MP3 Player Thread

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

MP3 Player Thread

Post by HopeLess »

Ok, so I'm trying to decide of what kind of MP3 player to get, and the best earbud headphones to pick up with them. I want something with plenty of space for music, and don't really want an IPOD...I also want something I can wear while at the gym.

I just wanted to get some of your opinions, since all you guys seem to be pretty knowledgable about this sort of thing.

Any info would be great, thanks in advance.

rakesh1

Post by rakesh1 »

for earbuds, i suggest
sharp md33s
shure e2c

rakesh1

Post by rakesh1 »

sony is coming out with their new walkman.. i wonder if they will wise up with their compatibility problems or whatever. if so, i wouldnt hesitate to buy one

Useff

Post by Useff »

rakesh wrote:sony is coming out with their new walkman.. i wonder if they will wise up with their compatibility problems or whatever. if so, i wouldnt hesitate to buy one

It supports MP3 this time, not just ATRAC. I don't know about other formats.

rakesh1

Post by rakesh1 »

^^btw, i checked out the w800 walkman phone in the sony store today. its nice. as small as the t616. camera seemed pretty sharp. nav was cool, too

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

ugly

ButtersFoo
Jenna Jameson

Post by ButtersFoo »

ackbar wrote:ugly
Really? I think it's kinda sleek looking.
I like the black/gunmetal/blue scheme.

sneed

Post by sneed »

i know u dont want an ipod but i mean the fucking NANO is unbelievable.

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

I was actually coming into this forum to see what you all know about the iAudio X5.

I do not currently own any MP3 players, and had never really thought about getting one until someone put me on to these iAudio joints. Now that I have done a little research, I think I want one.

Best aspects about this unit are that it supports the widest variety of sound files, it plays movies (when re-encoded using the supplied software), shows pics, is USB compatible and doesn't need additional software for adding songs, and the XL5 model has 35 hours of battery time. It also has voice recording, FM radio, and a few other bells and whistles that are mostly ancillary. It also looks pretty cool.

Seems that the detractions are that it's a little bulky, doesn't play protected files (meaning to iTunes or other downloadable support, yet) and that it has a separate docking bay which, when lost, makes the unit somewhat worthless.

Anyone else have a horror story or fairy tale they can share about this thing or the company?

mud

Post by mud »

get a creative.
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

rakesh wrote:for earbuds, i suggest
sharp md33s
shure e2c
i wouldn't get the e2cs, supremely uncomfortable. the e3cs have a smaller form, are more comfortable, and have far superior sound.

to be perfectly honest, with the rate i go through earphones i'd have to recommend the sony ex70sl. good build, sound, and value. and you won't cry when you drag them through a puddle.

rakesh1

Post by rakesh1 »

^^true, but theres also a $100 price difference between the shures

i have the ex70sls as well. they are pretty good for the price, i got mine for about 31. i think my sharps are a lot better, though, but go for about 45.

Useff

Post by Useff »

Reggie wrote:I was actually coming into this forum to see what you all know about the iAudio X5.

I do not currently own any MP3 players, and had never really thought about getting one until someone put me on to these iAudio joints. Now that I have done a little research, I think I want one.

Best aspects about this unit are that it supports the widest variety of sound files, it plays movies (when re-encoded using the supplied software), shows pics, is USB compatible and doesn't need additional software for adding songs, and the XL5 model has 35 hours of battery time. It also has voice recording, FM radio, and a few other bells and whistles that are mostly ancillary. It also looks pretty cool.

Seems that the detractions are that it's a little bulky, doesn't play protected files (meaning to iTunes or other downloadable support, yet) and that it has a separate docking bay which, when lost, makes the unit somewhat worthless.

Anyone else have a horror story or fairy tale they can share about this thing or the company?
I've heard very good things about this product.

Rakesh picked probably the worst picture of the Walkman available.

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

Cable wrote:i know u dont want an ipod but i mean the fucking NANO is unbelievable.
Word, I was thnking about getting oen of those...That shit looks insanely cool and convinient.

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

Useff wrote:
Reggie wrote:I was actually coming into this forum to see what you all know about the iAudio X5.

No doubt, thanks fellas.

And I still think that Walkman shit looks cool.

rakesh1

Post by rakesh1 »

haha, i couldnt google image it so i just picked the first one from gizmodo i saw

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

What y'all know about the iriver?

squ1d

Post by squ1d »

Not sure about all models.....but the nice one my friend had DID NOT have a shuffle 'feature'.

Feature in quotes because I was under the impression this was standard since we marvelled at CDs.

rakesh1

Post by rakesh1 »

HopeLess wrote:What y'all know about the iriver?
the iriver 6gb or whatever is supposed to be pretty nice. ive played with one at best buy. its a lot smaller than i thought it was gonna be and has that touch scroll thing like the creative

squ1d

Post by squ1d »

^^^ Yeah the H10 is what my friend had......but I just read up on it and the 2.0 firmware now was shuffle capability. The 1.0 didn't......insane. The lack of shuffle was my major problem with it, so I can recommend it otherwise.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000770038266/

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

squ1d wrote:^^^ Yeah the H10 is what my friend had......but I just read up on it and the 2.0 firmware now was shuffle capability. The 1.0 didn't......insane. The lack of shuffle was my major problem with it, so I can recommend it otherwise.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000770038266/
Interesting.

I'm about to go to best buy and check out some of these items. Thanks yall.

squ1d

Post by squ1d »

HipHoppin wrote:I just scooped the black iPod nano last week...shit is fuckin sick
Please say you didn't pay $200 for it.

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

squ1d wrote:
HipHoppin wrote:I just scooped the black iPod nano last week...shit is fuckin sick
Please say you didn't pay $200 for it.
That's how much they were at BestBuy tonight...Insane. They were sold out too.

My bro copped a Iriver and is gonna see how he likes it...I'm gonna do al ittle mroe research and try to decide...yall keep the info coming.

also, with Mp3 players like these...is it safe to run with them as logn as you have a way to strap them down? Also, where do you guys sugegst getting one? Should i order one? if so, is Amazon a good lace?

Anyways, let me know something. thanks yall.

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

Useff wrote:

Can you guys give me more info on this thing? I was reading about it on Amazon and it looks awesome. The reviewers keep saying that it doesn't sort by "ID3" tags or something and that it's kind of a big deal..what's that mean?

cuntface

Post by cuntface »

digital music generally has "tags" written into the file that provide all sorts of useful and less useful info such as artist, title, genre, composer etc. in a half decent player you can sort tracks by these tags. what this means is that if you decide one day that you want to listen to every track you have that was recorded in 1967 then you can sort by date and play all the traks from 1967 (assuming the files have been tagged correctly of course)

players without this will generally only sort files by their name which means that if you load an album onto it and want te album to play in order you gotta put the track number into the file name

i say don't get any player without id3 support, you might not care though

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

cuntface wrote:digital music generally has "tags" written into the file that provide all sorts of useful and less useful info such as artist, title, genre, composer etc. in a half decent player you can sort tracks by these tags. what this means is that if you decide one day that you want to listen to every track you have that was recorded in 1967 then you can sort by date and play all the traks from 1967 (assuming the files have been tagged correctly of course)

players without this will generally only sort files by their name which means that if you load an album onto it and want te album to play in order you gotta put the track number into the file name

i say don't get any player without id3 support, you might not care though
OHHHH...that makes sense...no I definately want to be able to sort my music normally without a huge hassle...but I also heard that they have updates you can DL...do you think they will make it possible to read the ID3 tags eventually? Does any one have any info on this thing?