Post by Req »

F.U. MOOLAH

wheels

Post by wheels »

The release date is Spring, 2011. Duh.

Preordered

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

this needs to be on other platforms. fuck..

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I think it's out around November. Gold farmers are gonna be busy this year.

Combat looks great.

<object width="853" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8e-Fl4D2NOE?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8e-Fl4D2NOE?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Req

Post by Req »

Spartan wrote:I think it's out around November.
Star Wars Galaxies closes in December, so yeah, a Nov release is probably the best bet

sux that its just straight MMO tho, wouldve liked a single player option also.
F.U. MOOLAH

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Yeah, I would have preferred KOTOR3.

wheels

Post by wheels »

Edit!
Last edited by wheels on Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

What are the instances like?

Post by 360 »

Wheels, tell us about this game. You know enough about MMO's so answer questions. Spartan has made a good start.

Also, what are the pc requirements for it?

wheels

Post by wheels »

OS - Windows XP, Vista/7
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better
RAM - Windows XP: 1.5GB Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB PCs using a built-in graphical chipset, 2GB RAM recommended.
Video - ATI X1800 or better* nVidia 7800 or better* Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better*
DVD-ROM - 8x or better *Minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM and Shader 3.0 or better support.

Here's what I found for system reqs. The general feeling is, if you can run WOW on full settings you can run this on medium/high. I've seen everything on low/off and it still looks great. My machine was fairly high end three years ago, I'm not anticipating any problems.

Instances are basically the same. The trash is weaker but there's more of it. They put in all kinds of story elements, triggered events, etc., which sounds cool but I bet it'll get old fast. In the starter instances you can get by without heals and tanks, so that's nice. There's videos of the first couple instances that they showed at comicon and stuff like that.

Edit: Yeah, PM me an email address

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

Count me in for wishing this was KOTOR 3 too. The KOTOR association sort of bugs me. Except that it's Bioware and it's Star Wars, what correlation is there? This might end up being my first MMO if the social/teamwork aspect is dynamic enough and the story and writing are able to maintain Bioware standards.
the boy is the father to the man

Req

Post by Req »

any more news on this? Hard to believe we're almost 3 months from the end of Q4 and still don't have a release date.
F.U. MOOLAH

wheels

Post by wheels »

Unconfirmed release date is 10 weeks from now, so you're looking at Dec. 1 maybe. They're doing a beta that's as close to open as they're going to get over the next month or so. I don't know any more about it than that.

There's plenty of info out there on the game, check:

http://darthhater.com/ and http://torsyndicate.com/ for legit info, http://www.betacake.net/ and http://alterswtor.com for beta leaks.

Post by 360 »

The problem that I'm having with this game is the fact that there are far too many cut-scenes. I'm sure they can be skipped and I'm sure the quest info is automatically transported to a quest log so it shouldn't effect the flow of the game when playing with other people.

However, there is the famous 'answer wheel' which seems like it will prevent all cut scene dialogue from being quickly skipped.

I just can't see this not impeding the flow of an mmo.

Cut scene in instances and the like are a different story, of course.

wheels

Post by wheels »

^They can easily be skipped, until you get to the answer wheel. In solo play this is just a matter of mashing on the spacebar and then clicking something. In group play you have to wait for everyone to pick a response, there's a roll, and the player who wins gets social points and their answer is used.

You get credit for whatever you picked.

They've shown how all this works and it's pretty painless.

The main appeal is story arc, instances, etc. Core story elements and shit like that. This is supposedly where you get your dark/light side points and make decisions that affect the game.

Post by 360 »

Dark/Light points?

You you could be a sith inquisitor and use the light side of the force?

wheels

Post by wheels »

Each side can earn light or dark side points based on the decisions you make. Certain items require different levels of dark/light/neutral standing to equip. The difference between a light side and dark side item will be purely cosmetic, very little stat differences if any. So far, there's nothing confirmed about gaining access to new or different abilities based on your light/dark alignment, but it may affect the way NPCs act towards you. It also may affect the way your character looks. Think palpatine.

It's more of a story device and a way to provide variety in character appearance, jydging from what's been revealed

Russian
NSFW

Post by Russian »

Req

Post by Req »

F.U. MOOLAH

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

that's a nice glimpse of the end game content. really looks action packed. if i had a new pc i might have copped this.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

This is out next month, anyone copping this and are you gonna role a panda?

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xzsD2iO918U?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xzsD2iO918U?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

wheels

Post by wheels »

This is in open beta this weekend, and the NDA has been lifted.

Copping for sure, dunno about pandas AS OF YET

Russian
NSFW

Post by Russian »

How much is it a month?

Req

Post by Req »

IGN doing a livestream on this for 4 hours, starts at 12pm PST today:

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/121/1213066p1.html
F.U. MOOLAH

Req

Post by Req »

Russian wrote:How much is it a month?
Will I need to purchase a monthly subscription in order to play Star Wars: The Old Republic?
Yes, a monthly subscription is required to play Star Wars: The Old Republic. Players will be able to select one of three different subscription options:
1 Month Subscription: $14.99 (
F.U. MOOLAH

Req

Post by Req »

Wheels, what sort of specs are recommended for this? I know what the product listing says but I usually find those inaccurate. Have u seen any feedback from users re this?
F.U. MOOLAH

Russian
NSFW

Post by Russian »

Req wrote:
Russian wrote:How much is it a month?
Will I need to purchase a monthly subscription in order to play Star Wars: The Old Republic?
Yes, a monthly subscription is required to play Star Wars: The Old Republic. Players will be able to select one of three different subscription options:
1 Month Subscription: $14.99 (

HomeSkillet

Post by HomeSkillet »

When I did play WOW I mostly solo quested and explored for about 4 months.

Was pretty rewarding experience.

Got relatively far in the game (for when I was playing - near the beginning of WOW's life cycle) had a fun time.

Got bored, quit. Still have fond memories. If done right this will satisfy the KOTOR crowd with plenty of single player story arcs (prolly 2 to 3 KOTOR games worth) and then will have other shit.

Hope that this is that because I will rerape my MMO hymen for this game i Think

wheels

Post by wheels »

Req wrote:Wheels, what sort of specs are recommended for this? I know what the product listing says but I usually find those inaccurate. Have u seen any feedback from users re this?
If you can run wow on full/high settings, you'll be able to run this on medium settings. That's the easiest way I can think of to describe it.

The graphics are designed to run on machines that are up to 4 years old because they need to get a lot of subs. It looks great though, a definite step up from most MMOs I've seen, but you don't need and won't benefit from a super high end computer. Most newish rigs should run this fine.

I have a quad core with a couple nvidia 9800gt cards hooked up with sli. Got it maybe 3 years ago and I can get 45-50 fps on full settings at 1900x1200ish resolution. Looks great.