The next 360/PS3 firmware updates.....

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Sigma

The next 360/PS3 firmware updates.....

Post by Sigma »

The next 360 update will enable the use of USB drives as memory units. You can connect up to 2 drives/sticks at once and use a maximum of 16 GB on each, so 32 GB of storage in total at any one time. You will be able to install games to USB storage too and it will retain the same functionality as current memory units. You can also choose how much of the USB device you want to format for use as a memory unit, from 1-16 GB, so you could format a 32 GB stick with 16 GB for 360 use and the other 16 GB would be accessible under Windows for storage of regular files. MS will be releasing a branded 16 GB USB drive in partnership with Sandisk, but any USB drive will work. The udpate is out on April 6th.

Not so good news on the PS3 side - the next firmware update, released April 1st, will remove the "Install Other OS" option, so no more Linux. If you have Linux installed already, you will have to do a backup, format and restore of your PS3's drive. If you want to keep Linux, you can choose not to update, but you won't be able to sign into PSN or play copy-protected movies.

barknee

Post by barknee »

v. happy about the use of memory sticks for the 360, long overdue
ImageImageImage

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

thats awesome about the 360.

i been putting off getting a new hard drive because those things are ridiculously expensive.

now i can install mass effect 2, bong bong.

ps3 one doesnt affect me.

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

360 update is sick.

PS3 update is kinda wack, but overall has zero effect on me.

Chale Holmes

Post by Chale Holmes »

Dope!!

Fucka ps3!

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

BigCat8 wrote:PS3 update is kinda wack, but overall has zero effect on me.
Yep. It sucks for the minority that use it, especially as 3 weeks ago, Sony said this: -
The feature of "Install Other OS" was removed from the new "Slim" PS3 model to focus on delivering games and other entertainment content.

Please be assured that SCE is committed to continue the support for previously sold models that have the "Install Other OS" feature and that this feature will not be disabled in future firmware releases.
It won't affect me though.