how many of you invert the Y axis on FPS's?

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Balzac

how many of you invert the Y axis on FPS's?

Post by Balzac »

I was getting my balls busted the other day while playing COD MW2 with some friends. We were playing online, die 3 times pass the controller type shit and everytime it came back to me i had to invert the axis.

Now i remember when inverted Y axis used to be the default setting in most FPS's but now i've noticed its the other way around.

It must be an age thing. My theory is it carries over from flight sims. Flight sims were technically the first type of game with a first/3rd person view and when free look was introduced into FPS it just seemed more natural to have it reversed by default. I have a hell of a time trying to play it un-inverted. In my group of friends i'm the huge minority on this one.

How many of you guys invert the Y axis?

Dwight Strawberry

Post by Dwight Strawberry »

I can't play shooters or even 3rd person adventure games without inverting the Y axis

Stunna7516

Post by Stunna7516 »

I am terrible at playing inverted, always have been.

I have some friends that liked using the crazy James Bond controls in Halo, which feel horribly awkward to me... that is looking left and right with the left stick and strafing with the right stick.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

inverted
i own a wii
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

Stunna7516 wrote:I am terrible at playing inverted, always have been.

I have some friends that liked using the crazy James Bond controls in Halo, which feel horribly awkward to me... that is looking left and right with the left stick and strafing with the right stick.
ahh yes, the turok control style (first time i noticed that config was in turok for 64)

what they need to implement in all FPS games is a button that will instantly do a 180. nothing is worse that realizing someone is shooting at you from behind and you have to wait while your guy turns around.

A__TRAIN

Post by A__TRAIN »

Used to play invert but i guess i just changed along with the industry.

ps. i got a friend who plays halo with bumper jumper controls, that shit is annoying in a controller rotation.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

A__TRAIN wrote:Used to play invert but i guess i just changed along with the industry.

ps. i got a friend who plays halo with bumper jumper controls, that shit is annoying in a controller rotation.
did you make a conscious effort to switch? do u remember what the learning curve was like?

i'm wondering if putting in the time to switch to the norm might improve my gaming skillz. i remember the switch from pure keyboard to mouse/keyboard in quake2 was rocky but improved deathmatch performance immeasurably.

ric

Post by ric »

i cant invert and i dont know why people MUST invert. its wierd. if youre going to invert one axis you may as well invert the other but why even bother at this point. when i want to look at something why should i press the opposite direction for up and down and the same direction right and left? :killacam:

some friends try to pass off inverting like its a skill that makes you more gangster or something. like....no....its just some inoccuous preference :naswtf:

ROSARIO

Post by ROSARIO »

I only remember it being standard in goldeneye...never really played an fps again on a console till halo

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

ric wrote:i cant invert and i dont know why people MUST invert. its wierd. if youre going to invert one axis you may as well invert the other but why even bother at this point. when i want to look at something why should i press the opposite direction for up and down and the same direction right and left? :killacam:

some friends try to pass off inverting like its a skill that makes you more gangster or something. like....no....its just some inoccuous preference :naswtf:
i don't think its a preference as much as a learned behavior from back in the flight sim days. When you play flight sims on a console i bet you invert?

ric

Post by ric »

never got into airplane games at all.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

when I play flight games I still invert but FPS I rock regularly.

wheels

Post by wheels »

When Halo 1 came out I used to invert it because I'd been playing goldeneye pretty religously up until that point. My buddies had gone to standard controls and it was really fucking up rotations. They were also kicking my ass.

So when they wanted me to switch I didn't need a whole lot of convincig. It took a while to adjust, but I got used to it and got a lot better at fps games. For me at least it's a more natural setup, my brain works quicker I guess.

In the same vein I've played plenty of FPS games with a mouse and keyboard, and while I agree that it's a superior control scheme I'm much better with a controller.

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

Game controllers, absolutely need to invert.

On the rare occasions where I'm playing a FPS on a computer and have a mouse, I don't.

bent

Post by bent »

ric wrote:i cant invert and i dont know why people MUST invert. its wierd. if youre going to invert one axis you may as well invert the other but why even bother at this point. when i want to look at something why should i press the opposite direction for up and down and the same direction right and left? :killacam:
I have to invert.

The way I hold the controller I'm more pressing forward than up. I look at the analog stick like the characters head, pressing it forward makes the character look down.

Makes a lot more sense IMO

Post by 360 »

I made a conscious effort to switch from inverted to normal.

I do remember back in the days, everything came inverted(most likely from the flying games of nintendo i.e. top gun).

I have noticed that if you give someone a controller who has never really played video games, they naturally play the inverted style.

It is most likely from the perspective one has when holding the controller. One would pull back to go up.

I use the bumper jumper set up when I used to play Halo. I wish it existed in COD. It really is much more efficient in that, when you jump, you still have full control of the aiming recticle.

I blame Top Gun.

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

bent wrote:I have to invert.

The way I hold the controller I'm more pressing forward than up. I look at the analog stick like the characters head, pressing it forward makes the character look down.

Makes a lot more sense IMO

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Have always had to invert since playing X-Wing on the PC as a kid.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

Combo7 wrote:Have always had to invert since playing X-Wing on the PC as a kid.
LOL; man that brings back memories. i loved that series of games. xwing,tie fighter, xwing versus tie fighter.

i remember pirating tie fighter back in the day, and in order to crack it you had to download a hex editor, load up the exe file and find a specific pattern of numbers to change. shit was wild.

we need another good space combat game.

well i'm glad to see inverted axis is in the majority on :phila: i thought i was slippin' by not learning the "new" method.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

360 wrote:I made a conscious effort to switch from inverted to normal.
do you think this improved your gaming skill?

Dragondude R

Post by Dragondude R »

Used to invert all the time, but I also made the switch and I pretty much keep it default.

Nuke
I Hate Blacks & Jews

Post by Nuke »

I'm not sure if I invert the Y or X axis. I can't remember. I know that since playing Ocarina of Time I need everything set up that way. I remember borrowing Hitman 2 from someone and I couldn't invert the axis. Everything was backwards. I tried getting used to it but couldn't. So annoying.

Post by 360 »

Balzac wrote:
360 wrote:I made a conscious effort to switch from inverted to normal.
do you think this improved your gaming skill?
Yes.

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

I always invert, always have done. I agree it must be a flight sim thing.

citizen

Post by citizen »

HipHoppin wrote:never played any flight sims but i stay inverted just b/c of goldeneye