PS4 to be revealed Feb. 20th?

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Truth.

PS4 to be revealed Feb. 20th?

Post by Truth. »

WSJ: Sony's next PlayStation will be revealed February 20th, arrive later this year (update)
By Sean Hollister 4 Hours Ago

Sony said we'd 'see the future' of PlayStation on February 20th, and it appears to be true: The Wall Street Journal is reporting that the company will not only reveal the next PlayStation at the event, but actually put the new video game console on sale later this year. According to the publication's anonymous sources, both the next PlayStation and Microsoft's next game system will compete head to head going into the holiday season.

Though Sony CEO Kaz Hirai and others had originally telegraphed that the next PlayStation might not be ready as soon as the next Xbox, it appears to have been a feint. We may see what the so-called PlayStation Orbis has to offer in as few as three weeks. In the meanwhile, you can pick through Sony's video teaser to see what could be our first glimpse at the game system.

Update: In an update, the Journal adds that Sony is planning to "incorporate more social gaming aspects into the new machine," and that the company is generally focused more on "changes in how users interact with the machine" rather than spec improvements. Reportedly, it will still have an optical drive, though the publication's anonymous sources say that Sony had considered removing it. As rumored in April, the Journal says that the console will likely use AMD processors for both CPU and GPU, which could make backwards compatibility with PS3 games — developed for the Cell processor architecture — difficult.

jredd109

Re: PS4 to be revealed Feb. 20th?

Post by jredd109 »

Truth. wrote:
WSJ: Sony's next PlayStation will be revealed February 20th, arrive later this year (update)
By Sean Hollister 4 Hours Ago

Sony said we'd 'see the future' of PlayStation on February 20th, and it appears to be true: The Wall Street Journal is reporting that the company will not only reveal the next PlayStation at the event, but actually put the new video game console on sale later this year. According to the publication's anonymous sources, both the next PlayStation and Microsoft's next game system will compete head to head going into the holiday season.

Though Sony CEO Kaz Hirai and others had originally telegraphed that the next PlayStation might not be ready as soon as the next Xbox, it appears to have been a feint. We may see what the so-called PlayStation Orbis has to offer in as few as three weeks. In the meanwhile, you can pick through Sony's video teaser to see what could be our first glimpse at the game system.

Update: In an update, the Journal adds that Sony is planning to "incorporate more social gaming aspects into the new machine," and that the company is generally focused more on "changes in how users interact with the machine" rather than spec improvements. Reportedly, it will still have an optical drive, though the publication's anonymous sources say that Sony had considered removing it. As rumored in April, the Journal says that the console will likely use AMD processors for both CPU and GPU, which could make backwards compatibility with PS3 games — developed for the Cell processor architecture — difficult.
sounds kinda...lame. i like spec improvements.

as far as social gaming aspects, not sure what more is needed other than what the ps3 does? so the new one will update facebook automatically when you are playing? lame.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

looks like i'll be staying put with my tre.

Post by 360 »

Marginal spec improvements = Initially, we lost too much money during the time of the PS3's release and don't want to take the risk again.

FOOLISH

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

If the specs that leaked for this are true its not a marginal improvement

And unlike PS3 it's supposedly very easy to develop for

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

well that's good then

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

360 wrote:Marginal spec improvements = Initially, we lost too much money during the time of the PS3's release and don't want to take the risk again.

FOOLISH
I think Sony may be being foolish, but not because the specs are a marginal increase. The specs are a considerable step up on the PS3, but it looks like they are once again making the most powerful machine, which either means selling it at a higher price than the competition or taking a bigger per-unit loss for a longer time - or both. They look to be streamlining their overall business, but going all out with this, which is a risky strategy especially when MS have much deeper pockets and could squeeze them heavily on price if they wanted to.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

if its not backwards compatible it can go to Hell.

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

just keep your ps3 around...

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

Galvatron78 wrote:if its not backwards compatible it can go to Hell.
I can guarantee you it will Burn in hell then, Backwards compatibility isn't even a consideration at this point.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Backwards compatibility died when they realized they can sell you old games that you already own for 10-20 bucks a piece, and that people will still buy them.
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

they need to fix their user interface tho.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Im copping regardless.

ric

Post by ric »

probably not gonna get this. but i said that about ps3....but really probably not. games are getting borrrrrrrrrrrring and i dont really care to finish them anymore. xcom though :bow: really want terror from the deep or apocalypse to come out ps3

as far as the visual specs go; that is fine to me honestly; in fact if that means that they have allocated resources so you can actually DO more cool shit then that is exactly what i want to hear (not like ill be getting it but still)

the main reason i got ps3 is because assassins creed 1 and mgs4 pushed gaming into a whole new thing for me

Post by 907 »

I've owned every PlayStation console to date, and for some reason can't bring myself to care about this. I use my 360 ten times more than my ps3 as it is, if I'm getting a next gen system it's probably going to be microsoft. Will probably cop this 5 years after it drops to play through the good exclusives though, tbh.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Sony this upcoming gen, i think they will learn from their mistakes with the ps3 and get Playstation back to it's glory days

they also still have the best 1st party developers around

Post by 360 »

^ I hope you are right

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Booo

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

how much are those controllers gonna cost. 100$ a pop?

ric

Post by ric »

geez that sucks

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

that joint looks like a Mad Catz knock off.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

i think thats just a fan mockup

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Report: PlayStation 4 Will Stream Games
“The new technology… will allow users to play games delivered over the Internet…”
February 15, 2013
by Colin Moriarty

Not surprisingly, the PlayStation 4 rumors have been flowing as of late. With the expected reveal of the console coming this Wednesday, February 20 in New York City, it only makes sense that little bits of information would begin to emerge about what we’ll be seeing.

The newest rumor is in regard to the next PlayStation’s ability to stream games. The Wall Street Journal is reporting that “Sony Corp. is planning to offer technology to stream games to its next videogame console,” according to its own sources.

The new technology, to be unveiled Wednesday along with the new console, will allow users to play games delivered over the Internet, these people said. The streaming service, they added, is designed to use current PlayStation 3 titles on the new console; the new device is also expected to play new games stored on optical discs.

As WSJ points out, such a move on Sony’s part would be unsurprising. Even when it was drowning in red ink, it still took a massive risk when it bought streaming service Gaikai for $380 million. There is absolutely no doubt that, with an investment that significant at such a difficult time for Sony, Gaikai's technology will be poised to play an important role in Sony’s future.

Streaming games to PlayStation 4 (and perhaps other Sony devices) would be significant, giving gamers access to a wide array of titles that they never had to purchase outright. This could suggest that Sony may have a game rental-like service on its next PlayStation, or perhaps even a new subscription service that would give gamers access to a library of offerings. At this point, everything remains speculative.

We've reached out to Sony for official comment and will update when we hear back. In the meantime, catch up on all of the pertinent PlayStation 4 news and rumors, including (but not limited to) information on PS4's controller, word of a new LittleBigPlanet and the possibility of Killzone 4 being a launch title.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

Live Stream of the PS4 announcement...

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/games/wa ... ouncement/

can't embed.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

I dipped out on current gen, so I really have no baseline to refer to. Are these graphics supposed to impress?
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

:blank:

Think I might be done with consoles for good.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Some more PS4 pants wetting goodness.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Ps4 games are gonna be amazing

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I thought that Sony pretty much nailed their conference. The only things that were disappointing to me were the controller - I hate the DualShock design and was hoping they would change it - and the lack of native backwards compatibility, although I expected that given the change in architecture. The console specs and features seem really well thought out. The console is powerful and they've focussed on ease of use for devs, instead of pushing some fruity architecture. If they can properly deliver with the remote play, they will sell a lot of Vitas and it puts a nail in the Wii-U's coffin. The games looked good, but not great, although it's obviously early days and all of the demos were either early stage games or unfinished game engine demos.

I really liked some of the system features: -

The low power sleep mode, so you can just suspend your session and quickly pick it up later on.

Having a chip dedicated to handling background downloads, as the PS3 was awful for that. Being able to start playing a downloadable game while it's still downloading is great.

Being able to watch your friends playing games is cool, and being able to take control of their character in their game remotely (with their permission of course) to help them out is even cooler.

The video uploading and Ustream features are nice, although not something I would use.

I'm glad they've ditched the XMB. The new dashboard looked a bit like the 360 dashboard, but minus all the crap and clutter - it looked simple and clean, but more "alive" compared to the stale XMB.

The remote play feature is excellent, providing it works with "almost every game" as someone from Sony said in an interview last night. Sony have failed to deliver on promises in the past though, so I'll wait and see with that one.

It's be interesting to see how MS differentiate their machine from the PS4 now, as the 720 specs are not as good (weaker GPU, slower RAM). One of the advantages of the 360 this gen was that the majority of cross-platform games look/perform better on it to varying degrees due to it being easier to develop for and because of the architecture (unified system RAM for instance - which the PS4 now has), but I think the roles will be reversed for this upcoming generation.