Sprint Phone? Evo 4G? Blackberry?

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Sprint Phone? Evo 4G? Blackberry?

Post by Trademark »

What's the deal homeslices? Any recommendations? My wife has the Evo 4G and it's awesome but its freaking giant...Can blackberrys do the same thing with less BS? It just seems like she's carrying around an ipad in her pocket... What does anyone, everyone, recommend?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I have Sprint too and was about to get out of my Palm Pre and go to this phone, or at least try to.

I'd like to hear more on the EVO.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Her phone is dope. But coming from apple devices it seems convoluted and prepackaged with bullshit. I cant explain it exactly but i am lost when i grab her phone..with the research I did tonight I am leaning to samsung epic 4g.

SuperFeen

Post by SuperFeen »

the Evo is dope, I upgraded from a Palm Pre and was blown away by the awesomeness, if you've never had an android device there's a learning curve to it but I definitely don't see it as convoluted, once you learn to manage widgets and homescreens it's pretty damn slick.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I have been with my Pre since launch. This is probably my 5th Pre too because they were made like shit early on, but I really do enjoy the phone's size, sleekness and functionality.

Somehow I convinced Sprint to upgrade me at no cost but they just wanna give me the Hero. I'm going to see if I can just pay the difference and get the EVO, but I agree it does look rather lumpy.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

I love my evo and I hate blackberries. The size of the phone doesn't bother me, it does everything I need it to do better than most phones on the market. Definitely >> Iphone and blackberries.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

well I think I'm ordering the Epic today, it does everything the EVO does but also has a keyboard and is .3 of an inch smaller, it also organizes apps exactly like an apple device....I'll take it!!!

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

My brother has the EPic and he swears by it. The reason I didn't get it is because A) it was $50 more than the Evo and B) (the main reason) moving parts piss me off, the moving parts were the reason my Palm Pre broke.

bmurf75

Post by bmurf75 »

I have played with the EVO and I really like the hardware. I don't really care for HTC Sense UI but you can get more of a stock feel by using another launcher like ADW.Launcher or Launcher Pro. The only real complaint that I've heard about the EVO is the battery life. If there is a way to shut off 4g, I'm sure that it would save the battery a lot.

My opinion of Samsung devices are that they are shit. They look nice but usually feel like cheap plastic toys and they perform poorly. But that is just my opinion. I don't know about the Epic, but the Galaxy series is plagued by poor GPS reception.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

bmurf75 wrote:I have played with the EVO and I really like the hardware. I don't really care for HTC Sense UI but you can get more of a stock feel by using another launcher like ADW.Launcher or Launcher Pro. The only real complaint that I've heard about the EVO is the battery life. If there is a way to shut off 4g, I'm sure that it would save the battery a lot.

My opinion of Samsung devices are that they are shit. They look nice but usually feel like cheap plastic toys and they perform poorly. But that is just my opinion. I don't know about the Epic, but the Galaxy series is plagued by poor GPS reception.

my wife's EVO has shit for battery life, that motherfucker is constantly plugged in. my brother in law has one too and his is dead all the time as well...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

The Epic looks beast and I love a keyboard but it is a lot of $.

I just emailed the district manager so I'm hoping to get a response. Really would prefer the EVO than the Hero. I give a fuck about 4G cuz I am not paying extra for that.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Philaflava wrote:The Epic looks beast and I love a keyboard but it is a lot of $.

I just emailed the district manager so I'm hoping to get a response. Really would prefer the EVO than the Hero. I give a fuck about 4G cuz I am not paying extra for that.

Its only $50 more than the EVO....Here is my deal right now, I'm quitting the family business and moving to Texas, our company phones are cheap little bullshit phones with a local provider. My dad always thought a phone should just call people and thats it, so I'm losing the Zack Morris and upgrading to 2010... My wife already has the EVO through Sprint so I'm upgrading and for $50 more I can get the Epic...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Word but I'm not trying to come out of the pocket AT ALL. Epic is nice though.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Philaflava wrote:Word but I'm not trying to come out of the pocket AT ALL. Epic is nice though.

I see.

Post by 360 »

I have an Evo. It's pretty good. The screen is big, the 4g only activates when I am in a large city, and the battery sucks unless you get a battery saving app(that's the case with all smart phones, though).

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

360 wrote:I have an Evo. It's pretty good. The screen is big, the 4g only activates when I am in a large city, and the battery sucks unless you get a battery saving app(that's the case with all smart phones, though).

what's a battery saving app?

Zeed Stun

Post by Zeed Stun »

I have the epic and I would highly recommend it. although, the wait for froyo has gotten to the point of ridiculous. its even been rumored that the evo will receive 2.3 before the epic receives 2.2

Post by 360 »

Trademark wrote:
360 wrote:I have an Evo. It's pretty good. The screen is big, the 4g only activates when I am in a large city, and the battery sucks unless you get a battery saving app(that's the case with all smart phones, though).

what's a battery saving app?
An app that extends your battery life.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

No I mean name one

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

i really like the mytouch4g i just got.

battery life hasnt been a problem
hd 720p camcorder
flash for pics/light for videos
can be used as a wi fi hotspot
the speech to text/overall voice commands are awesome
(send text to odium. you smell. send.)
came with Rock Band <3
slim as all get down
and im not as annoyed with the touch keyboard as i thought id be
speech to text helps alot with that.
front facing camera for sechsy chats :gyeah:

i hear the evo is lovely
dont like bberries
iphones :larry:

carry on

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

My epic comes today. Will report back...

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

my boy got an epic.
he loves it.
i got a droid x.
i love it.
dont have all those faggotty social apps running in the background of your phone that need to use data to update and the battery life should be decent to good.
also, you can get some good how-tos for your phone from androidforums.com.

froyo doesnt appear to be all that.

Drastik

Post by Drastik »

EVO battery life is only bad if you live on your cellphone's internet. I don't spend upwards of 5 minutes on my browser because of how fast it is. What I've found to be one of the largest battery drainers are the 7 different homescreens. With a 3rd party home launcher like LauncherPro I can cut down that homescreen count to 4. All I use anyway is a screen with Favorite Contacts, a screen with my Plume (Twitter) widget, a screen with a widger that combines all of my social network news feeds, and a screen with switches for phone services like Wi-Fi, Bluetook, 4G, etc.... Those extra three homescreens just drain life if you have widgets that constantly update on them.

Also, avoid task killers. They do more harm than good. Only use it for a force quit if an app locks up. Most services will re-open as soon as you force quit them. This means your phone is just constantly draining battery by closing and automatically re-opening shit.

Android markets are pretty extensive and their "all-free" markets are cool, too. Try out this modded market called APKtor. It's a modified Aptoide market with the same concept of repositories that keep a list and server filled with paid apps that you don't need to pay for. Just find a list of repository links, put them in APKtor and BOOM! Free apps without having to connect to a computer.
"Anything posted/said by Drastik is false and should not be taken seriously."