↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Brokewax

Next Gen consoles to lock out used games

Post by Brokewax »

& drop backwards compatibility

http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-play ... e-details/
SO LONG, PS3 GAMES

Remember how the PlayStation 3 swiftly dropped the ability to play PS2 games? Well, our main source tell us the Orbis won't even bother, and that Sony has no plans to offer backwards compatibility for its existing catalogue of PS3 games.

SO LONG, USED GAMES

Just like the next Xbox/Durango we've heard from multiple sources that the Orbis will likewise have some kind of anti-used games measures built into the console. Here's how our main source says it's currently shaping up: new games for the system will be available one of two ways, either on a Blu-Ray disc or as a PSN download (yes, even full retail titles). If you buy the disc, it must be locked to a single PSN account, after which you can play the game, save the whole thing to your HDD, or peg it as "downloaded" in your account history and be free to download it at a later date.

Don't think you can simply buy the disc and stay offline, though; like many PC games these days, you'll need to have a PSN account and be online to even get the thing started. UPDATE - Since some people seem to have taken this to mean the console requires an "always on" intenet connection, we've heard nothing about that. All we've heard is that you need to authenticate a new game online via the PSN.

If you then decide to trade that disc in, the pre-owned customer picking it up will be limited in what they can do. While our sources were unclear on how exactly the pre-owned customer side of things would work, it's believed used games will be limited to a trial mode or some other form of content restriction, with consumers having to pay a fee to unlock/register the full game.

This would allow used games to continue to be sold at outlets such as GameStop, while also appeasing major publishers who would no longer have to implement their own haphazard approaches to "online passes".

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: / :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Terrible.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Not buying.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Ya Gamestops already threatening they aren't gonna sell PS4

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chump change
The Mayor

Post by chump change »

some ole bullshit

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

This isn't official, just conjecture/rumors at this point right?
I'm guessing this never happens, cause if one of Sony/Microsoft does this and the other doesn't, gamers are going to flock to the console without the restrictions.
It would be a death sentence.

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

Gosh, aren't video games fun? :err:

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Tommy Bunz wrote:I'm guessing this never happens, cause if one of Sony/Microsoft does this and the other doesn't, gamers are going to flock to the console without the restrictions.
I said the exact same thing when the rumour appeared about the next Xbox not playing used games, but now that there are rumours of both of them not doing it, I think there could actually be a chance that these rumours are true.

There's no particular reason to believe that these rumours are true though, so I'll reserve judgement until we know the facts.

Dwight Strawberry

Post by Dwight Strawberry »

I remember bringing RBI Baseball and Double Dragon to my friends houses when I was a kid. It sucks that kids might no be able to do that anymore these days.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Yeah either they all have to do it, and they'd almost have to illegally collude to do so, or none of them do it. I've been a pretty loyal Sony guy since the PS1 but I'd jump ship to xbox without a second thought if it didn't have these restrictions and ps4 did.

I understand why they'd want to limit the used game market in a pure business sense but its also pretty fucking gay of them to try to destroy as the gaming industry is the only media that hasn't been raped by the death of physical media/illegal downloads.

wheels

Post by wheels »

I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to make a move to direct downloads, and this seems like a big part of the plan.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Yeah either they all have to do it, and they'd almost have to illegally collude to do so, or none of them do it.
Agreed.

As gay as it is, it really wouldn't affect me. I like the idea and used to do it, but I never bring games to friends houses or buy used games. I am a loyal PS guy but still would jump ship if only they did it.

Post by 360 »

Highly doubtful.

That would destroy the gaming community and industry.

The elimination of the backwards compatibility component doesn't even bother me.

They simply need to increase new purchase incentives. Basically, the opposite of what they are doing now such as release date DLC that isn't free, restricted pre-order reward content, and the $10 "online pass" that is free if the game is bought new.

The last one, at least, can be defined as incentive.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

360 wrote: They simply need to increase new purchase incentives. Basically, the opposite of what they are doing now such as release date DLC that isn't free, restricted pre-order reward content, and the $10 "online pass" that is free if the game is bought new.

Actually a pretty great idea on how to address the issue.
Although I doubt that game companies will want to give away that stuff as I'm sure there profit margin on extra content sold online is significantly higher than new disc sales.

But making free online pass with a new game and requiring people who buy the game used to pay a small fee to reregister the game sounds reasonable to me.

wheels

Post by wheels »

360 wrote:Highly doubtful.

That would destroy the gaming community and industry.
No it wouldn't.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

So when's the Wii U dropping?

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Combo7 wrote:So when's the Wii U dropping?
Q4 of this year I think. Definitely this year though.

ric

Post by ric »

forcing people to get online is wild retarded but eventually the shit will be 100% discless, i have no doubt.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

no talks of nintendo pulling this type of bullshit? maybe people will flock to their system then.

i wonder how big of an issue used games are. obviously sony & microsoft think they're forgoing a lot of revenue with this used shit. say they both implement it. in theory they could have a firmware update that reverses the process if their collusion breaks down.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

WiiU is expected to only be a bit more powerful than current systems, if that

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

woooooooooow this is utter, complete bullshit.

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

could not work with the FGC, methinks. As much as a disaster as SFXT is (gem sets, even for casuals), it would be even worse for tourny play

None

Post by None »

Well, I guess if this is true the PS3 is my last gaming console most likely.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

360 wrote:They simply need to increase new purchase incentives. Basically, the opposite of what they are doing now such as release date DLC that isn't free, restricted pre-order reward content, and the $10 "online pass" that is free if the game is bought new.

:bow: :bow:

IMO they could even make trivial, free release date DLC at practically no cost given the investment in most major games. People will play a game for an extra 10 hours to get a marginally different new outfit. Throw 'em an outfit or a different colored horse or a pair of sunglasses for the main character and in the weird, faggoty world of gaming that's a pretty big positive incentive for pre-orders.

Dragondude R

Post by Dragondude R »

None wrote:Well, I guess if this is true the PS3 is my last gaming console most likely.
lol word I thought this when I first got it and was all :bow: