is it just me or does gaming feel like fucking work nowadays

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

ric

is it just me or does gaming feel like fucking work nowadays

Post by ric »

im serious man. gaming has gotten ridiculous. travel 20 minutes to get to place x. obtain 20000000 items, attempt 3459 conversation options and schlep them 20 minutes to place z. obviously im talking about a fallout type game there but i mean so many video games are just so fucking labor intensive and they rely on the labor intensive sort of thing to produce "quality"

even in games like prince of persia where all you do is run around and jump around and shit you still got to get those fucking light seeds. you have to rack your fucking brain constantly on the lookout for those hidden little fuckers or little hidden alleys and platforms that may or may not actually help you reach them and then youve got to deal with the "physical" limitations the game puts in like how the prince can sometimes survive a 50 ft fall and sometimes not or that the prince can survive a 50 ft fall but not a 60 ft fall

then you have inventory management games where you spend 4 minutes managing inventory for every 10 minutes of game play and you still have to deal with these strange limitations. "gimme an egg" "I CANT RIGHT NOW" when nothing is going on

or those moments in games where youre supposed to just fucking randomly guess what the developers want you to do when there appears to be a better way that you are somehow restricted from doing.

i have never played a madden game but from what ive heard those games dynasty modes are like full time fucking jobs. ncaa for ps2s dynasty mode was labor intensive enough. i mean christ, what is the fucking criteria so i can avoid recruits with no discipline and shit? i didnt buy this game to simulate social reality (which it doesnt) i bought this game to set up a team and play with that team

ric

Post by ric »

and its not just the immersive type games. fucking marvel ultimate alliance has more repetitive button mashing then fucking....everything

i mean what about board games? motherfuckers just forgot about board games.

monopoly: roll dice, move piece, buy shit or dont, collect rent, make deals, think of ways to fuck people over or make your position stronger. thats it and that motherfucker is one of the most classic game ever despite the fact that in order to purchase property x you dont need to run around and do 50 fucking side missions

yall feel me?

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

ric wrote:and its not just the immersive type games. fucking marvel ultimate alliance has more repetitive button mashing then fucking....everything

i mean what about board games? motherfuckers just forgot about board games.

monopoly: roll dice, move piece, buy shit or dont, collect rent, make deals, think of ways to fuck people over or make your position stronger. thats it and that motherfucker is one of the most classic game ever despite the fact that in order to purchase property x you dont need to run around and do 50 fucking side missions

yall feel me?
WRONG, try playing Dynasty Warriors franchise, or the newly release Ninety Nine Nights II, those games are nothing but button mashing and I LOVE THOSE GAMES.

ric

Post by ric »

what is dynasty warriors and ninety nine nights 2?

games sound like work

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/71lmnuPvb3g&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/71lmnuPvb3g&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zj2Y7psCB08&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zj2Y7psCB08&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

how i felt about the newest GTAIV, only one i havent beat and replayed endlessly since rockstar took over the franchise

Sir Loin

Post by Sir Loin »

Most games worth a damn involve what you have defined as "work" especially non-videogames(every sport, chess, board games, etc.).

If you want a game that doesnt involve "work" play any FPS for long enough and they become very instinctual.

There are tons of casual games that can be played online for the PC. And the Wii also has many titles that allow you to do whatever you want.

But games by their very nature have rules that for better or worse make players play the game in what can be described as a restrictive manner. The trick is finding a game thats well designed enough that playing it doesnt feel like work.

For full disclosure Im a huge nerd and I think about this shit all the time hence the long winded response

Beastly Swagger

Post by Beastly Swagger »

Yea shit's are mad too complicated these days.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

I've given up on Heavy Rain for this exact reason (it also got really buggy).
moved by duck muscles

ric

Post by ric »

Most games worth a damn involve what you have defined as "work" especially non-videogames(every sport, chess, board games, etc.).
sports? whatever. but theres a line between performing tasks that the game is based on and working your ass off trying to have a good time, you feel me?

Dragondude R

Post by Dragondude R »

i never finished a lot of games because I got into the side quests, wanted to be a perfectionist, got sick of it, and quit playing

Sir Loin

Post by Sir Loin »

ric wrote:
sports? whatever. but theres a line between performing tasks that the game is based on and working your ass off trying to have a good time, you feel me?
Def. Some game types lend themselves to the work-like feel especially RPG's.

ric

Post by ric »

word those rpgs are fucking wild nowadays

Kalistoga

Post by Kalistoga »

i never finished fable 2 because of this. i was already near the end, til one day i just stared at the box and thought about all the shit i have to go through if i pop that cd into the xbox. i haven't played the game since.

ric

Post by ric »

i honestly have not played Demon Souls in months because i know the kind of legwork one has to put in in order to move one fucking cloudy gate forward at a time. if you didnt have to go back to the nexus every 2 seconds to level up and then have go through EVERY AGONIZING THING YOU JUST FUCKING WENT THROUGH AGAIN TO GET BACK TO WHERE YOU WERE, then id be cool with it

ric

Post by ric »

why do RPGs have to be so fucking long? why do they have to make every RPG like 50 hours minimum? why dont they just make a solid story based 25-35 hour game and sell it for 40 instead of 60? shit is wack

wheels

Post by wheels »

You should avoid MMOs at all costs.

Sir Loin

Post by Sir Loin »

wheels wrote:You should avoid MMOs at all costs.
Yeah this is the main reason I avoid them but some arent as quest centric and those are the ones I can tolerate

Indivisual

Post by Indivisual »

ric wrote:i honestly have not played Demon Souls in months because i know the kind of legwork one has to put in in order to move one fucking cloudy gate forward at a time. if you didnt have to go back to the nexus every 2 seconds to level up and then have go through EVERY AGONIZING THING YOU JUST FUCKING WENT THROUGH AGAIN TO GET BACK TO WHERE YOU WERE, then id be cool with it
you're doing it wrong. you dont go back to the nexus every time you have enough souls to level up. you have to finish that level without dying. that's what makes the game so good (and in the beginning, frustrating). the stakes are high
IMHO, there is no lyricist now or before that can match the lyrical dexterity of Qwel.

Sir Loin

Post by Sir Loin »

Indivisual wrote:
ric wrote:i honestly have not played Demon Souls in months because i know the kind of legwork one has to put in in order to move one fucking cloudy gate forward at a time. if you didnt have to go back to the nexus every 2 seconds to level up and then have go through EVERY AGONIZING THING YOU JUST FUCKING WENT THROUGH AGAIN TO GET BACK TO WHERE YOU WERE, then id be cool with it
you're doing it wrong. you dont go back to the nexus every time you have enough souls to level up. you have to finish that level without dying. that's what makes the game so good (and in the beginning, frustrating). the stakes are high
co-signed demon souls is great one of my favorite games to come out in a long time

wheels

Post by wheels »

Sir Loin wrote:
Yeah this is the main reason I avoid them but some arent as quest centric and those are the ones I can tolerate
Quests are fine, the ones where you have to go out and kill random shit for days on end to level are unbearable.

Aion
SWG
WAR
etc.

The new Bioware MMO will be the shit, truss

Sir Loin

Post by Sir Loin »

wheels wrote:
Sir Loin wrote:
Quests are fine, the ones where you have to go out and kill random shit for days on end to level are unbearable.

Aion
SWG
WAR
etc.

The new Bioware MMO will be the shit, truss
Yeah Ill be playing it for sure

ric

Post by ric »

Indivisual wrote:
good look towards the end i kind of had that idea but it got too fucking frustrating dying all the time and not having anything to show for it. i am at the beginning though. i mean that game is fucking huge
You should avoid MMOs at all costs.
oh i do for sure. online gaming has virtually no appeal to me period, especially the dudes who play online have tendencies to do nothing else but play online

sleddog710

Post by sleddog710 »

Man fable 2 was a huge disappoint. The ending was so ghey.. One shot to the dome? The boss in fable 1 was so much better.