Apple game console rumored for 2012 launch

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Russian
NSFW

Apple game console rumored for 2012 launch

Post by Russian »

"Kinect-like video game console" reportedly the reason for Apple CEO visiting Valve headquarters last week, could integrate Valve's Steam Box project.

Apple could be getting back into the console game market with a helping hand from Valve, according to a report on Cult of Mac.

Is the console market big enough for Apple, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo?
The Apple-focused news site followed up reports that Apple CEO Tim Cook visited the Bellevue, Washington, headquarters of Valve last week with an explanation for the executive's trip. According to Cult of Mac sources, Apple is preparing a TV set for release later this year that "will come with an Apple-branded, Kinect-like video game console." According to the site, the system will rely on motion and touch controls, possibly through a touch screen remote that will come with the TV.

The news follows rumors of Valve's entry into the hardware market. Last week, the developer posted job listings for an electronics engineer to join its hardware team, which is creating "whole new gaming experiences." The company has also said it is investigating the field of wearable computing and augmented reality.

Neither Apple nor Valve returned requests for comment as of press time.

This would not be Apple's first attempt at cracking the game console space. The company teamed with Bandai in 1995 to launch Pippin, a multimedia console based on the Macintosh operating system that also allowed users to access the Internet. The system flopped, selling just 12,000 units in the US before Bandai pulled the plug on it.

ric

Post by ric »

sounds extremely weak to me

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

:arrow:

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

My guess would be they would try to snatch up the casual/ wii market. I think wii sold the most units n doesnt have a direct competitor; fits apple's image too.

Prob wont happen tho.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Why is Apple making a TV? They are low margin with long life spans.
Why are they building a game system for the living room? They are a major player in the hand held area. If kinect is their idea they already lost if you want a kinect just get a Xbox so you can also play Halo.

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

If Valve is on board, this is a force. I would personally be pretty excited if it were true. I kinda dislike Apple and think they are probably evil, but they obviously have the ability to create a really bitchin console, and if their pedigree for creating intuitive and innovative interfaces is upheld and transfers to the software, they could make some new and different things happen and scare the other companies out of complacency. Valve has the same demanding reputation out of it's products, and Gabe Newell is probably one of the smartest people in the industry.

Gamers win in this situation, either way.
the boy is the father to the man

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I can't see this appealing to me if it happens. A big part of what made the 360 and PS3 so attractive is that they were both cutting edge tech sold at a loss for a long time. I want a powerful console, but I don't want to pay a fortune for it. Apple won't deliver that.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

perfectprism wrote: Gamers win in this situation, either way.
Have to disagree. There needs to be multiple players in the hardware industry just to keep everyone honest but for fuck sakes I do not want to have to decide between four consoles next go-round.

DJ Primate

Post by DJ Primate »

Sigma wrote:I want a powerful console, but I don't want to pay a fortune for it. Apple won't deliver that.
Apple is good at taking mediocre technology and packaging it like it's brilliant. I think lots of "gamers" will reject the idea (much like the Wii) and the Apple iGame or whatever will cater to casuals.

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

Gamers didn't reject the Wii at all, until later. If Valve is on board they will have the gamer contingency satisfied and excited about the release. Apple didn't choose them by accident (if it's true).

Would be awesome if they could somehow integrate a Steam-like platform for the this too. Valve wouldn't have to go through the Big 3 anymore and could do it on their own terms. I think Valve itself was rumored to be thinking about making it's own console a while back, so they may be more serious about this than we imagine.

Plus, games have been boring lately. Time to shake it up.
the boy is the father to the man

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

ThaJim2 wrote:Why is Apple making a TV? They are low margin with long life spans.
Why are they building a game system for the living room? They are a major player in the hand held area. If kinect is their idea they already lost if you want a kinect just get a Xbox so you can also play Halo.
It's not about single devices but a full suite of products. Further entrenching you into the Apple ecosystem will make it inconvenient and expensive to switch platform.

Indivisual

Post by Indivisual »

how is this not a good thing? Valve being on-board means it will have Steam support which means a greater chance for indie game designers to get their stuff out there. That will drive costs of games down and creativity up. Valve has always been behind indie game developers 100%. They're one of the best forces going in the gaming market.
IMHO, there is no lyricist now or before that can match the lyrical dexterity of Qwel.