Roku Vs. Apple TV.

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

The Afronaut

Roku Vs. Apple TV.

Post by The Afronaut »

Left: Apple TV Right: Roku LT

:phila: -Electronic Sages

Im on the fence about which way to go...

Please share your experiences with either and why you prefer one over the other.

Thanks in advance.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

There's a good comparison of the two here: -

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57 ... d-you-buy/

Based on what I know of them, I agree with the conclusion - if you're an "Apple guy" and use iTunes a lot then go for the Apple TV, otherwise go for the Roku.

deepfriedjellol

Post by deepfriedjellol »

im an apple guy for the products, but i dont buy shit from itunes
but i use netflix a shitton with the kids

ive had the apple tv since two christmases ago
love it

i have a laptop (pc and mac) and with any of my apple devices (ipod, iphone and ipad), and the Air Video app (which is a dollar and runs on both the laptop and the handheld device) i open the app with the apple tv on, find the movie i want to watch on my laptop, click it, click play with live conversion, wait a minute

movie streams to my idevice, i hit the airplay button
watch on the apple tv
when it's over, i delete it and move the fuck on

also, when people come over and want to play me something music wise, ill have them hit play on their iphone, then hit airplay to stream it to the tv
we can go back and forth djing without having to plug anything in and it isnt too loud or too quiet to be around
it's actually fucking perfect

deepfriedjellol

just read the article you posted
this is the best way anyone can sum up this discussion
Sigma wrote:if you're an "Apple guy" and use iTunes a lot then go for the Apple TV, otherwise go for the Roku.

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

A MacMini with Plex shits all over both of them. However, if I had to chose between the two, I'd go with a jailbroken Apple TV.

deepfriedjellol

how did you jailbreak your appletv?

still havent attempted it out of fear of the unknown

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

^ http://firecore.com/

I never had a problem with it.

perabigail

Post by perabigail »

not sure if this is the place for this question but i'll go ahead anyway:

i work at a hotel and one of the main complaints we get is that we don't offer pay-per-view movies. we used to offer them through a service called lodgenet, but there were a lot of problem (clunky interface, people being charged for movies when they didn't buy them, people buying movies and the charges not posting to their account, etc.) Lately, we have been kicking around the idea of fitting all of the rooms with a roku box. i don't even know if this is practical, because we have 183 rooms but basically my questions are

does a roku box require a netflix account already or does the purchase of the account come with a netflix account?

what bandwidth issues would come along with implementing something like this? the guest portion of our internet access is running off of a T1 line, but i know the internet slows down quite a bit when the hotel is full as it is.

does the roku work pretty seamlessly with regular tv? meaning, is it just another input like a blu-ray player or a gaming console, or is it setup as "channel 1" or something similar? we get a lot of foreigners who are already confused enough just changing the channel and we don't want thinks to be overcomplicated.