haven't played a game in ages though. Gunshots don't go well with nervous twitches.

I'm thinking about buying this now though, if only to get blitzed and pretend i'm driving around a town in the 50s.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Just finished playing the demo. Left me with a mixed impression. Found the gameplay a little rough around the edges. Not sure I'll cop it straight away, I'll probably wait for the sales.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

The PC version of this looks great. The console versions on the other hand, do not. There's loads of screen tearing (26% in the 360 version, 40% in the PS3 version) and the PS3 version also has inferior graphics, much like the PS3 version of Red Dead Redemption: -

360: -

PS3: -

I think for the first time in a while, I'm gonna cop the PC version.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

was going to forgo d/ling the demo and just cop when it comes out
may have to rethink that now
moved by duck muscles

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

well the first mafia was great so i'm hoping this carries on the tradition.

Drastik

Post by Drastik »

Wow, I wasn't expecting the details to be so watered down in the PS3 version. Fuck. Comparing the grass in the 360 screenshot alone puts it higher than the PS3.
"Anything posted/said by Drastik is false and should not be taken seriously."

Hush

Post by Hush »

Copped on 360. The narrative is dope but I don't see this having any replay value. It's not as 'open world' as I was expecting, the story is pretty linear.

Post by 360 »

I would give it a 7 out of 10 at best. More like a 6.8

ric

Post by ric »

360 wrote:I would give it a 7 out of 10 at best. More like a 6.8
why so low/mediocre?

Post by 360 »

ric wrote:
360 wrote:I would give it a 7 out of 10 at best. More like a 6.8
why so low/mediocre?

The story is lackluster in many places, there aren't any side missions which means the game is much too linear. They shouldn't have made the game open-world if there wouldn't be anything to do.

Godfather II was far superior, IMO.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Haven't played The Godfather I or II but I agree completely about this game.

It is like playing an Alan Wake style game but instead of horror you have the mobster setting. The open world only serves as a backdrop for progressing from mission to mission. You can steal cars and rob stores but there just isn't enough here to distract you from the main story. Also, you only get one destination/objective at a time so the story is very linear. It isn't like GTA where you can open up multiple people to visit to start missions, mix things up with side missions, etc.

This game would be dope if it offered something that wasn't already done better in multiple other games or had it dropped about 4 years ago. Similar to how the first Saints Row was really dope when it was released because it filled the void before a proper GTA game was released on a next gen console.

Not a bad game but not worth $60 imo. I'll probably be selling my copy after I finish the story. If you have a few nights free, I'd recommend it as a solid rental.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I would also give it a 7/10 based on what I've played so far, but to me that's a good score. I like the atmosphere it creates and the story (although it's fairly clich

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

Yeah Mafia II is not very good. The quality of the demo is not at all indicative of the rest of the game. I'd give it a 6.5. The graphics on the PC are stellar, the voice acting is excellent, it's got great atmosphere, and the shootouts can be really fun at times, but there's too much crap mixed in.

My biggest gripe is that most of game feels like it should be a tutorial mission. Its overloaded with boring menial tasks like stacking boxes and cleaning urinals.

I also found the tone of the game to be immature and misogynistic. Collecting Playboy covers throughout the game is an idiotic marketing ploy, and the characters call women "cum dumpsters" and the like without any indication of irony.

It's not a bad game, but it is a disappointment, especially considering how highly-regarded the first game is.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

shit, was looking forward to this but don't feel like copping it after reading this thread. Anybody ever mess with gamefly? Don't know how the hell i'm supposed to rent games now that my local blockbuster went down the shitter so may give that a go
moved by duck muscles

Post by 360 »

Gamefly works like netflix.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

word, knew that much, wasn't sure if they were as efficient etc. As netflix, or if there was any bad word of mouf. Regardless, i'll give it a go. Cheers
moved by duck muscles

Hush

Post by Hush »

^^^

You might have trouble getting Mafia II right away since it is a new release. I've also heard horror stories of Gamefly throttling accounts and not sending you games at the top of your queue.

That's why I stick to buying new, selling on Amazon marketplace (never trade in unless there is a damn good coupon/promotion), and buying used.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

there we are. thanks for the info homie. guess theres no need to be in any dire rush to play mafia II so i'll give this gamefly a first hand whirl and see if they do me right
moved by duck muscles

ric

Post by ric »

thanks for the reviews

overshadow

Post by overshadow »

I went into this game not expecting much and ended up being surprised at the quality of the story. It definitely isn't just for running around doing random shit as was mentioned above but I had a great time during the 11 hours the game lasted. I think there is gonna be a fair bit of DLC for this title.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

i'm still not done with it but all in all a pretty compelling game. Once you get used to the fact that the world isn't open it becomes a lot easier to enjoy. That said, the chapter in which you're in prison, scrubbing toilets with a single click, taking a shower, walking walking walking, followed by the chapter where you have to drive for fifteen minutes, dig a hole and ditch dudes body is easily the most boring two hours I've ever spent playing a video game.
Ended up being swayed by the potential DLC into buying this, haven't heard much about that yet but hopefully it's worthwhile.
moved by duck muscles

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Hush wrote:Copped on 360. The narrative is dope but I don't see this having any replay value. It's not as 'open world' as I was expecting, the story is pretty linear.
This.

First one was so dope tho, I think my expectations for this were a lil unrealistic.

thomasv

Post by thomasv »