Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (2012)

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

You can replay the demo and it will already know if you completed the well of souls starting zone, it asks if you just want to carry on playing outside with a new character or start from the very start again. Did the former and created a Wolverine looking rogue slicing bandits up with the quickness. Great stuff, think I'm gonna roll a Mage Rogue hybrid in the main game.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

Leaning on doing a pure Melee build and seeing how much Damage I can Tank. Top Melee Destiny looks Godly, well honestly all 3 Top Pure Destinies looked Godly. Sorcery Destinies seems like the most OP.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Played the demo again and tried it out as a warrior and that was dope too. Still feel a pure mage or mage/rogue hybrid might suit my play style better. It's awesome that mages can equip a bunch of shit other than staffs as weapons.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Launch trailer. Counting the days until it's in my hands.

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_xEr5HBoKhA?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_xEr5HBoKhA?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Curt Schilling :copy: Peter Molyneaux
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/ ... ing-world/

The Aluminum Falcon

Post by The Aluminum Falcon »

Anything special included with the pre-order edition of the game?

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Fate Touched Weapons Pack depending on where you pre-ordered i think.

There's also the the free DLC of the House of Valor (an extra faction side quests) if you buy the game new. There's an almost 200 page thread bitchin' about that over at the official forum.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iqmoXzD2v3Y?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iqmoXzD2v3Y?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

The Aluminum Falcon

Spartan wrote:Fate Touched Weapons Pack depending on where you pre-ordered i think.
Nice. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and pre order it. The demo was pretty fun.
Spartan wrote:There's also the the free DLC of the House of Valor (an extra faction side quests) if you buy the game new. There's an almost 200 page thread bitchin' about that over at the official forum.
I don't see whats so wrong with it as long as they include that content with the first time buyers, that's ok in my book. There has to be some incentive for people to actually go out there and purchase the games as they won't be making shit off the people who just wait for them to hit the used bin and pick them up for $20 or whatever. The shit that burns me is when they have that first day available DLC. I'm surprised no one brought that up in the Resident Evil thread as I'm pretty sure they pulled that bullshit on RE5's release date, and that the content was actually already existent within each copy but you just had to pay to unlock it or something. :lol:

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The Aluminum Falcon wrote:I don't see whats so wrong with it as long as they include that content with the first time buyers, that's ok in my book. There has to be some incentive for people to actually go out there and purchase the games as they won't be making shit off the people who just wait for them to hit the used bin and pick them up for $20 or whatever. The shit that burns me is when they have that first day available DLC. I'm surprised no one brought that up in the Resident Evil thread as I'm pretty sure they pulled that bullshit on RE5's release date, and that the content was actually already existent within each copy but you just had to pay to unlock it or something. :lol:
Publishers usually pull that shit off all the time, worst example might have been Fable 3. This DLC however was made after the game was locked and went gold last December. It's not part of the game disc or something that needs to be unlocked so I don't regard it as shady. A bunch of devs even stated the dlc was initially going to be purchased download and meant to be released at later date, instead they're giving it away free on the release date as a thank you to everyone that bought the game new. Didn't stop folks and one game site to start a bitchfest about it. Honestly, there's 200+ hours worth of game time on the actual disc, far more than you usually expect in the majority of games out there, i don't see the problem.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

^^ The only problem is that a ton of gamers have a sense of entitlement and think everyone owes them something. Bunch of spoiled little brats.

Game looks good and I want to see Curt Schilling succeed, but I'm wary of the time commitment it would demand.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Rarely pay much attention to certain game site reviews but IGN seem to really like it.

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jVC6FemwPcI?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jVC6FemwPcI?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Written review http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1216517p1.html

Only a few days left to go.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

yeah I'm genuinely excited about this game. Hoping my local Gamestop does a midnight release.

The Aluminum Falcon

I went ahead and pre-ordered it at gamestop along with Twisted Metal yesterday. Good to hear it's getting good reviews.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

:rofl:

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Despite an overall positive review, I'm convinced Thierry Nguyen might very well be the Mindbender of video-gaming journalism.
I struggled initially to come up with a way to accurately state how liberally Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning lifts ideas from other games while still managing to feel like its own distinct title. I was ready to cite Igor Stravinsky (or Picasso, or T.S. Eliot, whoever you prefer to attribute this to) when he said, "Good artists borrow, great artists steal," or even serve up that trusty chestnut about how Steven Spielberg compressed every pulp adventure he loved into Raiders of the Lost Ark. It wasn't until I perused my music collection that I found a contemporary artist who gleefully takes the music of others while using that work as a solid foundation to add his own distinct style that results in something that can only be attributed to him: Kanye West.

If you abhor my taste in music (or simply Kanye in particular), feel free to substitute any sample-heavy artist, like early Danger Mouse or Endtroducing...-era DJ Shadow, instead. Either way, I use those analogues to express this basic point: Sure, Reckoning takes a lot from pretty much every other game you care to name, but it does such a good job of it that the mixing of borrowed elements and layering on of new ones coalesces into a damn fine action-RPG.
full review here. http://www.1up.com/reviews/kingdoms-ama ... r.offset=0

ric

Post by ric »

holy shit game looks fucking sick. god of war + rpg = bonkers good. they fucking have the illidan blades as an option, holy shit that is fucking sweet

edit:
i just read the gamespot review, what a bunch of nerd bs. summary: this game is sweet, except its not skyrim level of world building = 7.5.

thats some dumb shit or some 'we are officially comparing every single game to skyrim now' shit

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

Got it, installed, download all pre-order and bonus dlc. Haven't played yet tho, been pre-occupied with The Simpsons Arcade.

ric

Post by ric »

uh.....maybe i agree with the gamespot 7.5 review. game throws a lot at you with no explanation. im 5 hours in, doing first town questing. its like fable + god of war + neverwinter nights sprinkled in. ive never played world of warcraft but i imagine its a bit like that. game is surprisingly challenging after the intro but im not rolling with a melee build.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

:jaz: it didn't arrive today.

Post by 360 »

This game is disappointing only because it is so easy.

The combat is so visceral and entertaining, but ultimately fails so deliver since the game provides no challenge.

If combat is going to be your major selling point, make the combat worth it.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Yeah, hard difficulty actually feels like I'm playing on normal. Still loving the game so far though.

ric

Post by ric »

i guess i am not good at quick combat games. how do you guys deal with being ganged up on by like 8 wolves and you cant even roll away?

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

360 wrote:This game is disappointing only because it is so easy.

The combat is so visceral and entertaining, but ultimately fails so deliver since the game provides no challenge.

I couldn't agree more. There hasn't been a single challenging encounter so far.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Seiko Flossberg wrote:
360 wrote:This game is disappointing only because it is so easy.

I couldn't agree more. There hasn't been a single challenging encounter so far.
Either I'm getting too old or you guys are gamer pros because I'm definitely finding it challenging. I'll admit hard feels like I'm playing on normal mode but I still find some of the encounters pretty tough, particularly the ettin where I'm needing to use pots.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

I believe it depends on play style, I think if you're playing a caster/ranger type and play keep away while cheesing the scepter/longbow then it prolly will be a little easier. I'm playing a straight meele warrior on hard and it supplies a little bit more of a challenge.

Niggas need to get in that "ric frame of mind" and add some limitations and restrictions to their gameplay styles.

Post by 360 »

Well, we are all rpg nerds here.

I'm not saying I haven't needed to use healing potions, but I only died three times thus far and one of those times was in the beginning when I was still figuring certain things out.

I enjoy encounters where you are guaranteed to die until you discover a viable strategy. This game requires none of that aside from basic and instinctual tactics.

Not to be like the rest of the internet and compare this to Skyrim because I don't think they are comparable, but Skyrim on master difficulty is harder than KOA and Skyrim is about immersion over combat.

Many times have I been one-shotted in Skyrim by a sabre cat jumping out of the bushes and genuinely startling me. In dungeons, any Dragon Priest encounter provides more of a challenge.

I just hate games that I can easily run though. Also, the side quests can be a bit monotonous in KOA. If this game was more difficult, with more varied side quests, it would easily be a personal favorite.

I'm just disappointed because I've been looking forward to this game for quite some time.

Also, RA Salvatore sucks.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The KOAR forums seem to hint that going pure finesse is the more challenging than any of the other classes.

ric

Post by ric »

i am pure finessing and when i get ganged up on it is easy to get fucked because some of those dudes shoot/jump at you from off screen and stun you and then gang bang you for 3/4s of your life. but i havent played in a while due to my semi-realist build in skyrim.

ps a little bizarre (although not entirely non-sensical) that you sell those power-gem things by themselves for more money than a weapon+gem combo.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

You need to dodge and weave through the melee mobs and target the ranged attackers/summoners first. Placing traps and using stealth would probably be a more efficient form of crowd control as a pre-fight opener and avoiding gankfests but I wouldn't really know as I went the pure sorcery route.

Considering might/finesse hybrid for my second play through.

ric

Post by ric »

good tips. i didnt realize you could set traps that meant something. ill try that out. stealth is kind of a problem for the game though. there is no reason for this person to have any sense of where you are but if you get to the edge of their 'sense range' you can just sit there and they will eventually notice you despite the fact that they are sleeping and faced away from you.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I'm not finding this game all that great. It's kind of Fable with the charm removed, but with a much better combat system. I also like that you can shape your character how you like, but you seem to get too powerful too quickly and that takes a lot of the challenge out of it.