MMO Thread

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

MMO Thread

Post by 360 »

There are quite a few MMO's for the PC on the horizon the seem to really push the boundaries of the genre and finally mark the next step it's evolution.

Dust514 and ArcheAge are two that I'm keeping my eye on. Archeage, especially.

Considering the fact that the next gen consoles are going usher in another era of MMO's, the future approaches rapidly.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Where do you find the time to play that shit?

ric

Post by ric »

whats archeage's schtick, and why are you eyeing it?

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Keep hearing so much about Guild Wars 2 ushering in the new-school MMO's.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OtpGX8g12dQ?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OtpGX8g12dQ?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

wheels

Post by wheels »

Combo7 wrote:Where do you find the time to play that shit?
The same place you find time to do anything else?

Guild Wars 2 is supposed to be amazing, but I'm really sick of dragons and magic and shit. I'm not sure why there's so many games with that kind of setting. I'd prefer almost anything

TOR is good, I guess. The class storylines make for an awesome leveling experience, more like a single player game, but after those are over it kind of falls flat. Supposedly this is being worked on, but who knows. I'm having a hard time logging in to play it.

Anyone tried wakfu?

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

wow for life....ive tried a bunch of other mmo's and they just dont hold up. It could be that Ive spent so much time playing wow that I just dont have the heart to commit to another game.
lyricist/beat-maker/gamer/hermit

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

Haven't ever gotten into MMOs, but I admit that a large chunk of the reasoning for that is simply based on the fear that I'll like it too much. Can't afford to get trapped in one of those games, man.

Besides, I'm more of a console gamer anyway.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Project Copernicus is apparently out sometime this year but with so little info about it, I highly doubt we'll see it getting released this year or even in 2013.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

wheels wrote:
Combo7 wrote:Where do you find the time to play that shit?
The same place you find time to do anything else?

Didn't mean to come off like I'm above MMOs or anything, I'm sure there are some out there I'd like. I just think of how my brother used to spend 90% of his leisure time sitting in front of the computer playing WoW and I've always thought that that level of devotion was required to make any real progress in games like that. I'm talking hundreds of hours. Easy for an unemployed 19-year-old to pull off, but I've always wondered how older people make it work.

wheels

Post by wheels »

The thing about MMOs is that if you're playing them 8+ hours a day, a lot of your time is spent sitting around doing nothing. You're sitting around a capitol city chatting, or looking for groups or whatever. I've found that generally speaking, people who are online that much are usually just logged in for the hell of it, and not actually doing anything.

The way most of them work is you have to play like crazy to get things quickly, or get them when they're new. If you just play at a normal pace, you'll eventually get everything the die-hards have, and often at a discount. You just won't be the first. If you want to stay at the front of the curve you'll need to put in a shitload of time. Same goes for the leveling process.

Dungeons are made easier when the new ones come out. Player vs. player rewards become cheaper when there's something better out there. Developers lock the majority of the playerbase out of new content with skill or gear checks, but eventually let everyone in when it's no longer fresh.

I've been both types of MMO player. It's fun to be the first to beat new content, but it's also nice to just wait shit out and play at your own pace.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

LameAim wrote:Haven't ever gotten into MMOs, but I admit that a large chunk of the reasoning for that is simply based on the fear that I'll like it too much. Can't afford to get trapped in one of those games, man.

This x 100, prefer gaming with a controller rather than keyboard/mouse combo.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Tired & Broke wrote:
LameAim wrote:Haven't ever gotten into MMOs, but I admit that a large chunk of the reasoning for that is simply based on the fear that I'll like it too much. Can't afford to get trapped in one of those games, man.

This x 100, prefer gaming with a controller rather than keyboard/mouse combo.
I'm at the exact opposite of the spectrum. I hate consoles and controllers. Keyboard and mouse any day!

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

wheels wrote:The thing about MMOs is that if you're playing them 8+ hours a day, a lot of your time is spent sitting around doing nothing. You're sitting around a capitol city chatting, or looking for groups or whatever. I've found that generally speaking, people who are online that much are usually just logged in for the hell of it, and not actually doing anything.

The way most of them work is you have to play like crazy to get things quickly, or get them when they're new. If you just play at a normal pace, you'll eventually get everything the die-hards have, and often at a discount. You just won't be the first. If you want to stay at the front of the curve you'll need to put in a shitload of time. Same goes for the leveling process.

Dungeons are made easier when the new ones come out. Player vs. player rewards become cheaper when there's something better out there. Developers lock the majority of the playerbase out of new content with skill or gear checks, but eventually let everyone in when it's no longer fresh.

I've been both types of MMO player. It's fun to be the first to beat new content, but it's also nice to just wait shit out and play at your own pace.
this. right now i'm a pretty casual wow player. I play at most about 10 hours a week due to other obligations. I'd like more but I'll settle for what I can squeeze in. When new content comes out I usually do around 50 hours a week for about a month or two. I make it work. My girl is usually pretty understanding but I can see her patience begin to wear thin toward the end of the binge. I dunno how to say this without it sounding super sad (its not), mmo gaming and wow in particular is possibly the most rewarding and fulfilling aspect of my life. Not to say its the only thing, but it is the greatest.

Russian
NSFW

Post by Russian »

Ayentee, how about a MMO rap album? Can that work?

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

Russian wrote:Ayentee, how about a MMO rap album? Can that work?
hmmm....combining my two biggest loves? I know its already been done before and Im not sure I can improve on the genre but I may give it a shot one of these days once I have nothing left

Russian
NSFW

Post by Russian »

Who did it? Mmo based album?

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

Russian wrote:Who did it? Mmo based album?
dunno about an entire album but there is tons of dumb shit out there like this

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ltM5jHIJFw4?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ltM5jHIJFw4?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Russian
NSFW

Post by Russian »

ayentee wrote:
Russian wrote:Who did it? Mmo based album?
dunno about an entire album but there is tons of dumb shit out there like this

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ltM5jHIJFw4?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ltM5jHIJFw4?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

nah lol, i turned it off after 7 seconds

yours should be about ingame storries . non wow related, but still mmo related and how the game is destroying your life

10 tracks max

Have you ever heard Above by Mad Season? One of my all time favorite albums. On that album Layne Staley , on every track, sang about how his addiction to heroin was destroying his life....so I am thinking this MMO album should take note of Above.
:)

wheels

Post by wheels »

Do a song about how the outrageous monthly fee is a tremendous drain on your finances

Russian
NSFW

Post by Russian »

Lol

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Do a song about Pandas!

Russian
NSFW

Post by Russian »

Are Pandas in MMOs?

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

Next warcraft xpac is about kung fu panda monks

Post by 360 »

You can make an album based on WoW, but remember that it will never be as amazing as "Rapwing Lair".

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

that shit is illmatic.

ric

Post by ric »

what is the difference between the new and old generation mmos?
i dont play them but im just interested in hearing about how things are changing

Post by 360 »

Aside from the tech, they seem to be more casual friendly unless explicitly stated otherwise.

WoW is a prime example: In the first 3-5 years of it's existence, it was pure hardcore. As they released new expansions, and realized they were becoming the most popular game in the world, they made it easier to obtain prized items so less players would quit the game. It obviously worked.

Now, WoW is a fisher price MMO and the level of satisfaction derived from the game has been exponentially reduced.

IMO, once they decided to abandon the hardcore players' requests, they should have made other game to cater to hardcore players. They can certainly afford it.

Speaking of which, I am quite curious about Titan.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

supposedly, it's many of the wow vanilla team staff working on titan.

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

360 wrote:Aside from the tech, they seem to be more casual friendly unless explicitly stated otherwise.

WoW is a prime example: In the first 3-5 years of it's existence, it was pure hardcore. As they released new expansions, and realized they were becoming the most popular game in the world, they made it easier to obtain prized items so less players would quit the game. It obviously worked.

Now, WoW is a fisher price MMO and the level of satisfaction derived from the game has been exponentially reduced.

IMO, once they decided to abandon the hardcore players' requests, they should have made other game to cater to hardcore players. They can certainly afford it.

Speaking of which, I am quite curious about Titan.

Let's just hope activision doesn't get their hands on titan

Post by 360 »

Well, they kind of have their hands on it by default.