The Swapper (PC)

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Sigma

The Swapper (PC)

Post by Sigma »

This is an award winning indie platform/puzzle game for PC. I think it's Windows only for now, but it's supposed to be coming out for OS X as well at some point.

The atmosphere is kinda like a Metroid game, or maybe a 2D version of Dead Space. The game starts off with your character being launched into space in an escape pod and landing on a planet. Aside from the regular platforming style of moving around and jumping, there are 2 key mechanics - cloning yourself and swapping places with one of the clones. You can create up to 4 clones of yourself at once and they will move as you move. If you make physical contact with a clone, it will crumble to the ground allowing you to make a new one. You can also click on one of the clones and swap places with it. The puzzles start out easy - creating a clone that can step on a switch to open a door - but the difficulty ramps up over time. For instance, there are certain coloured beams that block your ability to create a clone in a particular area, or to swap to a clone in a particular area.

There are some gameplay videos on YouTube, but I won't post one as they contain spoilers. Here's a short trailer though: -

The summary from IGN's review where they give it 9.3/10: -
The Swapper tempted me with ingenious puzzles, transported me to a fully realized science-fiction world, and made me ask questions about mortality and morality that few video games have ever dared to explore. Very few puzzle games have ever managed to marry impeccable challenges with a mature storytelling quite like this – there's no fluff or extraneous content here, only a prime example of how to create a tight, unforgettable gaming experience.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/01/t ... per-review

At the moment this is £8.99 on Steam, so it'll probably be about $12 if you're in the US. If you like platform/puzzle games, definitely give this one a look!

manwhore

Re: The Swapper (PC)

Post by manwhore »

yeah i'm going to give this one a look over the weekend.

atmosphere looks great for a puzzler, which is also what made portal 2 such a classic.

drobizhek

Post by drobizhek »

I tried it yesterday for 30 seconds and my computer crashed due to overheating. I cleaned up all the dust from the GPU/CPU today and I'm trying it later. I'll post more after that.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Stuff like this is the only reason I still bother with video games.

drobizhek

Post by drobizhek »

Combo7 wrote:Stuff like this is the only reason I still bother with video games.
Amen. You should check out Sacred citadel If you haven't. It's a retro (no homo) beat em up but it's really good.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Good call, just watched a video and it looks sweet. Should hold me over until Dragon's Crown comes out.

drobizhek

Post by drobizhek »

I think you'd enjoy Gunpoint. It looks so fucking sweet :ohsh:

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

this swapper game is pretty awesome

i've been playing it all afternoon. awesome atmosphere and some challenging puzzles.