Little Big Planet 2

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Little Big Planet 2

Post by Trademark »

Copping today!!!!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Oy_a3oCDzRA?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Oy_a3oCDzRA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Game is amazing you guys are sleeping..

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Are the controls still shitty?

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

the first one was fun and all, and it actually got my wife playing vids with me, but still, i dunno. maybe i'll cop when it's greatest hits or in the $20 bin.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Are the controls still shitty?
That's basically why I'm not getting it, at least not until it's cheap. I didn't like switching between planes and I found the platforming very floaty and imprecise. For people who want to create their own levels, LBP is absolutely superb, but I found it just OK as a player. Fun in co-op though.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Sigma wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:Are the controls still shitty?
That's basically why I'm not getting it, at least not until it's cheap. I didn't like switching between planes and I found the platforming very floaty and imprecise. For people who want to create their own levels, LBP is absolutely superb, but I found it just OK as a player. Fun in co-op though.

they fixed the controls...

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Not according to the reviews I've read!
Forget the rose bouquets being thrown around the Internet for Little Big Planet 2. I know, I know, you really want to like the game. Yes, yes, I know that IGN gave it a 15 out of 10. For others, itג€™s a Playstation 3 exclusive, which means, good or bad, itג€™s going to be an AWESOME game because itג€™s a Playstation 3 exclusive. Then thereג€™s the rest of you that genuinely liked Little Big Planet and are looking for more of it.

Gamers like me? Well, gamers like me just want the damn controls to work.

Yes, Little Big Planet 2 is doing all kinds of new things with itג€™s map maker. Yes, youג€™ll be able to build ridiculously cool worlds to run around in. Yes, youג€™ll be able to recreate World 1-1 from Super Mario Bros. Yes, it has all the charm of the original. The problem? The controls are still middling, at best.

First off, thereג€™s a noticeable input lag. This lag is, well, frankly, itג€™s unconscionable in a platformer. In my experience with LBP 2, when jumping the input lag is like this: press the jump and on release, THEN your sack boy will jump. Sure, youג€™ll get used to it, but how long will that take? At CES, I asked the producer who was showing the game off on the floor about the controls and he basically said that they canג€™t change the controls because of the thousands of man hours of content that was created for the first game would not be compatible. Honestly, Iג€™d give up all of that content for tighter controls. Wonג€™t the user created content for LBP 2 be even better with better and more user friendly tools?

Second, the floaty jumping is still present. I dunno if itג€™s my predilection toward enjoying 2D Mario games, but if I canג€™t precisely jump where I need to, then thereג€™s a controller or two thatג€™s going to get shattered during bouts of white hot frustration. Nobody likes a broken controller. Thereג€™s no denying it, the jumping is justג€¦ odd. I guess there are physics sliders that may allow for you to play around with that, but, in the levels I played, the default jumping was NOT fun.

Finally, look, I understand that half of the fun is the whimsy and world building. I get that. I understand that LBP 2 may not be intended to be a hardcore platformer. Ok, no problemג€¦

But when did we start forgiving terrible controls in video games?

Fans of LBP, donג€™t despair, youג€™ll love LBP 2. For the rest of us who were waiting for them to fix the bad controls of LBP in LBP2, well, keep waiting.
http://sarcasticgamer.com/wp/index.php/ ... rible.html

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

my only problem with the controls was moving in the foreground and background. The computer would decide for you most of the time and hammering on the joystick would not alleviate the problem. This time it reacts the moment you hit the joystick and it is mostly up to you, the computer has seemingly left you alone. As far as the jumping goes, I never had an issue in LBP 1 so I'm one of those gamers he is talking about who isn't a whiney bitch and loves the game. I've NEVER noticed any lag or anything else in response to how I control and how sackboy reacts...

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

not sure how i had a double post separated by 5 other posts.
Last edited by jredd109 on Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

I'm playing the first one right now. Got it with the controller bundle. Really enjoying it, great way to mellow out after all the brutally dark games I usually play.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Sir Loin

Post by Sir Loin »

loving this game. Media Molecule is one of the only companies that i feel truly gets it.