MMO Thread

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

yes but they already have their casual cash cow...hopefully they let blizzard handle titan
lyricist/beat-maker/gamer/hermit

ric

Post by ric »

360 wrote:Aside from the tech, they seem to be more casual friendly unless explicitly stated otherwise.

WoW is a prime example: In the first 3-5 years of it's existence, it was pure hardcore. As they released new expansions, and realized they were becoming the most popular game in the world, they made it easier to obtain prized items so less players would quit the game. It obviously worked.

Now, WoW is a fisher price MMO and the level of satisfaction derived from the game has been exponentially reduced.

IMO, once they decided to abandon the hardcore players' requests, they should have made other game to cater to hardcore players. They can certainly afford it.

Speaking of which, I am quite curious about Titan.
:cheers:

thanks. so what are some examples? like how did the hardcore guys like it and how did they want it to change? and what did they end up changing?

its easier to get cool items. dungeons/caves are probably easier. character customization probably focuses around more powerful skills earlier. any of this hit the mark? anything else?

Post by 360 »

I'm sure anymore. I stopped playing back when things got too easy.

The main reason i started this thread is because the next gen games look pretty cool so I wanted to discuss that but Combo unintentionally derailed the thread at post one.

But yea, some games are easier and streamlined. There are new ones that seem promising, though

ric

Post by ric »

ok so what do you look for that you think is promising?

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

im def looking forward to the combat system for GW2. It is heavily self reliant as far as staying alive, but very team oriented as in your spells and skills react differently depending on what your teammates are doing. So its about team work but youre not so dependent on healers keeping you alive

ric

Post by ric »

your spells and skills react differently depending on what your teammates are doing
:ohsh: example?

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

ric wrote:
your spells and skills react differently depending on what your teammates are doing
:ohsh: example?

imagine shooting an arrow thru someone elses fireball spell and your arrow catches fire for extra dmg...shit like that

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

If we were all in high school I'd soooooo be beating you guys up right now.

But we're not, and despite not having any fucking idea what the hell you're all even talking about, it sounds kinda cool

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

PopeyeJones wrote:If we were all in high school I'd soooooo be beating you guys up right now.

But we're not, and despite not having any fucking idea what the hell you're all even talking about, it sounds kinda cool
:larry:

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

thread got real

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

So are the two Final Fantasy MMOs confirmed to be terrible? Anyone play them?

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Tired & Broke wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote:If we were all in high school I'd soooooo be beating you guys up right now.

The "sooooooooooooo" wasn't kind of a tip off for you?

Post by 360 »

It is cool, Pops. MMO's are excellent hobbies for people with reasonable amounts of intelligence.

However, if you have an addictive personality, I would stay far away

ric

Post by ric »

@ayentee
sweet
Combo7 wrote:So are the two Final Fantasy MMOs confirmed to be terrible? Anyone play them?
i dont do these online games, and i havent played them but they are probably certified garbage. franchise has gotten weak as fuck since 10 (overall). just some input from someone who doesnt know anything about mmo games

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Tired & Broke wrote:

The "sooooooooooooo" wasn't kind of a tip off for you?
Yea but that was too easy tho.

wheels

Post by wheels »

ric wrote:
360 wrote:Aside from the tech, they seem to be more casual friendly unless explicitly stated otherwise.

WoW is a prime example: In the first 3-5 years of it's existence, it was pure hardcore. As they released new expansions, and realized they were becoming the most popular game in the world, they made it easier to obtain prized items so less players would quit the game. It obviously worked.

Now, WoW is a fisher price MMO and the level of satisfaction derived from the game has been exponentially reduced.

IMO, once they decided to abandon the hardcore players' requests, they should have made other game to cater to hardcore players. They can certainly afford it.

Speaking of which, I am quite curious about Titan.
:cheers:

thanks. so what are some examples? like how did the hardcore guys like it and how did they want it to change? and what did they end up changing?

its easier to get cool items. dungeons/caves are probably easier. character customization probably focuses around more powerful skills earlier. any of this hit the mark? anything else?
Without going in to too much detail-

In the original version of WOW, when blizzard released a new raid zone they didn't do anything to make the previous zones easier. In order to complete the upper tier raids you needed a full set of gear from the starter raids. So the vast majority of the playerbase was 'stuck' on the first couple of raid zones and never even saw the later ones. The people who were able to clear the higher level content were easy to spot, because they looked a lot cooler and if you ever had to fight them they'd cave your face in.

This was when raids required 40 people to complete. Organizing and coordinating 40 people used to be a big part of the challenge.

Now, you can raid with 10 people. There's multiple difficulty levels so that everybody can experience the content. If you still can't finish a dungeon on the easiest setting, they'll make it easier for you once they've released a new raid zone. Better gear comes from the higher difficulty levels, but it all kind of looks the same and it's not easy to tell who is who.

Spartan

Re: MMO Thread

Post by Spartan »

Wish I had a PC and a shit load of free time.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Watched this vid and it reminded me of this OLD thread:

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

hahahahahhah

good lord

Post by 360 »

Reminds me of the blackwing lair days.