Far Cry 2!

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

The Red Scare

Far Cry 2!

Post by The Red Scare »

oh man this game looks so sick. It's like Crysis meets Oblivion. It drops in a week for 360, PS3, and PC.

new trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41569.html

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

definitely my most anticipated game of the next 2 months.

im really undecided though over whether to pick up the pc version or 360.

ThaMexakin

Post by ThaMexakin »

pc if you have a good video card. keys and mouse, mods, high res is def better then 360

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

ThaMexakin wrote:pc if you have a good video card. keys and mouse, mods, high res is def better then 360
yeah i believe this game also has a level editor. that's gotta be way better on PC

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

yeah i know my pc is definitely capable of playing this on high resolutions. and the mouse keyboard combo is hard to beat. but i've just grown to really like chilling on the couch and playing.

i much preferred playing oblivion, cod4, bioshock etc on the 360, so i'm thinking this is also the type of game i'd prefer with that.

stalker, left 4 dead, ut3, counter-strike, age of empires and those style of games i will always prefer on pc.

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

manwhore wrote:
i much preferred playing oblivion, cod4, bioshock etc on the 360, so i'm thinking this is also the type of game i'd prefer with that..
True. I prefer lounging with a controller than being hunched over at the keyboard as well. I like the fact that most new PC games nowadays come with built-in 360 controller compatibility.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

I always thought this game was just a Turok knock off for some reason, but I saw some of the commercials for it and it looks really good.
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

my local pc mag just gave it 10/10.

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

arrghhhh if this game doesn't get cracked in the next couple days, i may have to actually go out and buy it :lol:

PC reviews: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/farcry2

console reviews: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... %20Cry%202

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

^^

go on!

this is definitely one of those games worth supporting :lol:

ThaMexakin

Post by ThaMexakin »

damn this game looks so dope, I just watched like 4 gameplay vids, looks more fun then crysis.

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

manwhore wrote:^^

go on!

this is definitely one of those games worth supporting :lol:
Yeah....I caved. It's the first time I've dropped 50 bones on a game since The Orange Box. It's installing now....I'll report back later with first impressions.
ThaMexakin wrote:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:31 pm Post subject:
damn this game looks so dope, I just watched like 4 gameplay vids, looks more fun then crysis.
Yeah I think it's gonna be a lot better. Crysis never really engaged me. Fighting the aliens was boring as fuck and I thought the game was just too linear for the type of gameplay it seemed to encourage. Far Cry 2 on the other hand has a completely open 20 sq. mile play area that one can traverse without any loading screens :ohsh:

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

Whew.... 6 hours later. This game is fucking incredible so far. It has it's share of problems, such as lackluster AI and a game world that's not quite as open as we were led to believe, but these niggling concerns are overshadowed by everything else that's done right. This is one of the most immersive games I think I've ever played.

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

sweet. i've decided i'm going to pick this up for pc and fallout3 for 360.

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

bought this on the weekend and spent it all playing multiplayer at a friends house.

just about to start the single player campaign.

will report back with details.

Post by 360 »

Aren't there supposed to be like 100 different endings to this game or am I thinking of another game.

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

manwhore wrote:bought this on the weekend and spent it all playing multiplayer at a friends house.
How is the multiplayer? I heard that's there's bad lag b/c there's no dedicated servers at the moment?

More thoughts on the single-player:

Things I love:

+ The explosions. By FAR the best I've ever seen in a game. Holy shit.
+ The graphics. Less technically impressive than Crysis, but more aesthetically beautiful. Watching the sun shine through leaves at sunset is remarkable.
+ The difficulty and length. This is not an easy or short game, which is a nice change of pace from most modern FPSs.
+ There's lots of ways to wreak total havoc, and it feels awesome when your well-thought-out plan works perfectly. See that enemy encampment in the distance? Try placing an IED on a truck and set it off careening downhill. Alternatively, start a fire downwind of the ammo dump and watch the fireworks.
+ The PC version comes with built-in 360 controller compatibility. There's a lot of driving, so I prefer it over the keyboard and mouse for this game.

Thinks I dislike:

-I'm supposed to be in a war zone. So why don't the factions ever fight one another? And why does everyone always attack me immediately on sight, even if I'm completing a mission for their own group?
-Bad voice actors. italwayssoundslikethey'rerushingthroughtheirscript.
-There should be a lot more ways to collect diamonds, such as having the ability to hijack convoys or something.
-Having to constantly fight through repetitive enemy checkpoints. It would be nice if it were easier to outrun enemy jeeps. I like that the game doesn't have quick travel ala Oblivion, but it would be nice to make things a bit quicker.
-Slightly boring game world. There should be more wildlife and different ways to interact with the world.

I'm still extremely impressed with this game. It's probably my game of the year so far. I'm hoping that the mod community will embrace it because there is a lot of things that should be added.

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

^^^yeah co-sign a lot of the things you pointed out there.

i didnt experience any lag at all in multi, but it was played at a 5 person lan, not over the internet so that explains that. fyi shooting hangliders is awesome fun.
The Red Scare wrote:I'm hoping that the mod community will embrace it because there is a lot of things that should be added.
i think this will definitely happen. this game has sooo much potential in modding.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Has anyone played this for the 360? I beat COD5 and I need a new shooter but I HATE alien scenario games.

Dwight Strawberry

Post by Dwight Strawberry »

Philaflava wrote:Has anyone played this for the 360? I beat COD5 and I need a new shooter but I HATE alien scenario games.
I did not like this game. I felt like I was wasting too much time driving from mission to mission and getting into annoying gun battles on the way.

It's an open world game like GTA, not sure you like these.

You should look into:

Bioshock (Best game of 2007 IMO)
Call of Duty 2 (Very good game if you haven't played yet)
Call of Duty 3 (Not too shabby either)
Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway (Demo was fun)
Left 4 Dead (You don't like Aliens, but what about Zombies!)

If you want an adventure game, the new Prince of Persia drops later this week and is getting GREAT reviews.

I really think you should give Bioshock a chance...game is non-stop fun...great story too.

Also, if you get the Alien chip off your sholder, go out and get both Gears of War ASAP.

deepfriedjellol

Post by deepfriedjellol »

gloss, go download some of the demos of the games dwight mentioned
i hated brothers in arms because of the controls, but he;s right about bioshock
if you give it the respect it deserves and pay attention to the beginning of the game, youll SHIT over the creepiness of the story line
that also has a downloadable demo you can check out

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

gonna do it tonight--thanks.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Can't decide whether to cop Far Cry 2 or Left 4 Dead.

Russian
NSFW

Post by Russian »

Spartan wrote:Can't decide whether to cop Far Cry 2 or Left 4 Dead.
get Left 2 Cry :gyeah:

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

Philaflava wrote:Has anyone played this for the 360? I beat COD5 and I need a new shooter but I HATE alien scenario games.
After putting more time into Far Cry 2 and finishing it, I'm not sure I would recommend it for $60. It's still a good game, but my initial love has been tempered quite a bit. By the last few hours of the game I was getting very bored spending 80% of my time traveling from point A to point B, ad infinitum.

Some other single-player shooters you might enjoy--

Brothers in Arm's Hell's Highway is an awesome and realistic WWII shooter (think Rainbow Six but with a Call of Duty coating), but its a short game with a shoddy multiplayer. It's not as high-intensity as COD, but its more tactical. It's definitely worth at least a rental, but I wouldn't recommend buying it until it hits $20 because you can finish it in 6-8 hours.

Bioshock - Download the demo, and you'll know immediately whether you want to buy this.

The Orange Box - This is a compilation of Half-Life 2 and its expansions, plus Portal (a first-person puzzle game) and Team Fortress 2 (an online shooter). HL2 is probably my favorite first person shooter ever. Yes there are sci-fi elements and aliens, but the vast majority of enemies you fight are human.

Or, if you're not totally set on buying a first-person shooter, the new Prince of Persia game that comes out tomorrow is supposed to be pretty incredible.
Spartan wrote:Can't decide whether to cop Far Cry 2 or Left 4 Dead.
Between those, probably Left 4 Dead.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

This game is unbelievable. In a lot of ways it's very familiar then there's a ton of little things that makes it really great.

Guns jamming.

Guns blowing up in your hand.

Starting fires and watching them spread everywhere.

Malaria fit in the middle of a battle.

I'm not sure yet if it's really worth 60 bucks but I'm leaning towards yes.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

It's less than half the price in the Christmas rush. I might cop it.

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

Man I've gotten soooo good with the mortar. I don't even need to use the tracer round anymore. That's definitely my favorite weapon.

Anyone tried the multiplayer? How does it compare to games like COD4?

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Definitely worth half price. There's a lot of game to play.